• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Owning 2 exact same guns, one for carry, one for practice??

This. I know in the competition world, guys have backup guns because they shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year and you don't want something to break during a match etc.
I shoot a lot of matches but I'm probably only shooting around 6k rounds per year in my CZ pistols. Nothing has broke yet though I suspect the slide stop or trigger return spring will break at some point in the near future.

Average gun owners aren't shooting thousands of rounds per year in their pistols.
Even then. Competition guns just get beat up, that's why you might want more than one, not so much the number of rounds.

For example, I beat the sh*t out of the 929 every time I open the cylinder and close it as fast as possible while shooting. Eventually something will get messed up.

So, if anything breaks, it will be due to competition abuse.

That being said ... I do keep spare parts. For the CCW, I keep a spring kit, firing pin, and if it is cheap, keep a spare trigger (for all the smaller parts that could break - or I order a bunch of additional small parts from brownells). That's it. So let's call it around $50-100 in spares.

Everything else won't break and guns don't have that many parts. The frame, slide and barrel will be fine and all the springs are covered in the spare kit.

So I'm at the range the other day, pause to reload.. Only other person there pauses for reload also, we share a 'Hello' and small talk and we both notice we are shooting a Sig P365...I also notice he has his carry pistol in his waistband. Looks like a P365 also, but I figure it's the XL model, so I ask.
He tells me "Nope, same gun.. It's my carry gun but I own a duplicate that I shoot the piss out of at the range, then carry this one (pointing to his waistband P365) which I keep clean, pristine condition.." (etc)
So it made me wonder, does anyone here own 2 identical guns, one for carry, the other for range practice??

Your thoughts on this?
Yes, been working on my final setup for a while but I now own two Identical gen 5 G19's and a standard and MOS slide for each one, so two frames, four slides.

Iron sight slides both have same XS DXT2's on them, and MOS slides have suppressor height small dot dxt2's, ch precision mounting plates, and holosun dots on em. I practice and train with one gun in either configuration, and carry the other. Both guns are all stock internals, stock trigger, etc.

I shoot regularly my carry ammo out of the carry/go time pistol to cycle the ammo out of it and clean it regularly and it keeps a lower round count which I track. The training one I track the round count so I know when to replace recoil springs and stuff and I clean it every 750-1000rds or so and lube it before each shooting session. Carry gun is at about 600rds and training gun is at about 6k rds now, I replaced the recoil spring assembly at 5k.

I have 4 IWB, and 4 OWB g19 holsters I use, all same maker, same styles, one for just Iron sights, one cut for Irons and TLR7, and then one cut for red dot and tlr7, and one cut for red dot and no light. The owb's are same thing.

I do this because I really just feel better about carrying a gun that doesn't have 10k+ rds through it with worn springs, dirty internals, etc. Also, after a class or something, it's just easier to chuck the dirty gun in the safe for the night and put on the clean one. I always bring both guns and all 4 slides to a class too, that way if I have a problem I can just grab the other one and go, don't have to fiddle f*** around, and if I want to shoot a drill with a different config I can quickly switch out slides and holsters. This also simplifies things for peripherals and mags too, I have a boat load of g19 mags and the only spare parts I need to carry are for gen5 g19's.

Yes I do still have other guns that I use and carry on occasion, but I'm not setup to be so redundant with them, they are more for collection purposes or enjoyment, while the two g19's are my "go time" or daily drivers. Also, this year I've been doing the "1 gun for the year" challenge and only really shooting one type of pistol to try to get myself really dialed in.

Last edited:
I don’t want to carry a dirty gun.
All my carry guns are carried "dirty". After I disassemble/clean, I function fire and then wipe down only. Then into holster.
Remember: "dirty" does not equal "filthy"...

Enbloc be Ridin' Dirty.

Last edited:
All my carry guns are carried "dirty". After I disassemble/clean, I function fire and then wipe down only. Then into holster.
Remember: "dirty" does not equal "filthy"...

Enbloc be Ridin' Dirty.

I consider anything that goes down the inside front of my pants to be dirty dirty dirtyyyy.

The gun I carry is a S&W Shield in .45. I own 2 so I can alternate and not beat the snot out of 1. I had 1 and shot it so much I broke the slide. S&W replaced the slide for free and I bought a second one. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I think if you're going to put thousands of rounds a year through your carry gun, you should probably have 2.

This is common in competitive shooting. You put tens of thousands of rounds of practice on the 'practice gun' and shoot the 'match gun' in matches.

I have multiples 2011s for Limited division, as well as Open division. I don't really consider any of them practice guns or match guns, but I do alternate shooting them to even out the use / wear

I can understand the concept. If you're going to carry a firearm for emergencies then you should be proficient with it and practice makes perfect but in this case it also wears out barrels. You just want to make sure that you periodically swap them around so you know for sure that they are in operating order. If you need to use it in a self defense situation it would suck to find that you left a worn but operating firearm in the range bag in favor of a carry piece that had developed an unnoticed malfunction which will prevent it from working when it counts.

Why does this sound to me like a Massad Ayoob thread?

It's sort of like when you bring a new person to the range and they rack the slide for the first time. They do it SO gentle. Every single one of them.

"Let me ask you. You racked that slide pretty gently." "Yeah." "How hard to you think it's coming back when it fires????" "Ohhhh." "Yeah, don't worry about breaking it. Don't drop it. But you will have to work hard to break it by racking the slide."
Meanwhile, in Berettaville...

