• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pa Gun Laws

Um. Just moved back from Philly in May. Aside from Philly sucking, think free state mags, suppressors and politicians and law enforcement that (mostly) respect your rights. Again philly aside. Philly sucks.

I went to PA the other day to renew my LTC. Easy as 123. Fill out the app/take a pic/paay the $20.00 and I was out of there.

There was a thing for a while where Philly wasn't recognizing LTCFs issued elsewhere in the state. I think they got schooled on that and had to stop the practice, though.

There's a reason they call it "Filth-a-dephia". Been a while since I was actually there, but I doubt it's improved. Although "freak-watching" on South Street Friday nights was always entertaining. That was 25+ years ago though... But I've been gone from the area a while, so I don't have much useful info to contribute, I'm just bored at wwork for another 11 minutes...

What part of PA? I'm orig from Pittsburgh area.

Yea, stay out of Philly for sure. Not sure if Pittsburgh is as bad in regards to licensing.
Licenses issued by county sheriff, except in "cities of the 1st class" whatever that is.

Most everywhere outside of the shithole cities is gun country.
No need for a license except for concealed carry.

Do they still prohibit semi-autos for hunting?

Yes, at least for most game.

For all game.

You have to have your rifles locked up and unloaded so no car/truck guns, but besides that and the annoying hunting rules, It's a very gun friendly with a trouble-free CCW (that's what they call it there) process and the deer hunting (among other things) is excellent. It's where I found my identity as a gun loving libertarian and I'd go back if I could.

PA HB 366 is/was a bill to legalize hunting with semi-autos but I haven't heard much about it since February. There are definitely some Fudds there but there are liberty lovers too.

Last edited:
Licenses issued by county sheriff, except in "cities of the 1st class" whatever that is.

"City of the 1st class" is defined in law such that Philadelphia is the only city that could meet the definition. LTCF is issued by the Chief of Police in Philadelphia, rather than the county sheriff. (Philadelphia City and Philadelphia County are coextensive and there is AFAIK no Philadelphia County government, nor sheriff's department, which is why the exception.) Open carry is also legal in PA, except in a "city of the first class", where LTCF is required to OC. OC is *not* common anywhere near Philadelphia and you will invite attention, perhaps police attention, if you do so.

I lived near Philly for about 15 years before moving to the Boston area. It cleaned up drastically in the 1990s. Center City, where most of the tourist attractions and big offices are, is pretty safe, these days. Even NE Philly, which was an open air drug supermarket back during the '80s, has quieted down a lot. (People from the 'burbs used to hop on I95, hop off in NE Philly at Aramingo Ave., buy, then head home.)

South Street is much less of a freak show these days and much more family oriented. (read: Boring.) Back-when, I was probably one of the freaks Radtekk was watching. Since the rents got expensive the only businesses that can afford the rent are the sort of places you find in any suburban mall. Same thing that happened to Harvard Square and Kenmore Square; no more interesting, funky little shops and restaurants. Priced out, gone.

The real sh!thole is Camden, across the river. Urban center subject to NJ's drastic firearms laws, predictable results. Camden has a nice aquarium these days, or so I hear, right next to an arena where there are concerts and so forth. There's also the battleship New Jersey moored nearby. Take the ferry across from Penn's Landing and don't leave the area where those attractions are.

Then again I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes city living. Everybody's different, and likes different things, right? I just wish more city governments were more respectful of peoples' 2A rights and recognized that people like us aren't the problem behind the violence.

What part of PA? I'm orig from Pittsburgh area.

Yea, stay out of Philly for sure. Not sure if Pittsburgh is as bad in regards to licensing.

Most everywhere outside of the shithole cities is gun country.
No need for a license except for concealed carry.

The area in and around Bethlehem/Allentown, Lehigh County. It all depends if the $$ is right. I'm comfortable where I am for the most part, other than lack of anywhere to shoot or the time to do it here. My poor skeet gun hasn't seen the light in a loong time.

Does PA have "safe storage" laws or is a night stand gun not an issue?

Also, anyone familiar with the Bethlehem Pa area? That's where I would be working, but where would be a good place to live?

Last edited:
Stay away from Philadumpia. Not for gun owners. Rest of the state, not so bad... but the dumpia... they'll go full retard on you if they can get away with it.

Stay away from Philadumpia. Not for gun owners. Rest of the state, not so bad... but the dumpia... they'll go full retard on you if they can get away with it.

I'll be over an hour outside there, about the same distance from Philly as I am from NYC now. Been here over 2 years, still haven't gone to the city. I don't even like Boston, screw anything bigger.

I'll be over an hour outside there, about the same distance from Philly as I am from NYC now. Been here over 2 years, still haven't gone to the city. I don't even like Boston, screw anything bigger.

Dumpia makes Boston look like a bastion of freedom in comparison. The moonbat level is even stronger in Dumpia, my guess is because of the giant shithole directly across the river from it. (Camden NJ, pretty much hell on earth).

-Mike

I have been told the Philly has a city income tax (you pay it if you live or work in the city) and as a result there is a rent jump when you cross the border leaving the city.

I have been told the Philly has a city income tax (you pay it if you live or work in the city) and as a result there is a rent jump when you cross the border leaving the city.

Fortunately, I'll be well outside philly, and the rents there seem to be on average $100-150 lower for a comparable apartment as I have in this area.

You'll love it here. You can open carry at Walmart, and everyone that has enough land and loves to plink has a target practice area built on it.
Try Lehigh County, although is getting crowded lately.I am up in NEPA, and it's very rustic and calm.

You'll love it here. You can open carry at Walmart, and everyone that has enough land and loves to plink has a target practice area built on it.
Try Lehigh County, although is getting crowded lately.I am up in NEPA, and it's very rustic and calm.

If I take the job I would be working in Bethlehem, and seeing as I am on call frequently, being able to get there is important.

Well, looks like i'm moving to PA, they came back with more money than I asked for and a promotion on top of it. I'll be out of NY around the end of the month and can finally have my toys back[smile]

Well, looks like i'm moving to PA, they came back with more money than I asked for and a promotion on top of it. I'll be out of NY around the end of the month and can finally have my toys back[smile]

Good luck with all of it!

Saw a few references to Camden. It's not that bad, it's WORSE! Actuall had the State Police on patrol there a while back because crime was so bad. I think Chicago and Baltimore modeled their economies on Camden.

Congratulations! PA is one of my favorite states for a lot of different reasons. It's certainly better than NY or MA for gun owners but it's a swing state so it's important that you remain vocal and active to preserve gun rights while you're there.

Also here is a gun owners site with an active forum. http://www.pafoa.org/

Saw a few references to Camden. It's not that bad, it's WORSE! Actuall had the State Police on patrol there a while back because crime was so bad. I think Chicago and Baltimore modeled their economies on Camden.

No, it's worse then that. Lived near it for years...
If you want to have fun, sit down in cooper hospital waiting room at 3am... lots of interesting peole

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom