• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outdoor Security Camera System

i'm looking to install a security camera system outside of my home...i have been looking mainly at arlo and blink but i don't know that either of them will work for my application...i live on a main road and don't want notification and clips of every car that passes all day and these systems don't seem to have detection zones unless they are hardwired...well actually blink seems to have "sensitivity" settings which is useless for me and arlo seems to have detection zones but only when hardwired...ideally i'd like to have a porch camera, a driveway camera and a backyard camera or 2 (my driveway wraps around the side of my house and i have a shed)...also are these things true motion or are they infrared motion?...basically if you put one inside your home and it's infrared motion it's not going to pick up someone on your front porch through the window but it will if it's true motion...if it's outside infrared would be better i assume cause it may not pick up the cars so much?...i'm just getting into this so i don't know too much about them just yet...the main things i'm looking for are...

-long battery life
-detection zones
-free cloud storage
-undecided right now on true motion vs infrared motion

at the moment i'm sometimes running a free app called Manything with an old iphone 4 on a small bendable tripod pointed outside acting as the camera...it's true motion not infrared motion so it works surprisingly well through the window, has detection zones, records the clips, alerts you, view the clips through the app...the problem is the iphone has to be plugged in all the time and the phone old so i'm worried about the battery blowing up...also i think they may have made it so you have to pay...i haven't used it in a while or updated the app so it may not be free anymore...i'll have to try it and see but i'm looking for something a little better

Don't be afraid of a hard wired system. Hard wired cameras don't rely on batteries and many have PTZ along with optical zoom and scalable motion zones. Plus, you're not transmitting your security feed wirelessly. Also, most cameras are easily upgraded...just plug & play.
My Annke system came with 4 cameras and will take up to 12. It was easy to install and cost a fraction of most wireless systems.

i like Blink, i have five cameras, and you can set them to ARM-DISARM automatically on a schedule. I arm mine manually if i go out, but they also arm themselves between hours when there isn't a lot of street traffic.....

I can only offer guidance on Arlo, having used it for 2 years now. The battery life is okay. They offer different energy saving modes. However, they use the C123s and it can be expensive if you don't go the rechargeable route. The image quality is fair. If you need to zoom-in on something, the quality drops quickly. There is a sensitivity setting which should eliminate the false triggers. They have geofencing. Also, they have a new 'recognition' feature, but I have no experience with this.

If you are looking for something just to see 'what is going on', they are okay. If you are seeking to use the images as evidence in court, not so much; You may be better off with wires.
One thing to note, for some inexplicable reason, Arlo still requires Flash to view the video from a laptop.

Pros: easy set up, flexible settings, free short term storage, package price
Cons: Flash, image quality when zooming, limit to 4 cameras on one home base

This is just my experience. My application is to monitor a remote property to see what is going on.

The blink outdoor units do have a detection zone that can be created to prevent the camera from triggering on areas you don't want. It is in the camera settings in the app.

Thanks for the info. They didnt have that feature when i got my cameras and the app. I see its a BETA so they are probobly still working bugs out, but its still a goo feature to have...... thnx

Don't be afraid of a hard wired system. Hard wired cameras don't rely on batteries and many have PTZ along with optical zoom and scalable motion zones. Plus, you're not transmitting your security feed wirelessly. Also, most cameras are easily upgraded...just plug & play.
My Annke system came with 4 cameras and will take up to 12. It was easy to install and cost a fraction of most wireless systems.

Thanks...I would but I don’t want to nor do I have time to tear up the house running wires to power a system so I plan to go wireless...if I can’t get something with detection zones I’ll more than likely have to go wired

Thanks fellas!

The blink outdoor units do have a detection zone that can be created to prevent the camera from triggering on areas you don't want. It is in the camera settings in the app.

Thanks...this is good news...how is the battery life on this system?...does it pick up passing cars?

Activity Zones (Beta) Not Working

How to Configure Activity Zones

After reading it sounds like if there is thermal activity in the non-activity zone it still detects it and wakes up the camera which seems like a waste for the battery life especially in my application

Last edited:
I got the Blink 3-camera set up from the wife when it was on sale. Haven't had a chance to set them up yet

I have the blink three camera system. Set it up this morning. So far so good. Just played with the activity zone to reduce wind driven activation. I’ll see how it goes but overall I’m happy. Picture resolution and audio quality are both good. I’ll orobsbly add two more cameras in the next month or two.

I can only offer guidance on Arlo, having used it for 2 years now. The battery life is okay. They offer different energy saving modes. However, they use the C123s and it can be expensive if you don't go the rechargeable route. The image quality is fair. If you need to zoom-in on something, the quality drops quickly. There is a sensitivity setting which should eliminate the false triggers. They have geofencing. Also, they have a new 'recognition' feature, but I have no experience with this.

If you are looking for something just to see 'what is going on', they are okay. If you are seeking to use the images as evidence in court, not so much; You may be better off with wires.
One thing to note, for some inexplicable reason, Arlo still requires Flash to view the video from a laptop.

