• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P3AT. What is close in weight and size?

I shot a 365, and loved it. It would be great for a typical carry gun in a regular belt holster with regular clothes. The thing I was seeking here was minimal weight and size for carry in summer shorts. I've heard great things about the PM9, but never shot one. I've held a PM40, and it was pretty nice, but that was a long time ago. I wish I could compare a 365 next to a PM9 some time. The other direction I am looking is for a small revolver.

That detachable barrel gun is a hoot. I'd like to get one of those just for the novelty of it. Probably illegal in Massachusetts.

In terms of shooting there’s no contest between a 365 vs PM9…. 365 is going to come away the winner the only thing the kahr is going to win on is size. The p365 is a more shootable, better handling, less awkward gun.

especially if you can get the thing out of the pocket and on your belt line
Yeah, but this ENTIRE POST is about pockets, not belts.

1664592207855.png

A 380 easily shoots through a 2x4. The caliber matters less if you can hit, what you are aiming for.
I got to look at a LCP380 Max today. It was much smaller than I thought it would be. Why was I thinking it was big like the EC9? That might just do the trick. Now, to see who has one.

1. In fairness, your OP specifically states “pants” so it’s not a stretch to say belts as many here while wearing pants also wear a belt. Perhaps you are mixing up some of the multiple threads you have going on nearly the exact same subject?

2. Maybe I’m wrong but this theme with your posts seems to go back multiple years? Have you considered maybe just buying a used firearm, be it a revolver or small semi, and actually trying it out? Try as you may you can’t converse your way into the Goldilocks gun that will just be the perfect “high capacity, ultra light, revolving semi auto, shrouded striker fired, pocket sized and also fun and easy to shoot at the range” I mean, at this point the headline in the local paper would read “Local man mauled to death by wild coyotes while posting yet another thread on NES looking for the perfect pocket carry gun”

Buy a cheap Kel-Tec, a J Frame, a NAA .22mag, and go for walks in peace and enjoy the fact that you bought a cool firearm and enjoy it.

Edit: I say all that not attempting to be an ass (ok, I’m poking fun a bit) but sometimes is easier and more fun to start somewhere than looking for the exact, super perfect, 1000% ideal solution. That often doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Now, keep in mind, that I bought my P3AT in 2004. It was manufactured in 2003. So, it is nearly 20 years old.
At that time, there was nothing like it. Nothing. Today it's a different story, but back then, folks were going with this or a Seecamp.

I don't regret the purchase and still carry it deep from time to time...

Just an additional note: They (Kel-tec) stopped production of the P3AT in January of this year. Most likely because of the Ruger LCP II.
Please don’t elaborate on carrying it deep…for humanity’s sake…

View attachment 668258

I got to look at a LCP380 Max today. It was much smaller than I thought it would be. Why was I thinking it was big like the EC9? That might just do the trick. Now, to see who has one.

I’m not saying you can’t pocket carry a 365. But for me pocket carry is a tiny gun like an lcp. However at a different point you were bouncing around between different carry options etc. so it’s not out of bounds for us to assume that you would actually entertain some other option.

1. In fairness, your OP specifically states “pants” so it’s not a stretch to say belts as many here, while wearing pants also wear a belt. Perhaps you are mixing up some of the multiple threads you have going on nearly the exact same subject?

2. Maybe I’m wrong but this theme with your posts seems to go back multiple years? Have you considered maybe just buying a used firearm, be it a revolver or small semi, and actually trying it out? Try as you may you can’t converse your way into the Goldilocks gun that will just be the perfect “high capacity, ultra light, revolving semi auto, shrouded striker fired, pocket sized and also fun and easy to shoot at the range” I mean, at this point the headline in the local paper would read “Local man mauled to death by wild coyotes while posting yet another thread on NES looking for the perfect pocket carry gun”

Buy a cheap Kel-Tec, a J Frame, a NAA .22mag, and go for walks in peace and enjoy the fact that you bought a cool firearm and enjoy it.

Edit: I say all that not attempting to be an ass (ok, I’m poking fun a bit) but sometimes is easier and more fun to start somewhere than looking for the exact, super perfect, 1000% ideal solution. That often doesn’t exist.

