Out of state LTC holder question

Hey guys,

Within the last year I have received my Out of state ltc from CT. I am a Mass resident with a class A ltc as well.

My question is, my brother wants to sell me a few of his firearms from CT; a bolt action and a pump shotgun- what is needed for me to buy and take possession of these guns? I know I have to register them in MA within 10 days, but if I have my CT Out Of State LTC , can I do a private transfer? Or do we have to go through a FFL?

Thanks in advance guys!

Under federal law you have to be residents of the same state for him to sell long guns to you. You will need to go to a CT FFL to be compliant with federal law.

Resident of same state for private sales not involving FFLs. Long guns can be transferred through any state's FFL for sales between out of state residents. Handguns must be sold/transferred through your home state FFL and cannot take place out of state.

Hey guys,

Within the last year I have received my Out of state ltc from CT. I am a Mass resident with a class A ltc as well.

My question is, my brother wants to sell me a few of his firearms from CT; a bolt action and a pump shotgun- what is needed for me to buy and take possession of these guns? I know I have to register them in MA within 10 days, but if I have my CT Out Of State LTC , can I do a private transfer? Or do we have to go through a FFL?

Thanks in advance guys!

Not to be a stickler, but you have 7 days, not 10, to register them in MA.

As others have said, in order for your brother to sell you the long guns you must go to an FFL. Since they're long guns the transfer can take place in either state (assuming CT doesn't have some state-specific law that prohibits FFLs transferring to non-CT residents).

If you do the transfer in CT you'll need to do the eFA10 within 7 days of bringing them to MA. If you do the transfer in MA the dealer will record the transfer in MIRCS so you won't have to register them.

Thanks for the responses; I guess having the ltc just kills the wait period. And as for the eFA10, I don't know why I said said 10 days; I appreciate the clarification guys!

You could actually do the transfer in either state.

It just has to happen at a FFL.

I believe that MA has a carve out for possession if it is transported as merchandise. Or something similar. I'll try to find it.

But even if it doesn't, if you met him at the border and went to a MA FFL everyone would be legal.

It sounds like more of a hassle than going to a CT FFL, but its just another option that may or may not be easier for you.

Don

p.s. Just thought of it, He could also ship it to a MA FFL via USPS.

The merchandise part doesn't work, it only applies to common carriers.

However, there is a clause that does seem to work.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:
(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

Here is the full statute.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

So it looks like your brother could bring them to a MA FFL. Or you could meet him at a CT FFL.

One still open item is whether CT will allow a FFL to transfer you the gun with a non-res PP. I know its legal per the feds, but not sure what effects PA13-3 has had on this.

Have any MA folks bought longarms at CT dealers in the last 4 years??

Thanks for the responses; I guess having the ltc just kills the wait period. And as for the eFA10, I don't know why I said said 10 days; I appreciate the clarification guys!

Connecticut hasn't had a 14 day waiting period option for long guns in several years. As a non-resident, you can use you permit to buy ammunition, legal magazines (i.e. less than 10 round capacity, generally) , ammunition, and to carry handguns. Per federal law, if you buy a long gun while in Connecticut it needs to be from an FFL dealer.

Just remember that an FFL is not required to facilitate the transfer. They have the option to if it's legal. Don't get butthurt if they say no because you're from out of state.

Connecticut hasn't had a 14 day waiting period option for long guns in several years. As a non-resident, you can use you permit to buy ammunition, legal magazines (i.e. less than 10 round capacity, generally) , ammunition, and to carry handguns. Per federal law, if you buy a long gun while in Connecticut it needs to be from an FFL dealer.

The 14 day waiting period went away after PA13-3 went into effect.

CT went from allowing licenseless purchase of long guns with a 14 day wait to requiring a long gun certificate or PP to purchase a long gun. I believe it went into effect in Sept or Oct 2013.

One thing that did not change in CT with respect to long guns is that NO LICENSE OF ANY KIND is required in CT to keep, carry, transport or use any long gun. Including machine guns or AWs. Provided the AWs are registered. This goes for CT residents as well as residents of other states.

The 14 day waiting period went away after PA13-3 went into effect.

CT went from allowing licenseless purchase of long guns with a 14 day wait to requiring a long gun certificate or PP to purchase a long gun. I believe it went into effect in Sept or Oct 2013.

One thing that did not change in CT with respect to long guns is that NO LICENSE OF ANY KIND is required in CT to keep, carry, transport or use any long gun. Including machine guns or AWs. Provided the AWs are registered. This goes for CT residents as well as residents of other states.

If the item is a curio and relic elegible long gun, what's required for an out of state 03 ffl holder to purchase from a CT resident (non 03 ffl)? Any CT purchase permit required by the 03 ffl?

What's acceptable to transfer the longgun:
1) ship to 03 ffl
2) 03 holder pick up in CT

Also, what CT paper work is required by the CT resident to sell and complete the transfer?

Back
Top Bottom