P-14 ERA Eddystone Remington Arms Sportserized

I know how some people feel about sportserized firearms, but this rifle caught my eye as a standout. I feel is was done very well and very aesthetically pleasing.

One of my favorite things to do with milsurp firearms is learn the history of them. This rifle has almost no markings, but the ERA & S/N. This lead me down a rabbit hole about reading about the Eddystone plant.

I am 99% positive that it is chambered in 45-70 govt but will not know for sure until I cast the chamber. There are zero marking on the barrel.

20211014_092603.jpg20211014_091811.jpg20211014_091925.jpg

Last edited:
RUINED !
looks good , any idea the time frame it was done.
Had a old gun smith down the street years ago. He said they destroyed lots of surplus junk learning the trade.

I love a nicely sporterized military gun. I wouldn't do it now, but some really nice hunting rifle were made back in the early days.
I'd be surprised if it was 45-70. That wouldn't be a common configuration. A lot of those 1917's were built in magnum rifles. If the bore is .45, it might be a 458 win mag.

I like to tell myself that every sporterized rifle was so far gone that it was the only way necessary to keep it going. Or the missing original parts went on to complete an even nicer rifle. Lol
I love a nicely sporterized military gun. I wouldn't do it now, but some really nice hunting rifle were made back in the early days.
I'd be surprised if it was 45-70. That wouldn't be a common configuration. A lot of those 1917's were built in magnum rifles. If the bore is .45, it might be a 458 win mag.
So 458 win mag was my 1st guess when I first measured the bore. I tried dropping a round into the chamber and it was way off. I got a light in there and I can see that the face of the chamber has a counterbore for a rimmed case. I can also see the chamber is cut for a bottleneck cartridge. I dropped a 45-70 in there and it fits perfect. The 45-70 also fits perfect on the extractor. That's what makes me 99% sure. But there is still some room for doubt, with so many cartridges out there.

I never like the idea of sporterized milsurps, but my dislike really only extends to the Bubba who did the butchery.

If you're just the buyer? Buy it and shoot it! It's a beautiful firearm, no matter what. I think the engine turning on the bolt is a bit much, but I still wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Back in the day making a nice sporterized hunting rifle out of a milsurplus rifle was the thing to do.
They were plenty of them,and they were very cheap.You had the so call bubba biulds,and then you
have some like yours, that someone took the time,and did a very nice job.

I dropped a 45-70 in there and it fits perfect. The 45-70 also fits perfect on the extractor. That's what makes me 99% sure. But there is still some room for doubt, with so many cartridges out there.

Close enough! Touch one off, what's the worst that can happen? ;-)

So is the magazine actually functional? And does it hold 45-70s? That I would like to see.

I like to tell myself that every sporterized rifle was so far gone that it was the only way necessary to keep it going. Or the missing original parts went on to complete an even nicer rifle. Lol

So 458 win mag was my 1st guess when I first measured the bore. I tried dropping a round into the chamber and it was way off. I got a light in there and I can see that the face of the chamber has a counterbore for a rimmed case. I can also see the chamber is cut for a bottleneck cartridge. I dropped a 45-70 in there and it fits perfect. The 45-70 also fits perfect on the extractor. That's what makes me 99% sure. But there is still some room for doubt, with so many cartridges out there.
Time for a chamber casting

Back
Top Bottom