• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Other hobbies/passions/loves

Re: Few of my interest

C-pher said:
Where in TN are you going?
I can answer that - just north of Crossville, Fairfield Glade. I loved it down there when we went last February, I never knew Tennessee was so gorgeous. We spent lots of time in the different state parks down there, I can't wait to go back.

We may be making a stop in TN this fall. Our other sorta son graduates AIT in Georgia, but a friend of ours from the ARMY just got a hold of us after 20 some years. Which was cool. He was at Deven's with Glenn and Berlin with both of us. Be nice to see him again. [lol]

reinbeau said:
C-pher said:
I can answer that - just north of Crossville, Fairfield Glade. I loved it down there when we went last February, I never knew Tennessee was so gorgeous. We spent lots of time in the different state parks down there, I can't wait to go back.

That's out eastern TN, correct? Crossville is out near Knoxville. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that on the signs for 40 on my way to my Aunt's from Memphis. Mom's in Memphis, Aunt's in Knoxville.

I love Tennessee. It's a great state with a lot to do. Eastern TN is wonderfull.

I guess I missed this thread a ways back, so I'll contribute now.

Besides our common love, I have always collected coins although lately I have been giving them away to my grandkids. I also like antiques, and have a house full.

Since the early 60's, I had (and restored) several antique cars. My first was a 31 Model A Roadster that I restore in high school and drove as my ony car for several years. I"ll have to dig up a photo of me back then. I've restored a couple of Model A's and T's and have had this 1914 Touring car since 1978. I bought it as an older restoration that needed redoing badly. I did a total restoration about 1980 and since then it's been all over New England and NY. It particulary likes Vermont where it has gone many thousands of miles. This picture was taken in Maine.

mt.jpg

This is how I've been getting the T to our vacation spots. When we get there we use the T exclusively. I'm inheriting a motor home in the spring so the camper will be retired. This picture was taken at a Lake Willoughby Vt campground.

dfcamper.jpg

As soon as I can figure out what the slide in camper is worth, it will be for sale in the yard sale forum.

C-pher said:
reinbeau said:
C-pher said:

That's out eastern TN, correct? Crossville is out near Knoxville.
It's about 3 hours West of Knoxville.

Shemp said:
I play guitar, collect guitars and amps, ski, play golf, breed, raise and show Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Neat! One of my close friends when I was a kid had a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Simba. (yeah, real original name, right? :D) She was a total mush, though... wouldn't hurt a fly.

Ross

I love classic cars, although I don't have the time, money, or talent to work on them, but my main love is music. I play guitar, e-bass, upright bass, and some drums. Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Punk, Oi!, Ska, Surf, Country, Jazz, Big Band... I'm a bit eclectic. :)

satansteardrops11.jpg

EDIT: To add photo.

Dude there are a BUNCH of Divers here!

I haven't gotten wet since I moved to Mass we need to get together when the seas warm a bit!

I also enjoy tinkering with computers (Got one that I've frigg-rigged to play MP3s and (almost) DVDs down on my cleaning bench for the grand total of $35!!!)

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I'm a gardener, I love to grow anything outdoors, veggies, flowers, I've been gardening in this yard for 28 years. Mom's an herbalist, as was her grandmother. It's in our blood :D I'm also an amateur naturalist, Hubby and I go backroading up in Maine and NH all the time, and I'll see something along the side of the road and shout "Honey, please stop!" and he'll (usually) patiently wait while I get out and check out a trillium or lily along the side of the road. I love exploring those paper roads up in northern Maine. We also have a canoe and kayaks, but we don't get out enough in them (!!)

Cross-X said:
When not out shooting, I herd cats.

That used to be our Company Motto...or logo...or corperate phrase...whatever you want to call it. We even had a Superbowl commercial about us herding cats.

Here's the one that was played during a Superbowl.

http://www.visit4info.com/static/advert_pages/13858.cfm

And I've always wanted to learn how to dive. Just never followed through because I don't know anyone else that wants to do it.

