Our Son Passed Away On Friday

On Sunday afternoon, we had the wake for our son James and yesterday we had his funeral mass at Sacred Heart Church in Pinehurst, NC. It was an almost perfect day with a cloudless sky and about 70 degrees. We just didn't have our son walking with us.
We know our son is at peace with God, my family is coping the best they may and his wife is holding up well, much better than I am. I will muddle through this but with a long term mission not to let what happen to our son happen to another person, his life story needs to be heard whether it is at an AA meeting, a grief session with high school kids so they understand how quickly a life may be stolen by alcohol and drugs, that will be my therapy.
So, so many of you wonderful folks have reached out to my family and I with such kind words and private messages, every one helps us so much. Many of you contributed to our GoFundMe for Jame's funeral expenses. Every 20, 30 50 and 100 dollar donation is so greatly appreciated. Without your help, I guess we would have taken a loan out as burial expenses, like everything else, has become so costly. The sudden loss of a loved one is just so horrible.
Thank you Derek for allowing us to post his fundraiser.
I so deeply cannot thank you all enough, my heart is warmed by your kindness.
May God watch over our son James and my family,
Jim

On Sunday afternoon, we had the wake for our son James and yesterday we had his funeral mass at Sacred Heart Church in Pinehurst, NC. It was an almost perfect day with a cloudless sky and about 70 degrees. We just didn't have our son walking with us.
We know our son is at peace with God, my family is coping the best they may and his wife is holding up well, much better than I am. I will muddle through this but with a long term mission not to let what happen to our son happen to another person, his life story needs to be heard whether it is at an AA meeting, a grief session with high school kids so they understand how quickly a life may be stolen by alcohol and drugs, that will be my therapy.
So, so many of you wonderful folks have reached out to my family and I with such kind words and private messages, every one helps us so much. Many of you contributed to our GoFundMe for Jame's funeral expenses. Every 20, 30 50 and 100 dollar donation is so greatly appreciated. Without your help, I guess we would have taken a loan out as burial expenses, like everything else, has become so costly. The sudden loss of a loved one is just so horrible.
Thank you Derek for allowing us to post his fundraiser.
I so deeply cannot thank you all enough, my heart is warmed by your kindness.
May God watch over our son James and my family,
Jim
I hope you and your family have time to yourselves to grieve. The last week must have been overwhelming and now it's time to take care of yourself.

How time flies. Tonight marks the 1 year point since our son was called home to Heaven. To try to put into words that describe roller coasters of emotion, hours upon hours of reflecting life, on past years of myself, our family and especially our boy, the self-torment, it would over-qualify for a TL;DR.
But, what I have found is life goes on and no matter how hard it is, you cannot allow yourself to be consumed by emotions, especially grief, but use them as stepping stones for understanding why what happened, happened, and to live a better day, everyday.
My son James was a wonderful and terrific young man. He is greatly missed.

I thank the NES community for nightly/daily laughs, heated and often times, extremely laughable petty arguments that remind me of schoolyard immaturities. Laughter and good banter really does help one's psych!!! And actually living in Clown World America keeps a never ending flow of amusements and mind wandering hilarity.
Life is wonderful, enjoy every minute of it.

And I finally went Green again, Cheers!!!

How time flies. Tonight marks the 1 year point since our son was called home to Heaven. To try to put into words that describe roller coasters of emotion, hours upon hours of reflecting life, on past years of myself, our family and especially our boy, the self-torment, it would over-qualify for a TL;DR.
But, what I have found is life goes on and no matter how hard it is, you cannot allow yourself to be consumed by emotions, especially grief, but use them as stepping stones for understanding why what happened, happened, and to live a better day, everyday.

I thank the NES community for nightly/daily laughs, heated and often times, extremely laughable petty arguments that remind me of schoolyard immaturities. Laughter and good banter really does help one's psych!!! And actually living in Clown World America keeps a never ending flow of amusements and mind wandering hilarity.

Glad you're here.

This is a hard one!!!
Friday night, March 25, our son James IV passed away here at home. I won't go into the details of this, but if you go to the Moore County, N.C. Sheriff's Facebook page, the details are there. No parent should ever have to be placed in this situation!!! James suffered from substance abuse, both alcohol and other items. He was a great kid, played hockey for the Springfield Jr. Falcons as a young man and later went into MMA and boxing. He has a beautiful wife Madison and 2 young children, James and Carolyn ages 2 and 6 months. James graduated from Cleveland Community College Lineman's academy in Shelby, N.C. and worked as a lineman for a couple years until the disease took over his life. James completed a 45 day inpatient therapy and counseling program at Samaritan Colony in Rockingham, N.C. being released on Dec. 17th. He went to his AA meetings and we tried to keep as close of an eye on him as possible as James and his family lived with us. Unfortunately, he relapsed hard, very hard which culminated in the incident on March 25th.
I ask everyone to please do everything in their power and then some to get anyone they may know the help and continued follow up health that tragically ends so many lives due to these horrible addictions.
I also ask that everyone please keep this young man and his family in their thoughts and prayers. I have posted 2 links, one is for a GoFundMe to help offset his funeral expenses and the other is to Moore County Sheriff's Facebook page. I also would like to thank the Moore County EMT's, Moore County Sheriff's Office and Cypress Pointe Fire Department for their lifesaving attempts and just being a good bunch of folks in these most difficult times.
May the Good Lord watch over my son's soul.

Fundraiser for James Edward McCormick IV Funeral, organized by Jim McCormick

So sorry for your loss. Please know that you did the best that you could, and it's not your fault.

Warm prayers heading your way.

Prayers of peace for you and your family. I too lost my only son at age 28. He was a paranoid schizophrenic who suffered daily from the effects of his disease. Took his meds, saw his therapist, and psychiatrist faithfully. Didn't help. After 10 long years of daily suffering, he broke into my gun room drilled the lock on one of my rifles and ended his pain. My pain just began. It is never ending and as deep three years out as if it was yesterday. Find comfort in his children and your loved ones cause the loss will remain. So sorry.
Know that you are not alone, and that people care.

It's easy just to give in to depression. It sounds like you and your family are strong. I can't imagine the pain but I'm glad you are able to move on with life.

Jim, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It's been seventeen months for us. My wife and I have been moving forward but some days are tougher than others.
We're grateful for what we have, but sometimes it seems like we're in a fog. I forget things and or misplace things, and my wife's worse than me. We had to get a duplicate Title for our daughters car so we can sell it. We, aka she, lost it two days after it came in the mail. Just sent for another duplicate Title. Stuff like that. My grandsons will ask about their aunt sometimes. I enjoy telling them stories about her. It has become much easier as time goes on. I will continue to pray for you and your family in my morning prayers as I drive to work. I agree, life is wonderful, and I will try to enjoy every minute of it.

I cried when I read your initial post and my eyes tear up reading this now. We lost our only son in 2012 and there is no greater pain. The ups and down and the highs and lows can be hard but I'm glad to hear you are doing well under the weight of it all. Keep holding the memories close and stay well and be good to yourself.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom