• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Our Next Governor?

AG calls DA investigating deaths of contributor's daughters

By Glen Johnson
Associated Press

BOSTON - Attorney General Tom Reilly called the district attorney investigating a car crash that killed the daughters of a campaign contributor, telling him he did not have to release reports revealing whether the teenagers were drunk at the time.

In the aftermath of the call from Reilly, Worcester District Attorney John Conte has not provided copies of the girls' autopsy reports to local police, hampering their efforts to file charges of providing alcohol to a minor.

"I was certainly surprised by the involvement of the AG's office," Northborough Police Chief Mark Leahy told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "They don't ordinarily get involved in these matters."

Shauna Murphy, 17, and Meghan Murphy, 15, were killed on Oct. 13 when their sport utility vehicle slammed into a utility pole in Southborough. The crash triggered a wave of public grief for the photogenic pair of Algonquin Regional High School students. It also injured a classmate, Melissa Smith, 15, of Northborough.

The Murphys were the daughters of Christopher and Michelle Murphy of Southborough. Campaign finance records show Christopher Murphy donated $300 to Reilly's campaign committee on June 30. Reilly, the state's chief law enforcement officer, is a Democratic candidate for governor.

A spokesman said Reilly knows the family, but insisted that politics were not a factor in the unsolicited call he placed to Conte in mid-November. And the spokesman, David Guarino, said Reilly was concerned only about releasing the reports to the media, not police officers.

"It's a horrible tragedy within one family," Reilly said in an interview on WGBH-TV. "I thought that this family had suffered enough and that those records were private medical records and should not be made public."

"There's no criminal case that certainly I know of," he added.

After the crash, Leahy assigned detectives to retrace the girls' movements since their direction of travel indicated they had come from his town.

While there was no evidence of alcohol at the scene, he said, "You had a horrific high-speed crash with young operators. Statistically, we know that is one of the things we have to look at early on."

The investigators determined the Murphys had been watching a baseball playoff game before the crash. The detectives also believe both girls had been drinking, Leahy said, but that conclusion is based on secondhand information from other law enforcement sources.

Police are considering charges of illegal procurement of alcohol for a minor, Leahy said, but he declined to elaborate. They were anxious to review a copy of the girls' toxicology reports, part of the broader autopsy reports, but were dissuaded after Conte's office declared it wouldn't be releasing them, the chief said.

Leahy also said his office has been awaiting a determination on charges from Conte's office, which would have to prosecute any charges. "Basically we're seeking a clarification of the social host statute to see if it will apply to our case," he said.

Karen Foley, Conte's administrator, told the MetroWest Daily News in a Dec. 21 article that the district attorney "doesn't anticipate any charges stemming from this accident."

The newspaper published a follow-up story last Friday revealing the phone call from Reilly, although the attorney general's office refused to reveal who initiated the call and why. Following the publication of the second article, Conte's office agreed to review Leahy's proposed complaint, the chief said.

Contacted Tuesday by the AP, Foley took a detailed phone message but Conte did not return a call seeking comment. Another spokeswoman said Wednesday that Conte was out of the office and not immediately available for comment.

Christopher Murphy said in a brief phone conversation: "I'm sorry; we're still grieving here. I have no comment."

Southborough police also investigated the crash, since it occurred in their town.

Investigators determined that Shauna Murphy had been driving her parents' 2000 Land Rover at 59 miles per hour in a 35-mph zone. The crash occurred about 1 a.m., an hour after the midnight curfew for newly licensed drivers.

William Webber, the Southborough police chief, said his investigation was complete, pending receipt of a final report from the State Police accident reconstruction team.

"There is no prosecution on this one because the operator is deceased," Webber said Tuesday.

Conte is the most senior of the state's 11 district attorneys, having taken office in 1976. Reilly himself was the district attorney of neighboring Middlesex County before being elected attorney general in 1998.

Reilly's call to Conte came two weeks after Massachusetts enacted Melanie's Law, tough new drunken driving legislation backed by the attorney general.

Guarino, the Reilly spokesman, said the attorney general routinely talks to district attorneys. In the case of the Murphy sisters, he said Reilly initiated the call to Conte after learning local reporters wanted to know whether the girls had been drinking.

"There's plenty of case law," Guarino said, to support the contention the autopsy reports are private medical records.

"Tom's campaign had nothing whatsoever to do with this," Guarino said. "He knows the Murphy family but had no contact with them about this case."

Leahy says the crash and subsequent investigation have raised a number of issues that deserve public discussion. Among them were the girls' level of intoxication and how they may have received any alcohol.

"Those things need to be discussed in any responsible community, and there never can be the appearance that the police department is not doing its job," the chief said.

Asked whether the district attorney and attorney general had tried to stymie his investigation, Leahy said: "I hope not."

JT

RKO is talking about this now.

If alcohol wasn't involved, then why not say it? One can only assume that alsohol WAS involved in the crash, and they were all minors. Now, someone had to sell or serve it to them. Forget that they gave it to minors - 2 kids DIED!! Someone has to pay for this.

One wonders why the parents aren't screaming to find out who was responsible... hmmm??

As far as I'm concerned, the AG is aiding and abetting the guilty party. He's the FLAMING AG!!!!!!! He doesn't deserve to hold his office, let alone be Gov.

derek said:
POWER!!! I WANT MORE POWER!!!!!

No shit.

This is completely unacceptable. I would suggest that everyone who disagrees with this, write to your local newspaper "letters to the editor" and complain about this. Not only is it unacceptable, but it's wrong.