By the way, when not out having fun at the range, or herding cats, I also (used to) scuba dive.

It has been far too long since I got my gills wet. The highpoint of my dive adventures was the trip to the U-853 off of Block Island where I penetrated the sub and found some goodies.

I nearly died in that wreck. Whew!

Hey I wanna do an easy dive to get back into it. Seriously, we need to get wet!!! NES STYLE!!! 8)

I'm DYING to get back into it!

I have all the gear just hanging in my Parent's garage!

No need for that!

I'd say diveing has GOT to be like shooting a gun or riding a bike. All the skills are still there...just gotta crank the rust out.

Plus I haven't dove since I quit smoking! I bet my bubble-time is WAYYY better now!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beardedited for language. Please keep it clean. Sue

Weer'd Beard said:
Hey I wanna do an easy dive to get back into it. Seriously, we need to get wet!!! NES STYLE!!! 8)

No need for that!

I'd say diveing has GOT to be like shooting a gun or riding a bike. All the skills are still there...just gotta crank the rust out.

Plus I haven't dove since I quit smoking! I bet my bubble-time is WAYYY better now!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I guess that I'm going to ahve to look into classes and getting my cert.
And I guess that I have to get gear. Is gear pretty reasonable. Or is it going to cost a fortune? edited for language. Sue

I think that basic SCUBA certification currently runs aroung $400-$500 including the required open water dives and equipment rental. You'll also need to buy your own fins, mask and snorkel. (Who would want to rent shoes, socks or a toothbrush?) After that, it costs about the same as skiing. You can rent your gear for a day of diving for about the same as skis, boots and bindings, or you can buy your own gear starting at a few hundred dollars for everything. You can usually shore dive for just the cost of tank fills (~$5), or go with a group on a boat for $50-$75.

One thing that you'll very quickly discover is that cold air and cold water are two entirely different things. I've done my share of diving around here and in California, where the water temperature tends to run from 40-65 degrees, but don't really enjoy it any more. I much prefer 80-85 degree dives in places like Cozumel, Belize and the Caymans. Of course I also prefer 100-200 foot visibility to 5-10 foot, but that's less important.

Ken

heheh all I know is cold gulf of Maine diving.

I use a 7mm Shorty and 7mm Farmer John with a skirted hood, and I'm pleanty warm if it's not early in the summer, or into fall.

Also yer right bundled up like playing in the snow.....but I don't know any better (Yet) [lol]

Still makin bubbles is badass!

-Weer'd Beard

C-pher said:
Weer'd Beard said:

No need for that!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I guess that I'm going to ahve to look into classes and getting my cert.
And I guess that I have to get gear. Is gear pretty reasonable. Or is it going to cost a fortune? edited for language. Sue

What Language? I didn't say anything...but Ok.

KMaurer said:
I think that basic SCUBA certification currently runs aroung $400-$500 including the required open water dives and equipment rental. You'll also need to buy your own fins, mask and snorkel. (Who would want to rent shoes, socks or a toothbrush?) After that, it costs about the same as skiing. You can rent your gear for a day of diving for about the same as skis, boots and bindings, or you can buy your own gear starting at a few hundred dollars for everything. You can usually shore dive for just the cost of tank fills (~$5), or go with a group on a boat for $50-$75.

One thing that you'll very quickly discover is that cold air and cold water are two entirely different things. I've done my share of diving around here and in California, where the water temperature tends to run from 40-65 degrees, but don't really enjoy it any more. I much prefer 80-85 degree dives in places like Cozumel, Belize and the Caymans. Of course I also prefer 100-200 foot visibility to 5-10 foot, but that's less important.

Ken

There's a dive shop down the street from me on RT 1 just past the mall. I might have to go and check it out.

That's Glenn's other hobbies also. Especially in the 4-wheel drive hobby.
Still like it though. We have had a great time with it as a family.

Back
Top Bottom