Out of state gun purchasing for MA resident

As a MA resident with a class A large capacity (unrestricted) LTC, can I buy a high capacity rifle or pistol in VT or NH?

I'm pretty familiar with what you can 'possess' but not so much about what and where you can buy. Ah Massachusetts.

I would like to try to buy a high capacity rifle (not assault) at a gun shop in VT or NH and have it sent to a MA FFL. I would also like to buy a the 17 round mag that is available for my Ruger SR9. In other states, it comes with a 10 round and a 17 round mag but here in MA it instead came with 2 ten round mags. Can I buy that mag in VT or NH and walk away with it?

I didn't see this topic in any other thread, but if its already been answered, sorry for re-asking.
Thanks for your guidance.

Long guns have to be legal for you to possess in your home state, so you can't avoid the AWB that way. But assuming the gun meets that standard, you should be able to buy it out of state -- just remember, you have to register it within 7 days of bringing it back to MA. Handguns can only be transferred to you in your home state (barring some exceptions that I can never remember) so you can't get around the MA "list" that way. So if you find a good deal on a handgun out of state, make sure that a MA FFL can transfer it to you (complies with the EOPS list and AG regs), otherwise you've bought a paperweight that the MA FFL will have to sell out of state and you are guaranteed to lose $$ on. Also, you can't buy a handgun from a private party while out of state. That's fed law as I understand it.

You can possess a post-94 high cap in another state if it doesn't break laws there, but you can't possess them in MA. Buying it in another state... who cares? IMO, don't waste your cash unless you're leaving it up there.

Also note: legal advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it. [wink]

The FFL can only sell you items he knows are legal in MA,

As for pistol magazines they have to be manufactured "pre ban" for them to be legal in MA, I would not want to be the test case for having been found with magazines you could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt were made before the magic date in the last decade of last century.

It's been covered LOTS of times, but here's the answers to your questions:

You CAN buy long guns from an FFL outside of your state of residence IF you are permitted to possess them in your home state. That means that you can purchase any long guns that meet MA's Assault Weapons Ban guidelines (only 2 evil features).

You CAN NOT buy any handguns out of state UNLESS they are transferred to you through an FFL in your HOME state. That means that you must contact your favorite FFL and check that they [will transfer a] particular handgun to you before you agree to the purchase.

You may NOT POSSESS in MA any large capacity feeding device that was manufactured after the AWB was enacted in '94. If the "normal capacity" magazine will NEVER come in to MA (as long as the current law is in effect), you can buy it out of state and keep it out of state.

ETA: OK, I type too slowly... [grin] and to correct a statement...

Last edited:
The FFL can only sell you items he knows are legal in MA,

Even though this is the case it is still contingent on the buyer to deal with/know the BS laws in MA. The remotes often don't know the MA laws or care to know them.

-Mike

Thanks for the clarification folks and sorry for re-posting. It looks like I'm SOL to get what I want and not get arrested. No high capacity mags, rifle or pistol, made after the ban, no matter where I buy. Leave it up to MA to make such a simple issue so convoluted.

Such is life in MA.

If you really want a normal capacity mag for your SR9, there is nothing wrong with buying it in another state but, as others have said, legally you need to have some place to keep it out of state. Nobody will stop you from taking it back to MA and you'd probably get away with it but it all comes at the risk of a felony. Not worth it considering all the ways you could possibly be caught ie fire in house and cops find.

Bingo. Risk vs reward. If a couple of extra rounds in the mag are worth a potential felony rap and loss of rights, that's your call to make. You've got more to lose than a professional criminal.

Of course, the whole thing is BS and deserves a swift kick to the nuts, but we live in the world we have.

Bingo. Risk vs reward. If a couple of extra rounds in the mag are worth a potential felony rap and loss of rights, that's your call to make. You've got more to lose than a professional criminal.

Of course, the whole thing is BS and deserves a swift kick to the nuts, but we live in the world we have.

True dat.

A second 10-round magazine is a better way to get to "high cap" numbers, and it's far cheaper than even 15 minutes of the cheapest lawyer's time.

As a MA resident with a class A large capacity (unrestricted) LTC, can I buy a high capacity rifle or pistol in VT or NH?

I'm pretty familiar with what you can 'possess' but not so much about what and where you can buy. Ah Massachusetts.

I would like to try to buy a high capacity rifle (not assault) at a gun shop in VT or NH and have it sent to a MA FFL. I would
also like to buy a the 17 round mag that is available for my Ruger SR9. In other states, it comes with a 10 round and a 17 round mag but here in MA it instead came with 2 ten round mags. Can I buy that mag in VT or NH and walk away with it?

I didn't see this topic in any other thread, but if its already been answered, sorry for re-asking.
Thanks for your guidance.
All you are allowed to have in MA are 10 round magazines. You get caught with anything larger, very good chance you’ll lose your license.

Back
Top Bottom