Pros: easy set up, flexible settings, free short term storage, package price
Cons: Flash, image quality when zooming, limit to 4 cameras on one home base

This is just my experience. My application is to monitor a remote property to see what is going on.

Thanks...great review...arlo seems to be out at the moment due to lack of detection zones but I really like that they are made by Netgear which seems like their server system would be pretty secure

I have the blink three camera system. Set it up this morning. So far so good. Just played with the activity zone to reduce wind driven activation. I’ll see how it goes but overall I’m happy. Picture resolution and audio quality are both good. I’ll orobsbly add two more cameras in the next month or two.

Thanks...let me know how you like the acitivity zone feature and how well it works in beta...did all of the cameras have that feature on them?...read on amazon reviews that some systems that people bought only had half of the cameras they bought with the activity zone feature available inside the app

Thanks...let me know how you like the acitivity zone feature and how well it works in beta...did all of the cameras have that feature on them?...read on amazon reviews that some systems that people bought only had half of the cameras they bought with the activity zone feature available inside the app

Roger. Will do. Yes, all the cameras (3) had the beta feature on them via the app. Heading out in the morning I shook the bushes I know were causing the activity alerts and nothing went off so, so far, so good.

Like you, I really wanted something truly wireless and this is really the top contender out there. It's WiFi, so dependent on a quality signal but each camera shows good reception; even the one in the opposite corner as the router and my router is an older generation (~3 years old). And if the batteries only lasted one year because I have the system set up to detect more motion than average, that's fine with me. I'm not hanging off a scaffold and it's easy enough to change them out.

Roger. Will do. Yes, all the cameras (3) had the beta feature on them via the app. Heading out in the morning I shook the bushes I know were causing the activity alerts and nothing went off so, so far, so good.

Like you, I really wanted something truly wireless and this is really the top contender out there. It's WiFi, so dependent on a quality signal but each camera shows good reception; even the one in the opposite corner as the router and my router is an older generation (~3 years old). And if the batteries only lasted one year because I have the system set up to detect more motion than average, that's fine with me. I'm not hanging off a scaffold and it's easy enough to change them out.

The batteries aren’t replaceable? Is there any plan to introduce replaceable batteries that you’ve heard of?

Thanks...this will probably make me pull the trigger on a blink system...I’m thinking 3-4 cameras

Thanks...this will probably make me pull the trigger on a blink system...I’m thinking 3-4 cameras
Bend over, because the prices have jumped back up! A 5 camera system has gone from $299 to $499. The 3 camera system has jumped by a hundred bucks.

Bend over, because the prices have jumped back up! A 5 camera system has gone from $299 to $499. The 3 camera system has jumped by a hundred bucks.

Wow....bought the 3 cam system just before xmas for a gift. It was $179 and came with a free alexa....its $319 right now. I never get good deals, I guess this was one.

It’s no rush especially since activity zones are in beta...once everything is ironed out maybe I’ll wait till a tax free day or a sale....orrr maybe I’ll just impulse buy them tomorrow...but for a true wireless system including activity zones and good battery life blink seems like a better option than arlo

Last edited:
With all of these wireless systems, how easy would it be for a would-be intruder to jam or disrupt the systems so they can get in with less chance of being detected?

With all of these wireless systems, how easy would it be for a would-be intruder to jam or disrupt the systems so they can get in with less chance of being detected?
I’m guessing harder than walking to a different house/property without any deterrents.
The goal isn't to make your home impossible, just difficult enough that your neighbor is a more attractive target.

Commercial alarm systems can often detect jamming. They always use "supervised" sensors for both wired and wireless, register when a sensor fails to "check in" on time and treat that as a fault.

Higher-end monitored systems also support "blind SMS", allowing the alarm to get an alert out even when local cellular communications are jammed and they can't actually do a full conversation with a cell tower.

Wireless cameras generally don't detect jamming or short-lived video outage, if only because WiFi is unreliable enough that the false-positives would be unacceptably common. I'd be interested to know if the battery-powered cameras will ever proactively report if a camera stops reporting.

If I bag one of your cameras out of a tree (with a copper-lined pouch so it can't phone home), you might never notice until you go to try to view the live feed?

I have the Arlo Pro2 system. 3 wireless on batteries and 1 in garage wireless but plugged in. The Pro2 series comes with Li-ion batteries. Each battery last approximately 2-4 months depending on usage. They are rechargeable.
1 camera on my front farmers porch- wide angle and motion activated. Night IR works perfect in this small area.
2 cameras in the yard. Night IR works ok. IR is only powerful enough to light up close areas.
Only thing i don't like about the Arlo system is they nickle and dime you to death on the accessories. External charger, spare battery, Camo cover, etc...

Favorite thing for me was i solved the issue with someone was putting dog poop in a plastic bag and putting it in my mailbox. My neighbor too! Just bunch a lazy people walking their dogs and didn't want to carry a bag of poop with them. I mounted a camera on a tree a good 50 feet from my house bout 8-9 feet up that covered my mailbox. It is covered with realtree camo cover and looks like part of the tree. Solved that issue quick.

Back
Top Bottom