Our Son

FrugalFannie

NES Member
now answers to Pvt. G. He went to Ft Benning on Oct 1. Got texts on the way there. And a 4:30 am call the next morning saying he was "moving on." Even got a bunch of texts and then a short call on Sunday. But DAMN! They wake up early! LOL

Things sure have changed. I remember waiting 4 weeks to get a chance to wait in line for one of the 4 pay phones.

BTW, I stamped and addressed 4 envelopes for him to us, put a couple sheets of paper in each and gave them to him before he left. I told him I didn't expect whole volumes but he likely wouldn't have phone privileges and we would like to here from him. He told me Sunday he already sent me 1 letter. [smile]
No, I don't expect that will stay consistent. But I REALLY appreciate it. Can't wait for the mail to actually get here!!!

I have heard thru the grapevine that we will get a 30 sec "scripted call" before he moves from reception to Basic.

Don’t forget to send him a box of empty Snickers and Big Mac wrappers and tell him how good they all tasted. And write on the outside of the box how he shouldn’t worry because all the DS’s are pussies and just trying to scare him into doing push ups. 😱😂
Congrats BTW, I’m sure you’re a very proud mama.

Congrats!

Yup, 30 seconds is about right. Just enough time to say "Hi, I'm good. Relax. Calm down. Gotta go."

When I was there we made the call once we got to our battalion/company, far too many people at Johnston Hall. IIRC each company AO had about a dozen phones and it seemed someone was always trying to sneak out a call during the first few weeks.

Don’t forget to send him a box of empty Snickers and Big Mac wrappers and tell him how good they all tasted. And write on the outside of the box how he shouldn’t worry because all the DS’s are pussies and just trying to scare him into doing push ups. 😱😂
Congrats BTW, I’m sure you’re a very proud mama.
that is awesome....cruel...but still awesome. [rofl]

Congrats!

We got the 30 second scripted call too. Then it was 3 or 4 weeks before they were allowed to call home again. Usually on a Sunday afternoon.

My son matured so much through his training. It was awesome to see!

Pro tip... if your son can get a gig in the military that requires a top secret clearance he'll have a golden ticket to the job market when he finishes. They are in big demand.

Congrats, Mom and family!!!

that is awesome....cruel...but still awesome. [rofl]

Mail call can be fun for everyone. Especially when the instructors have to check each box and have the student open it right there for contraband checks.

We’ve sent many boxes with a big black dildo and Big Mac wrappers in it and then write something about the instructors on the outside of the box. It’s just PT reinforcement.

Actually a good time of year to be at Fort Beginning.

If he gets a pass [much] later in training, tell him not to go to the hotels on Victory Drive. There are a couple malls that have hotels, restaurants, stores, movie theaters - and normal girls. Much better option.

Also stay out of Phenix City, across the River in AL.

The selection and prices at gun shows and pawn shops there will make you weep.

Last edited:
Nice, congrats to you and your son. We were lucky to go for my son's OSUT graduation at Benning in March 2019. If you can go, check out the Infantry Museum, great place. We got a letter saying not to send him anything. Depending on his unit, there are Facebook or other similar where they post pictures of the training and we occasionally saw a picture the NCO's posted with him in it. It was also in the letter they sent us once he started.

Nice, congrats to you and your son. We were lucky to go for my son's OSUT graduation at Benning in March 2019. If you can go, check out the Infantry Museum, great place. We got a letter saying not to send him anything. Depending on his unit, there are Facebook or other similar where they post pictures of the training and we occasionally saw a picture the NCO's posted with him in it. It was also in the letter they sent us once he started.
Yep. If they allow parents at graduation we will be there. A friend's son just graduated AIT a couple months back and no family allowed due to Covid.

He's still at reception so he was allowed to call yesterday and we received our first letter from him yesterday as well. Also got to text with him this morning.

Yes @Skysoldier, he's going infantry.

Yes @Skysoldier, he's going infantry.

Good for him!

11B? Mortars? Antitank? Inquiring minds want to know.

Out of curiosity, are they training in masks these days? Or does everyone get tested a bunch? Other than the drill sergeants, BCT is a pretty closed system; provided you can keep the instructors from sucking in Covid fumes, the privates ought to be able to live and train together with little or no risk.

Good for him!

11B? Mortars? Antitank? Inquiring minds want to know.

Out of curiosity, are they training in masks these days? Or does everyone get tested a bunch? Other than the drill sergeants, BCT is a pretty closed system; provided you can keep the instructors from sucking in Covid fumes, the privates ought to be able to live and train together with little or no risk.

He's "officially" 11x right now, which doesn't exist. My understanding is that how he does in the first 9 weeks of BCT will determine where they slot him for the second half (AIT) of OSUT.

They have masks. Again, he's at reception so they wear those. Not doing regular PT but they "get smoked" a lot. LOL
They were tested for Covid yesterday and I can't remember if that was his second test but I believe so.

Back
Top Bottom