P P people, gun purchases

What I’m asking /saying is having getting my ltc restored after an oui charge 30 years ago , I am under the impression that making gun purchases could cause me a problem. So I’m simply asking if anyone else in my shoes has bought anything without getting a visit or hate mail from anyone making legal threats. Just a simple question. I don’t want to get jammed up
If your LTC was legally restored in MA you must have proven you are not FPP? No
You might have to explain your MA LTC suspension or revocation?
But if you have all your records you should be fine

If a prohibited person has their rights restored they can never buy a gun from an FFL. Period. The end. At least until the atf is forced to change their position on this issue.

After a person's rights are restored through the flrb for an ltc or by statute for an fid they remain a prohibited person in the eyes of the atf. Atf is legally wrong but they adhere to a faulty interpretation of the law that every judge that I'm aware of who has examined the issue in mass has refused to follow.

I tell every client to be sure they never try to buy a gun through an ffl in that situation. Atf will be notified and they will come visit and tell you that you can not possess a gun and to dispose of any guns you have. They may be with local pd. Nobody wants that scrutiny. I have seen this happen.
Fact.

It happened to my Brother in law

If a prohibited person has their rights restored they can never buy a gun from an FFL. Period. The end. At least until the atf is forced to change their position on this issue.

After a person's rights are restored through the flrb for an ltc or by statute for an fid they remain a prohibited person in the eyes of the atf. Atf is legally wrong but they adhere to a faulty interpretation of the law that every judge that I'm aware of who has examined the issue in mass has refused to follow.

I tell every client to be sure they never try to buy a gun through an ffl in that situation. Atf will be notified and they will come visit and tell you that you can not possess a gun and to dispose of any guns you have. They may be with local pd. Nobody wants that scrutiny. I have seen this happen.

Sometimes you get really real legal advice that's accurate. 👍🤓
Good luck OP.

What I’m asking /saying is having getting my ltc restored after an oui charge 30 years ago , I am under the impression that making gun purchases could cause me a problem. So I’m simply asking if anyone else in my shoes has bought anything without getting a visit or hate mail from anyone making legal threats. Just a simple question. I don’t want to get jammed up
So, I know someone who lost their DL for a OUI charge. Here's how it worked out in mass:

Step 1: Revocation of LTC
Step 2: CWOF after loss of license and refusing a field sobriety test.
Step 3: Went through all the fallout (breathalyzer in car, mandatory classes, etc.).
Step 4: Reapplied for LTC, was denied because of OUI, suggest FID instead.
Step 6: Denied FID, grabbed lawyer.
Step 7: FID Granted, held FID for 10 years with no legal issues of any kind.
Step 8: Re-applied for LTC, denied because of OUI.
Step 9: Moved to RI, applied for LTC- Denied because "nobody gets LTC out of the gate."
Step 10: Get pistol purchase card, have pistol for some time.
Step 11: Apply for LTC, still pending.

If you live in MA, that OUI is going to haunt you forever, luckly, you won't be stuck with "hunting and target only" anymore, but on the flip of the coin you'll be in a pass/fail loop and mostly fail. If you live in NH, nobody gives a shit about your OUI. I don't know why you think the police are going to pound at your door unless you own firearms illegally under state law, or conversely federal law if you trigger the felon clause on the 4473 for your OUI, people will give a shit about that.

This post kind of reads that you know what you're doing is probably not legal, but you're looking for some sort of reinforcement that you're not wrong. The law isn't hard to follow, so ask yourself- are you following the law?

Just go try. They don’t go after any felon or illegal that gets denied anyways....

Just go try. They don’t go after any felon or illegal that gets denied anyways....
Oh yes they absolutely do. They probably not get every single one but they do make an effort to come get those guys. Just check the DOJ press releases. Those guys get jammed up allll the time.

Last edited:
I just went back and read my original post. Nowhere does it suggest I’m trying to be quiet about anything. I did have work done on a sig but it was done before I lost my ltc for a while and had it restored during the FLRB hearings mess. Why does a simple question have to be turned upside down ? Has anyone had any problems making a purchase anywhere since having their rights restored from being concidered a PP ?
Bolded = read it one more time. I read it 3 times and got the impression you are a prohibited person (or Pee Pee Peeson?) that somehow still has an LTC and wants to do a private purchase to fly under the radar.

OP - call a lawyer and have him/her on speed dial, also memorize the phone number.

Last edited:
So, I know someone who lost their DL for a OUI charge. Here's how it worked out in mass:

Step 3: Went through all the fallout (breathalyzer in car, mandatory classes, etc.).
Step 9: Moved to RI, applied for LTC- Denied because "nobody gets LTC out of the gate."

If you live in MA, that OUI is going to haunt you forever, luckly, you won't be stuck with "hunting and target only" anymore, but on the flip of the coin you'll be in a pass/fail loop and mostly fail. If you live in NH, nobody gives a shit about your OUI. I don't know why you think the police are going to pound at your door unless you own firearms illegally under state law, or conversely federal law if you trigger the felon clause on the 4473 for your OUI, people will give a shit about that.

