OWB Holster and Mag Pouch for IDPA/USPSA?

For a holster check out something made of kydex, popular holsters and pouches come from
Comptac
Bladetech
Ready Tactical
Safariland
CR speed
Double Alpha

What division do you plan on shooting? USPSA Single Stack can use an Uncle Mike's kydex holster, but the same holster is not legal in IDPA.
Blade Tech holsters work very well, not only for the "pistol" games, but 3gun as well.

Any recommendations on an OWB holster and mag pouch that would work well?

I shoot IDPA and the while the holster and mag pouches have specific requirements they are holsters that are readily available. Many of the popular brands have already been listed. With out ever having shot a single USPSA event I feel confident saying the hot kit in USPSA will be a no go in IDPA, but a legal IDPA kit will be legal in USPSA, just not the preferred setup.

IDPA holster rules on page 40.

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

Thanks JRT, that was actually my next question. Would be preferable one setup that would be legal for both.

Another solution would be to get the cool kid approved USPSA hi speed Iow drag race gun holster, and don't play that other game(IDPA)

For local club matches or if you know you are not in the running for any prizes I suggest using your edc gear once in a while. It's great practice and there is a difference drawing from a owb paddle or iwb if that is what you use, same goes for location of the holster.

I only have experience with the Comptac and like it. Sometimes wish the backing material came up a little higher since when wearing it with a shirt untucked the texture on the grip with scratch my side. The j-clips are easier to get the holster on and off but if you don't have a very thick belt then go with the c-clips. By thickness I am referring to the depth, you know the part that is around 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Anyone care to comment on Blade vs Comp?

Its personal preference, without trying both just flip a coin. I never had a problem with my comp tac gear. They changed how they make their holsters, the new molding process makes for a thinner overall holster- better for an iwb, but makes no difference for an owb. I have three of their old styles, and two of the new

Thanks for all the recommendations. Anyone care to comment on Blade vs Comp?

I won a straight-drop Blade-tech injection molded holster in a raffle last year. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which model it is. But I find it to be faster than my Comp-tac holster. The Blade-tech sits a bit lower than the Comp-tac.

For mag holders I use ReadyTactical.

What division do you plan on shooting? USPSA Single Stack can use an Uncle Mike's kydex holster, but the same holster is not legal in IDPA.
Blade Tech holsters work very well, not only for the "pistol" games, but 3gun as well.

I think IDPA may have dropped the ban on "Uncle Mike's" holsters. I was told that now they go by the fit on the shooter, i.e. distance of the pistol from the body. I hope this is true as "Uncle Mike's" holsters are the best deal for the $ I have been able to find.

I think IDPA may have dropped the ban on "Uncle Mike's" holsters. I was told that now they go by the fit on the shooter, i.e. distance of the pistol from the body. I hope this is true as "Uncle Mike's" holsters are the best deal for the $ I have been able to find.

There was never any ban on Uncle Mike's holsters. Originally there was an approved holster list. That went away years ago. Now there are guidelines in the rules for what is legal. If you want to know what is legal and what isn't, go to idpa.com, download the rulebook and read it.

Basically any of the straight drop kydex gear will work. There are differences in ride height and distance from the belt allowed between the two games. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any IDPA legal gear that wouldn't be legal in USPSA Production/Single Stack. The gains you can get going to USPSA only are a double belt, drop and offset holster (in production, no drop in SS), and moving your mag pouches forward a bit. They're seemingly useful enough that when I stopped shooting much IDPA I went to a USPSA only rig, but I'm not sure how much of the benefit is purely psychological. A double belt setup is much more convenient to put on and take off, but doesn't really affect performance. The DOH makes drawing a bit easier, but it's not a big deal.

ETA: If you have gear that's workable, come to a few practices/ club matches before spending more money. Most competitors are happy to show you their gear and talk about why they picked it and often even lend it to you to try.

Last edited:
Basically any of the straight drop kydex gear will work. There are differences in ride height and distance from the belt allowed between the two games. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any IDPA legal gear that wouldn't be legal in USPSA Production/Single Stack. The gains you can get going to USPSA only are a double belt, drop and offset holster (in production, no drop in SS), and moving your mag pouches forward a bit. They're seemingly useful enough that when I stopped shooting much IDPA I went to a USPSA only rig, but I'm not sure how much of the benefit is purely psychological. A double belt setup is much more convenient to put on and take off, but doesn't really affect performance. The DOH makes drawing a bit easier, but it's not a big deal.

IDPA now allows your mags to be as far forward as your hip bone (and thus slightly in front of the centerline). So I think that is now the same as USPSA Production.

IDPA now allows your mags to be as far forward as your hip bone (and thus slightly in front of the centerline). So I think that is now the same as USPSA Production.

Thanks for the correction re IDPA. I haven't paid attention since my initial disappointment with the new rulebook. You're correct that the USPSA rule is the hip bone. Nice to see one more thing the same between the two (as long as it's IDPA moving toward USPSA [wink]).

Thanks for the correction re IDPA. I haven't paid attention since my initial disappointment with the new rulebook. You're correct that the USPSA rule is the hip bone. Nice to see one more thing the same between the two (as long as it's IDPA moving toward USPSA [wink]).

You didn't hear about the new USPSA fishing vest rule? [wink]

Good info. Am leaning towards the comp-tac international and either getting their double mag pouch (in the package) or just getting single mag holders (more costly).

Does anyone know if the Hank's amish 1.5" belts are stiff enough for competition gear like this?

Good info. Am leaning towards the comp-tac international and either getting their double mag pouch (in the package) or just getting single mag holders (more costly).

Does anyone know if the Hank's amish 1.5" belts are stiff enough for competition gear like this?
I'm no competitor, just friendly club level events recently but have the Amish belt use it daily for two mags and a SIG 220 or g23 and its good to go.

Back
Top Bottom