• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

+P Ammo

It also beats the hell out of your hand for those of us that go thru 100-300 rds in an outing.

In almost all cases, I have NOT been able to find out if my handguns (according to the factory) should handle +P ammo.

Much more expensive for practice than standard ammo.

For my 642 I shoot almost exclusively +P. The feel and POI change between +P and standard pressure is pretty large.

For my heavier handguns I mostly shoot standard pressure ammo. They handle much the same with either so I go for the cheap stuff.

Well, since I get my ammo "direct from the factory", it's moot. Now, I use max loads in several guns, as long as they're strong enough to handle it (1911A1, Glock, Colt Revolver, Smith K-38).

The term +P basically means a max load with a light bullet (relatively). In other words, 45 ACP +P's should be about 185 grain, not 230 grain.

And, in those terms, I'm a believer in high velocity and bullets on the light side.

The term +P basically means a max load with a light bullet (relatively)
I have to disagree with that. +P means it is loaded to a higher pressure but it does not imply (nor is it correlated) with bullet weight. For many calibers, SAAMI publishes two maximum chamber pressures: one for the standard load and another for the +P load. That is what +P implies -- higher maximum chamber pressure.

There are calibers with light and heavy bullets with +P loadings. For example, in .38 caliber 158gr is one of the heaviest bullets and there are 158 gr. +P loadings. In 9mm you can find light loads (115 gr) in +P and +P+, medium loads (124 gr) in +P, and heavy loads (147 gr) in +P. In 45 ACP, you can find light (185 gr) +P, medium (200 gr) +P, and heavy (230 gr) +P.

So it isn't correct to say that a +P load is a max load with a light bullet -- it might be a light bullet, a medium bullet, or a heavy bullet.

I don't think 10mm comes in +P.
I wonder why??? :D

The advantage is more power. Downside could be loss of time in shot recovery.

I have Hornady 230gr 45 acp +P factory loads that shoot well in two of three .45s (the third was built in 1913 so I didn't want to push it any :D ).
Those are thumpers.

Now (thanks to a member here from this board) I have a 10mm G29. I don't think I need +P any more :) :D

Back
Top Bottom