This post kind of reads that you know what you're doing is probably not legal, but you're looking for some sort of reinforcement that you're not wrong. The law isn't hard to follow, so ask yourself- are you following the law?
His question was about a CONVICTION in MA
Because of the possible sentence time that made him a federally prohibited person
He got his MA LTC back through to courts so MA says he is fine
But if he walked into a FFL even if he leaves with a firearm he risks the federal government coming down on him
Even if he moved out of state he is still a prohibited person
Even in NH

If he is carrying in MA and a MA state police officer checks his gun/LTC for some odd reason that OP did not create he would walk away
If he is carrying anywhere in the country and a ATF agent or other federal agent checked him out his dog is getting shot

It is kind of like weed in MA. You are not committing a crime in the states eyes, federally you are still committing a crime

Basically he needs to buy from a private person in MA and do the required through the portal but he still has a chance of possession being an issue if something else triggers the feds to look into him

Last edited:
Bolded = read it one more time. I read it 3 times and got the impression you are a prohibited person (or Pee Pee Peeson?) that somehow still has an LTC and wants to do a private purchase to fly under the radar.

The rest = if your LTC is VALID, then go buy a gun, you will be FINE.
I think this is some R. Kelley shit.

Because of the possible sentence time that made him a federally prohibited person
But if he walked into a FFL even if he leaves with a firearm he risks the federal government coming down on him
Even in NH

If he is carrying in MA and a MA state police officer checks his gun/LTC for some odd reason that OP did not create he would walk away
If he is carrying anywhere in the country and a ATF agent or other federal agent checked him out his dog is getting shot

It is kind of like weed in MA. You are not committing a crime in the states eyes, federally you are still committing a crime
Thanks, guess I misunderstood the question.

Even in NH

Basically he needs to buy from a private person in MA and do the required through the portal but he still has a chance of possession being an issue if something else triggers the feds to look into him
Damn, now it all makes sense. Thank you for explaining.

What a sh*t show.

You would think that MA being so happy to take away from people, they would not give a gun license to someone that is Federally prohibited.

This is either not accurate or you have been misinformed about the disposition. The rejection for an ltc was either on suitability or he has a conviction. There is no other way he could get an fid and not an ltc unless this was one of those possibilities. If it's a Massachusetts conviction NH and every other state will care because YOU CAN NOT POSSESS A FIREARM.

This is either not accurate or you have been misinformed about the disposition. The rejection for an ltc was either on suitability or he has a conviction. There is no other way he could get an fid and not an ltc unless this was one of those possibilities. If it's a Massachusetts conviction NH and every other state will care because YOU CAN NOT POSSESS A FIREARM.
What is the currant view by the feds on this ? Has there been any movement / legislation on this ??

This is where you shut the eff up and talk to a lawyer after you ask for this thread to be nuked, asking with all your old posts....

What is the matter with you?

If there is a legal path to what you want, you are going to screw it up, with this approach.

I just went back and read my original post. Nowhere does it suggest I’m trying to be quiet about anything. I did have work done on a sig but it was done before I lost my ltc for a while and had it restored during the FLRB hearings mess. Why does a simple question have to be turned upside down ? Has anyone had any problems making a purchase anywhere since having their rights restored from being concidered a PP ?

You should consider taking a class on business writing ..

If you HAVE had your pp status fixed in the courts, just go about your business.

There's another guy angsting over whether he should deny the town changing his water meter.

Y'all are giving yourselves strokes over NOTHING, and that's coming from me, the god-damned KING of beating a horse to death...

I was somehow under the impression that there was a change in oui sentencing guidelines in Ma at some point back when that increased the first offense penalty to the point of Federal PP status kicking in but if the conviction was previous to that it wouldn't count.

Not sure if that would apply here anyway...

This is only true if the conviction was after May 27, 1994 when the penalty for a first time DUI was increased to 2-1/2 years. Before that it was a misdemeanor.

Last edited:
what was the penalty for a second offense DWI before 5/27/94?

The problem with the change in the law in 1994 was they took every DWI before that into consideration.

There was a time you got a DWI, went into court, paid $62.50 in court fees and drove home.

You could do that a few times too. It was a joke, there were no ramifications for a DWI where you didn't hurt someone. Cripes half the time the Cops drove you home.

So if you had one of those say in the mid 70's when you were 18, and 20 years later you get pinched again, you are now facing a charge of DWI second offense and the penalties are not anything to write home about.

Same thing with Minor Transporting, you got one in the 80's, get bagged for DWI later, you are now looking at a DWI second offense. I had a QA Inspector I worked with in the mid 80's that had that happen to him, had to go to jail on the weekends, studied for his PPL while he was sitting in the cell.

Guy I worked with at the T would not touch a drop if he was not home or was going to have to drive. He had SEVEN DWI charges pre 5/94, on the old system. If he got bagged again he was going to go do real time and lifetime loss of license.

This is only true if the conviction was after May 27, 1994 when the penalty for a first time DUI was increased to 2-1/2 years. Before that it was a misdemeanor.
OP stated that the conviction was 30 years ago, if this is accurate then he should be ok federally...

so what gun for pee pee time?

My SW 329PD would be pee pee gun of choice, lightweight so it won't throw off my balance but still enough punch if the perp is hiding behind some thick porclein...

Back
Top Bottom