I have duplicate carry guns for another reason entirely... Seizure for testing after lawful shooting.
Epic way to mess with the guys down at Forensics...
  • Three holes in the decedent.
  • Three empty cases found in the gutter.
  • Cases don't match suspect's piece.
... noted gunblogger Kim du Toit's anecdote about violence in South Africa:

An American executive took a job over there, and on his very first day,
the newspaper headlines read: "Three Headless Bodies Found".
The next day: "Three Heads Found".
The third day: "Heads Don’t Match Bodies".
You can’t make this stuff up.
I carry two identical guns and have two other identical ones for the range.
Other people prefer a little variety in their life.
dmE8w-1615816181-3451-blog-yosemitesam.jpg

Last edited:
So it made me wonder, does anyone here own 2 identical guns, one for carry, the other for range practice??

Your thoughts on this?
I have two identical guns and they are close in serial number range.
One as the primary and one as the back up.
The primary gets shot in practice also.
The two pistols switch roles every year so that the round count remains about the same between the two.

Stupid….I definitely own identical things.

It’s a flawed concept….People get all caught up in all kinds of ridiculous thinking

If you can pull it out and it goes bang once that’s probably as far as you’re ever going to get with it

As an afterthought, I lost count but I must be approaching 150,000 rounds through my Sig P226 9mm….There’s no way you could’ve abuse a gun more…
Every experimental round, firing underwater, forgot the brass punch so I Clear it with whatever’s handy…

Other than frog lube, the lube of choice is the closest dip stick in whatever vehicle I’m driving…

If I aim with my shoulders. Using either hand. You wouldn’t want to be within 100 feet of me.

I enjoy cleaning my guns after a range trip, and I don't understand people who don't...

Shoot your carry piece. Then clean it, PMCS it, load it, and carry it.

As for identicals, the only ones I own are my Webley Mk I-V, and those only LOOK identical. I have two Hi-Powers too, but those aren't really identical either.
How often do you shoot it?

I have duplicates and don't shoot any of them o_O

I only shoot the singles, and not much because I keep hitting what I aim at [rofl]

Last edited:
About once a month.
If I only shot a gun once a month I would probably clean it each time. I shoot many of mine 2 to 3 times a week (including my carry gun) so cleaning after each trip is basically pointless plus if I felt I HAD to clean it each time I would not shoot 2 to 3 times a week lol

You said you don't understand how people don't clean them each trip......there are people that shoot way more often than you that completely understand not cleaning a gun after each use.

About once a month.

If I only shot a gun once a month I would probably clean it each time. I shoot many of mine 2 to 3 times a week (including my carry gun) so cleaning after each trip is basically pointless plus if I felt I HAD to clean it each time I would not shoot 2 to 3 times a week lol

You said you don't understand how people don't clean them each trip......there are people that shoot way more often than you that completely understand not cleaning a gun after each use.

This. I found I'd skip the quick range trip on the way home w/ the carry gun because I wasn't going to have time to clean it before carrying again (if I leave the house, I'm carrying). Also guessing that Pic being a teacher means he probably doesn't carry every day.

So I'm at the range the other day, pause to reload.. Only other person there pauses for reload also, we share a 'Hello' and small talk and we both notice we are shooting a Sig P365...I also notice he has his carry pistol in his waistband. Looks like a P365 also, but I figure it's the XL model, so I ask.
He tells me "Nope, same gun.. It's my carry gun but I own a duplicate that I shoot the piss out of at the range, then carry this one (pointing to his waistband P365) which I keep clean, pristine condition.." (etc)

Your thoughts on this?
I tried that and eneded up with a dual under arm crossdraw holster!

I think, with me, that it's more of a mindset I developed in the Army, where if you're an infantryman you're cleaning your weapon literally any time you can. So once I got out and stopped having to worry about scrubbing out star chambers in the woods a few times a day, the act of sitting on a couch and taking down a pistol seemed pretty relaxing.

I think it's all about perspective. To a man who shoots 2/3 times a week, I don't shoot that often. Compared to a guy who gets out to the range once a year, though, I'm a "frequent shooter." But I'd never leave a firearm uncleaned after a range trip, even if it's just getting the schmutz out of the barrel and off the boltface.

I have multiple duplicates and I try to shoot everything at least sometimes. I absolutely shoot my carry. I’m not really a safe queen kind of guy. If I don’t use it, I sell it.

I think, with me, that it's more of a mindset I developed in the Army, where if you're an infantryman you're cleaning your weapon literally any time you can. So once I got out and stopped having to worry about scrubbing out star chambers in the woods a few times a day, the act of sitting on a couch and taking down a pistol seemed pretty relaxing.

I think it's all about perspective. To a man who shoots 2/3 times a week, I don't shoot that often. Compared to a guy who gets out to the range once a year, though, I'm a "frequent shooter." But I'd never leave a firearm uncleaned after a range trip, even if it's just getting the schmutz out of the barrel and off the boltface.
I'm retired army so I get that concept of a clean fire arm. When I really started to get into personal owned fire arms I used to clean them every range trip like you say......because it was engrained in me. Then I slowly realized that.....I just got back from the range on Sunday afternoon.....and I'm going to shoot pins Tuesday night.......so it started to not bother me to give it a spray of ballistol and put it away. Then I started shooting more and more often.....and I realized that even with only a monthly cleaning I'm never seeing malfunctions....ever......and they are not rusting. So my routine shooting guns I clean about once a month and that's it. I don't lose any sleep over it after over a decade of this maintenance process with no rust and no malfunctions.

Back
Top Bottom