This is hilarious. Of course I'm getting these all mixed up. Then life shows up and I step away for a day or a month, and something will make me remember. Obviously, I am exercising other options in the meantime, but when bored try to figure things out. Like I said, I saw a pretty cool LCP Max yesterday I had totally dismissed before because I thought the "Max" meant double stacked and fat. I usually am typing here when having morning coffee before work or on a weekend, or at night after everything else is done and settled down. Sometimes, I just hit the find button and something different pops up and I'll see a different viewpoint. Yeah, kinda Goldilocks. Don't want to skinflint, but also want to make sure I'm not throwing money away either. In the end, I'll probably have both a snubbie revolver AND a compact pocket semi-auto, and maybe a PM9 or 365 as the "main carry gun".

I’m not saying you can’t pocket carry a 365. But for me pocket carry is a tiny gun like an lcp. However at a different point you were bouncing around between different carry options etc. so it’s not out of bounds for us to assume that you would actually entertain some other option.
True enough. Now that summer is gone, so are the shorts, and sweatshirts and fleeces are out, so the demand here is dropping anyhow.

I pocket the PPK. I primarily wear jeans so the weight of it really doesn’t swing around. You get used to the weight and after a while you feel naked without it. My P938 is in a Bullard pocket holster and I find it to be uncomfortable. Is it the squared off muzzle or the holster, idk. Both the same size. Trial and error may be in order. Looking back now I could carry the BG and probably go to bed with it. Hellacious gun to shoot and I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with it so I got rid of it. In hindsight I should have kept it. It didn’t have a safety or laser.

This is hilarious. Of course I'm getting these all mixed up. Then life shows up and I step away for a day or a month, and something will make me remember. Obviously, I am exercising other options in the meantime, but when bored try to figure things out. Like I said, I saw a pretty cool LCP Max yesterday I had totally dismissed before because I thought the "Max" meant double stacked and fat. I usually am typing here when having morning coffee before work or on a weekend, or at night after everything else is done and settled down. Sometimes, I just hit the find button and something different pops up and I'll see a different viewpoint. Yeah, kinda Goldilocks. Don't want to skinflint, but also want to make sure I'm not throwing money away either. In the end, I'll probably have both a snubbie revolver AND a compact pocket semi-auto, and maybe a PM9 or 365 as the "main carry gun".

True enough. Now that summer is gone, so are the shorts, and sweatshirts and fleeces are out, so the demand here is dropping anyhow.
Don’t be a pussy, just buy them all.

Risking the “it’s not exactly the right size” but….

Pair of Walmart gym shorts and a Glock 42 (you want any more of a show than that and you’re gonna have to Venmo me)

Attachments

• 4EEA2ADA-C3CE-4DF3-91CE-EEE8C4218029.jpeg
    4EEA2ADA-C3CE-4DF3-91CE-EEE8C4218029.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 16
  • E0D9C612-17EA-4A8F-8891-83C5A1472C0D.jpeg
    E0D9C612-17EA-4A8F-8891-83C5A1472C0D.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 16
You get used to the weight. A rough out holster helps with it swinging around the pocket. It’s like wearing a big watch. You feel naked without it.

Risking the “it’s not exactly the right size” but….

Pair of Walmart gym shorts and a Glock 42 (you want any more of a show than that and you’re gonna have to Venmo me)
Ha ha. Yeah, but add that 42 to a phone, flashlight, and keys. Those shorts don't come with a belt, just elastic band.

Tried that once upon a time, when I had a G42. It's not so much the size as the weight (especially loaded).
See above.

You get used to the weight. A rough out holster helps with it swinging around the pocket. It’s like wearing a big watch. You feel naked without it.
I'm not worried about carrying weight. Trust me, I carry plenty of my own. :) Just the shorts don't like that. See above.

Fortunately, shorts weather is over, so I can wear pants with a belt now, and even a holster, if desired. Changes the equation until next April or so.

Maybe, but it's disconcerting when TWO big things are swinging in the gym shorts at the same time. Just sayin'. ;)
Ugh.

Here is a vid on mag disconnect and thumb safety removal as mentioned at the end of the video in post #174...
I have read that on some occasions the mag disconnect may become only partially engaged and can cause light strikes and other issues...

I have not had any issues with mine (unaltered) and have over 500 rounds through it.

Last edited:
@Coyote33, the nice thing about the LCP II .22LR is that is available and In Stock in this area and is not an expensive gun. (Under $340)
10+1 of Velocitors or Stingers is an excellent choice for what you want...

1665338726651.png

Last edited:
Seems like a decent little gun. Solid, reliable, good for what it is. Velocitors, for sure. Some guns are fussy with Stingers, I've heard. Never for me, but whatever.

Wish they made this identical model in a .22 WMR. That would be perfect.

Anyhow, appreciate the link.

C-33

Back
Top Bottom