• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pachmayr Box Help

I scored a vintage 1974(ish) 4 gun Pachmayr range box off of flea bay. Just refinished felting it and decided to load it up. Problem is that I can only get 1 gun to fit? Combined across all 4 spots there is only about 3/8" available slack. I can fit 1 1911 in and that uses up all the slack with no room for any more guns.

Are you supposed modify the fingers or am I missing something here?

this is what mine looks like...circa 1980's. some dimensions, id of box is 8 1/4" across, 2 end blocks are 1 1/4", middle 3 are 1 1/2". don't know what to tell you, i can fit 4 guns easy. i use to alternate them, one on one side then put the second one in the next block on the other side, vice versa. the box balances better when you carry it and the guns don't mash together as they would if side by side. sorry not much help here.

pachbox.jpg

20170923_203306.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I don't know what you mean by "slack"?
ETA I think I see what you mean.
Ease tension and load all "bays", then tighten it up.

About 3/8" (total) is all I get when it is totally loosened up (gap in first pic). With 1 gun in, notice that all the other blocks are tight on the second pic.

Take one of the black spacers out and you can fit three guns. Photo in 4 has three guns. (I know five spacers). Also, new felt looks about five times thicker than original (in 4)...

Last edited:
Also, new felt looks about five times thicker than original (in 4)...
yeah...and i'm not sure now that that wood section is the original, it may have been replaced at sometime.

I scored a vintage 1974(ish) 4 gun Pachmayr range box off of flea bay. Just refinished felting it and decided to load it up. Problem is that I can only get 1 gun to fit? Combined across all 4 spots there is only about 3/8" available slack. I can fit 1 1911 in and that uses up all the slack with no room for any more guns.

Are you supposed modify the fingers or am I missing something here?

Slide the 1911 back so you are clamping closer to the end of the slide

Slide the 1911 back so you are clamping closer to the end of the slide

I get what you are saying, but the top of the barrel is the same thickness all the way so that doesn't free up any space.

- - - Updated - - -

Cut new wood or trim what you have and finish with thinner felt perhaps.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll start by tracking down a thinner felt and of that does not do it, I'll either trip the blocks or take one out.

this is what mine looks like...circa 1980's. some dimensions, id of box is 8 1/4" across, 2 end blocks are 1 1/4", middle 3 are 1 1/2". don't know what to tell you, i can fit 4 guns easy. i use to alternate them, one on one side then put the second one in the next block on the other side, vice versa. the box balances better when you carry it and the guns don't mash together as they would if side by side. sorry not much help here.

View attachment 207991

20170923_203306.jpg

Blocks definitely look different! Thank you for posting this.

Looks like spacers are in there. Try and remove them. I wish I still had my old Pac box.

Indeed. I couldn't find one so bought the Strong Case by TnB thru Champions Choice. Thing was huge, too big in fact. Ended up buying some exotic wood and custom made one that I was very happy with. Lot of work resizing and book matching the case all the way around but it ended up being a great case.

Looks like spacers are in there. Try and remove them. I wish I still had my old Pac box.

Spacers are glued in and I see no way to remove a block. Also, taking the spacers out would actually not free up any space if that makes sense because the blocks need to expand out and not in. As much as I don't want to, I may have to take a saw to it and make some modifications.

Back
Top Bottom