From the Boston Herald:

“They didn’t hurt anybody but themselves,” [Reilly] said — even though 15-year-old Melissa Smith of Northboro was seriously injured in the crash.

So, now, according to the newly announced Reilly Doctrine, injuries or deaths caused by drunk driving will not be investigated, out of respect for the families of the drunks.

I wonder if I accidentally shoot someone on my street, if Reilly will take into account how much I've suffered as a result of my carelessness and urge the police to drop the case.

This guy is a Grade-A a**h***.

Correction - he's the bacteria in the pus in the zit on the a**h***.

Lt. Gov. Healey should be on the phone to the Feds as we speak.

If you work this properly with the press, you can do some real damage to Reilly getting elected.

Most newspapers have no problem printing letters that expose misconduct of a politician, no matter how much they may like him.

Michael Graham (I'm listening now) had a lawyer on who said that Reilly is guilty of dereliction of duty.

And yes, for those of you listening...the email he read from Lynne from Haverhill is me. :D

Pardon my language, but....

Dear Attorney General Reilly,

A 22-year-old man from Randolph was drunk when he slammed his car into a house last night, killing his young female passenger. Surely, the family of this young man has been terribly traumatized, and has suffered greatly, as a result of this tragic accident.

Can we assume you'll be following your own precedent and calling for the Randolph Police Department to drop their investigation on this matter?

Sincerely,

Your worst nightmare, a voter with a brain...and guns.

p.s. Go f*** yourself, you disgraceful prick!

mAss Backwards said:
From the Boston Herald:
I wonder if I accidentally shoot someone on my street, if Reilly will take into account how much I've suffered as a result of my carelessness and urge the police to drop the case.

Only if you or your family has donated $300.00 or more to his campaign! Personally, I hope that this becomes big enough to derail his campaign for Gov.

Michael Graham was talking about this today on his show. Hopefully it will spread to the TV stations and newspapers, although I doubt it. If it were Mitt Romney that made the phone call...

Gary

Where is this state going? Crime is on the rise and it looks like our AG who has his eyes on being our next govornor wishes the highest elected official to be one as well. This man should be disbarred and removed from his office and duties because he clearly lacks the ethics and responsibility to be more than a crooked politician, something this state truely does not need.

Sent to the globe.

Consumer protection from firearms, in-state tuition for illegals, failure to indict Senator Dianne.Wilkerson and now this. I think he'll just rely on Ma**h***s having a short memory. This guy has big balls.

I'm with Bruce on this one. If he gets elected the people who voted deserve what is coming. :?

derek said:
I'm with Bruce on this one. If he gets elected the people who voted deserve what is coming. :?

The problem is that we'll get what we don't deserve. More nanny state laws, more restrictions on firearms, more stupid "for the children" regulation.

Gary

Well, in an effort to help our beleaguered friend Tom out, I suggest each of us send a politely worded message to Bill O'Reilly (use either www.billoreilly.com or www.foxnews.com) and suggest he investigate this cover-up. Bill was a big champion of the latest anti-drunk driving campaign. Providing a URL to Bill from the mainstream media on this issue will help the cause.

If Bill tackles it on national TV, this could be the "Willy Horton" that undoes his highness' aspirations for higher office. Tom can join Scotty at NU's Law School teaching ethics to the new breed of lawyers!
puke.gif

I already contributed to Tom's campaign by sending my message to Bill this AM.

Looks like Mass is going to have a referendum on Drunken Driving this coming November. That's definitely going to become an issue.

And Romney speaking out proves that even a Bozo can do the right thing sometimes.

Here's a poll at www.wtkk.com , cut and paste this into your browser. DO NOT click the link.

Do you feel there has been special treatment in the case of the Murphy sisters death?

Yes, AG Reilly is at fault 49%
Yes, DA Conte’s to blame 17%
Yes, a pox on both 17%
No, not at all 17%

Hit it.

Yes, AG Reilly is at fault 67%
Yes, DA Conte’s to blame 11%
Yes, a pox on both 11%
No, not at all 11%

Well (he said, strapping on his vest one more time), I urge folks to read Brian McGrory's column in this morning's Boston Glob. As improbable as it sounds and infrequently as it occurs, on this one McGrory got it exactly right.

The underlying story is that there is a dispute between the Marlboro Police Chief and the Worcester District Attorney. The Chief wanted to prosecute the parents of the home where the Murphy Sisters had been drinking; the charge would be "alllowing a minor to consume alchohol." Conte took the position, quite correctly, that the social host law did not make that a crime, since the minor had come to the premises with his booze already in hand. It is a crime (in a social context) to "furnish" alcohol to a minor.

If you look at the facts carefully, something the Glob usually does not, you'll see that Reilly took no position on whether a criminal action should be commenced or investigation pursued. His only instruction, which was quite correct, is that the medical examiner's report is not a public record and cannot be disclosed to the media or the public. The fact of the matter is that (unlike some other officials), Conte already knew that, so Reilly's telephone call had exactly zero influence on the play-out of events.

Whatever anyone thinks of the man on any other issue, on this one the charge is quite bogus.

Now I duck.

RKG said:
If you look at the facts carefully, something the Glob usually does not, you'll see that Reilly took no position on whether a criminal action should be commenced or investigation pursued. His only instruction, which was quite correct, is that the medical examiner's report is not a public record and cannot be disclosed to the media or the public.

Giving the records to the media is one thing, giving it to the police to pursue a criminal investigation is totally different. :?

Back
Top Bottom