Out Of State Dealers At MA Shows

I was thinking of selling gun accessories at one of the shows held at the Big E grounds and I am in CT. Does anyone know if I can bring pump shotguns (and a Shockwave) from CT to MA for display? I called the State Police and was told we don't give legal advise...Tried a couple of Atty's and do not want to pay upwards of 200.00 for a 30 min phone consultation just to try a table or two one time.

^^^^ This

Also, you will need to get a Mass Sales Tax Certificate to sell anything in Mass and report said income to the state.

Is it really worth it to you?

I agree with Len... ask yourself if it's worth it. IMHO MA gun shows are on the verge of last rites at this point. If you're trying to hawk the wares at your CT store you're better off just putting up pictures, considering that nobody is going to be buying that stuff there anyways. Another fun problem... for anyone with cool stuff- Legal issues aside, some other dbag dealer will accuse you of selling them even if only for display, etc, and you'll catch the ire of the morally bankrupt promoter. There's already one dealer that's been pushed out of the shows for "selling stuff too cheaply" (and I'm 110% serious about this, lmao) because a few of the rape-artists at the show whined to the promoter.

-Mike

The viability depends. Are you going to offer better prices than places like Four Seasons in MA, or are you going to run with the philosophy "with all these people here, someone will pay retail for my stuff"?

I am old and my mind is slipping somewhat but I thought if it was a non high capacity longarm it could be brought into Ma by a non resident with not LTC or FID for the purposes of hunting, target practice, or gun show. Commercially it would seem to require a Ma Dealer's license.

Corrections encouraged.

I am old and my mind is slipping somewhat but I thought if it was a non high capacity longarm it could be brought into Ma by a non resident with not LTC or FID for the purposes of hunting, target practice, or gun show. Commercially it would seem to require a Ma Dealer's license.

Corrections encouraged.
Depends on how technically you read that statute; literally read the statute is a NOOP.

Depends on how technically you read that statute; literally read the statute is a NOOP.
Kinda.

OP isn't trying to sell gunz in Mass.
OP is trying to sell gun accessories at a gun show in Mass,
using a shotgun and a Shockwave as props.

I understand how police are uniformly instructed to interpret
MGL Ch. 140 §131G "Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions"
as void because none of the other 57 states satisfy this first-world <bleep>hole's
requirements for issuing licenses to felons and addicts.

And rumor is, the first-world <bleep>hole of Massachusetts
regards the Shockwave as a handgun, so 140:131G (at least)
doesn't enable their transitory possession in-state by non-residents.

But isn't non-resident possession of rifles and shotguns mediated by
MGL Ch. 131 §129C: "Application of Sec. 129B; ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition;
transfers; report to commissioner; exemptions; exhibiting license to carry, etc. on demand" and
MGL Ch. 140 §131F "Nonresidents or aliens; temporary license to carry firearms or ammunition"?

Because those latter two statutes don't have the "never mind" felon/drug clauses.

OTOH, the point seems moot to me.

OP's not proposing to bring his sales tool display gunz
into the state under a 140:131F temporary FID.

And because the (West) Springfield shows that OP wants to sell at aren't
"[131:129C] (i) ... organized by a regularly existing gun collectors' club or association",
they don't qualify for that exception.

Maybe OP has a "[131:129C] (f) ... valid nonresident hunting license",
and wants to sell "during hunting season"?

Or maybe OP is hoping that some idiot will have a Show Pop,
so the negligent discharge qualifies the show venue as a
"[131:129C] (g) ... firing or shooting range"?

Somewhat related question: Can an 01 FFL - who can buy (not sell) anywhere in the country - travel into MA and purchase a firearm on his license, for his inventory, and then directly return with it to his home state and licensed premises? Does Federal law trump MA law?

Last edited:
Somewhat related question: Can an 01 FFL - who can buy (not sell) anywhere in the country - travel into MA and purchase a firearm on his license, for his inventory, and then directly return with it to his home state and licensed premises? Does Federal law trump MA law?
The FFL does not exempt you from state storage or transportation laws. Jack.

no

So you would also need a non-resident LTC-A?

Worse, MGL still bars them from buying (simons rock) although I can see where some dealers would just rugsweep on this... (because they could pretend they shipped the gun out instead).

-Mike

And rumor is, the first-world <bleep>hole of Massachusetts
regards the Shockwave as a handgun, so 140:131G (at least)
doesn't enable their transitory possession in-state by non-residents.

"Firearm", a pistol, revolver, or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and not of wehich the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in a case of a shotgun as origionally manufactured...

This excerpt from MGL 140ss121 indicates that any shotgun originally manufactured with a barrel length of less than 18 inches and any other weapon with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (regardless of whether the weapon has a rifle stock or is sold as a "short barreled rifle" is a firearm for the purpose of MA law. Significance of this distinction is that such firearms, like the shockwave, are only available for sale if they are listed on the approved weapons roster.

-DCJIS

Yeah, but the EOPS "we dont like the shockwave" memo vomit largely doesn't matter here, as its still not "possession illegal" by itself. It's just a pile of trash reminding the dealers that "we more or less consider this a handgun WRT compliance for dealer sales". Of course none of that matters if you're just displaying it for the sake of people who aren't even buying it at that location.

ETA: I see AHM referenced the "exceptions" thing but that stuff is pretty much rendered meaningless by the guida interpretation, but god only knows what that really means at this point. Regardless a foreign dealer would need a lot of paper or a mirror presence to legally show up here with guns.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom