• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of stater in Maine

Headed to maine for a week's vacation. We plan on doing some fishing and hiking while we're up there. Would like to bring and carry my normal CCW. I look around and read alot from 2015 not much new stuff. I'm under the impression that they have constitutional carry and I should be good to go other than national parks. But I also read that I have to open carry instead of concealed. Anyone have any information to help me out.

Check for reciprocity with your home state license (don't see a location for you, or mention of where you live now). I do recall (last time I looked) that with my NH P&R I can carry virtually everywhere (sans police station/courthouse IIRC). I don't think there's reciprocity with MA papers though.

BTW, with this being Maine, open carry is very likely to be a non-issue. Just like most of NH (except where the libtards seem to go to shop).

I don't believe open carry is required, but.

ONLY if you do not have a ME CCW:

1. Must notify police officer at any interaction
2. Cannot carry in Arcadia National Park

Check for reciprocity with your home state license (don't see a location for you, or mention of where you live now). I do recall (last time I looked) that with my NH P&R I can carry virtually everywhere (sans police station/courthouse IIRC). I don't think there's reciprocity with MA papers though.

BTW, with this being Maine, open carry is very likely to be a non-issue. Just like most of NH (except where the libtards seem to go to shop).

I'm in Massachusetts now. I don't mind the open carry I'm not sure the family we are vacationing with is super into that though. So I'd just rather not

It's my understanding with some reading that any form of carry is legal. And the resident/none resident is a none issue. But it's not very clear about the none resident

IIRC (didn't check today), the NH P&R is honored by Maine which means I don't need to get a Maine CCW to CC there (recall not being able to carry in Arcadia). I would check the info before going into Maine next time to be sure nothing has changed.

For the OP... If the family have issue with your open carrying, they need to get over it. [rofl2] Life's too short to let that effect you. ;)

Why no Arcadia National Park?
"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

Why no Arcadia National Park?
"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf
Read the fed law carefully. It says National Parks ok IFF state law allows it. Maine restricts it to licensed people only.

Unfortunately the verdict seems to be out on this still. Lots of online press says residents only, a few say if you read the law it includes non-residents.

I would say if you plan to come up here a lot, get a non-resident permit and call it a day. Safest bet. (I know it doesn't help you for this particular trip).

Its a fairly "painless" process and you can do it by mail. You should have your NRA firearms safety course certificate still if you have a Mass permit, so you can use that when applying for the Maine non-resident permit.

It takes about 40-60 days to get it in the mail.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/sites...Non-Resident Complete Application Package.pdf

Unfortunately the verdict seems to be out on this still.

The law is pretty clear, per the state police link posted above earlier:

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

The law is pretty clear, per the state police link posted above earlier:

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

My bad, didn't see that for some reason. Regardless, still recommend getting an out of state permit for the reasons stated in the same link. Plus, if this is ever repealed, the rush to get licenses will make Mass look fast, which I why maintain a resident permit.

Unfortunately the verdict seems to be out on this still. Lots of online press says residents only, a few say if you read the law it includes non-residents.

I would say if you plan to come up here a lot, get a non-resident permit and call it a day. Safest bet. (I know it doesn't help you for this particular trip).

Its a fairly "painless" process and you can do it by mail. You should have your NRA firearms safety course certificate still if you have a Mass permit, so you can use that when applying for the Maine non-resident permit.

It takes about 40-60 days to get it in the mail.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/sites/maine.gov.dps.msp/files/inline-files/Non-Resident Complete Application Package.pdf

My initial took 14 days. My renewal (received last week) took exactly 10 days.

My initial took 14 days. My renewal (received last week) took exactly 10 days.

Sweet. My last renewal for an out of state (before I moved to Maine) was just about 60 days. I think that was back in 2015. Glad to see things speeding up.

In state when I moved here was about 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom