• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pack and Postal

When you get in ask them where you can go online to buy.......I tried getting in there for axfew YEARS!

I live 5 minutes from them. I have always had good luck on Saturday mornings from 10:00-12:00.

I was there earlier this week. Hundreds and hundreds of guns. Most are C&R, some non-MA only (he primarily sells online to non-MA buyers). Hours now seem to be "regular" as in someone is there even if Joe isn't.

Joe is a fountain of knowledge about old guns, that is for sure.

If you are looking for newer model carry guns, this is not the store for you. They run a 4 pg spread in Gun List which will give you a flavor for what they typically carry. I'm sure that the stock turns over too fast to keep a webpage up with a list of guns for sale.

Anyone know if these guys are still in business. I cant find a website or much other current information.

I still have not found any of his advertisements anywhere. Mountain was just there so unless they jump ship in last 2 weeks.....they are there.

Joe typically runs a four-page ad in Gun Digest monthly magazine listing about 120 guns for sale. Old school, no Web site. Worth a visit to the shop, 210 Mill Street, Lancaster, MA. Call first to make sure he's open, check if he has something specific you're looking for, 978.368.0910.

Edit: In case it hasn't been mentionedd, Joe's inventory is concentrated on pre-owned guns, including C&R and milsurp, is continually changing as he acquires items and collections from around the country. It's fun to drop in and see what he has, but if you'd be taking a long drive to find one model, it would be worth calling ahead. There can be some variability in hours, another reason to call before going.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pack and Postal.jpg
    Pack and Postal.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Joe typically runs a four-page ad in Gun Digest monthly magazine listing about 120 guns for sale. Old school, no Web site. Worth a visit to the shop, 210 Mill Street, Lancaster, MA. Call first to make sure he's open, check if he has something specific you're looking for, 978.368.0910.

attachment.php

Is joe running his adds under a different name I have up looking after several Months.

I had trouble finding the Gun Digest ad. Print version only?

I think their hours are 10-5 M-F, something like that. Lots of milsurp / C&R stuff. I have never seen so many Lugers in one place. They had a decent 03A3 and a very nice 1903 National Match but it was an early one that is verboten for CMP matches (receiver strength / heat treat concerns for low serial numbers). Saw a heavy barrell target '03 and other unique and interesting stuff. Seems like they built some inventory from the recent Amoskeag auction. IIRC there were quite a few Colt SAA's.

Interesting place and worth a visit if you are into vintage or milsurp stuff. Not a lot of ammo or accessories, but that's not why you go there.

Thanks guys, looks like a road trip sometime soon. I will certainly call first as its at least an hours drive from where I live. I think IDC Firearms is right up the road so I can do a two fer one.

Thanks guys, looks like a road trip sometime soon. I will certainly call first as its at least an hours drive from where I live. I think IDC Firearms is right up the road so I can do a two fer one.

If possible set up your GPS to ding when ever your near a gun shop. My GPS is,old as dirt. I had to up load all the gun shops from a list weedwhacker here on nes did. I found a few places I never been in.

Hours as of last time I checked are Monday-Friday 10-4, Saturday 10-2, but as noted above it's advisable to call ahead, 978.368.0910. Pack and Postal's ads so far as I'm aware are only available in Gun Digest, subscription info here, http://www.gundigeststore.com/more-great-products/magazines, $23.99 for one year in print, $19.99 for 18 months electronic edition by e-mail in .pdf format. Joe is part proprietor, part curator, possesses a wealth of knowledge about guns. Also as noted above, the shop isn't primarily a place to look for ammo or accessories.

Last edited:
Owner is BFF with Peter Dowd of Village Gun Shop/Village Vault/Yankee Artifacts

Tried once, multiple times, gave up

Last edited:
I call regularly and get through to a lady and ask for Joe but always have to leave a message and he has never called me back. Been looking for a Luger for a bit after being in his shop.

I call regularly and get through to a lady and ask for Joe but always have to leave a message and he has never called me back. Been looking for a Luger for a bit after being in his shop.

I believe that her name is Bridgette IIRC and you should ask her about the gun, she might be knowledgeable. I know that Joe had her do my paperwork when I picked up a gun there.

I believe that her name is Bridgette IIRC and you should ask her about the gun, she might be knowledgeable. I know that Joe had her do my paperwork when I picked up a gun there.

I appreciate it. I was talking about wanting a Luger and a buddy took me in there. Definitely the place to go. Talked to Joe for a bit and I trust him enough to buy a gun sight unseen from him

Didn't see any Mausers nor a K31 that I was seeking, but I did make the 25 minute 'road trip' to Pack and Postal yesterday. Joe is definitley the nicest guy to be found and I concur with everyone who says he is a wealth of knowledge. Another nice guy was in there & if Joe wasn't versed in a particular gun, that guy was. Definitely an old school vibe and the 'mystery' of the inventory adds some fun to the visit.

My interest in milsurp begins and ends with 'good shooters', not necessarily highly collectible stuff, so a definite case of me not knowing what I'm looking at. The best way I can describe the inventory is pull the super high end stuff out of an Amoskeag catalog (General so-and-so's presentation grade XYZ, etc.) and what's left is pretty much what you see.

He did have a very nice Schmidt-Rubin M1896 and K1911 that I could check out as the precursors to the K31. Dozens of Luger P08's ranging from close to $1K and up. Saw a couple Liberator pistols. Many vintage or classic S&W revolvers including an awesome Model 29. Lots of old Colts as well- many nice SAA's. Pretty awesome Thompson with a drum mag, a few M1 Carbines of various makes, '03's, many other milsurp WWI to WWII bolt actions, 22LR target rifles here and there. Saw some Kimbers and something that looked like a Kimber but bigger. Perhaps a couple interesting 'black rifles' and a few modern pistols like a PPS in carbon fiber.

Last minute decision for me to go yesterday. Next time I'll post ahead and see if anyone is looking for something in particular. I had been there only a few months ago and saw quite a few things I had not seen before. One of those places you visit because you never know what you'll find. If you are in the market for a particular pistol, best to have your C&R as Joe has many in stock that are not Mass OK unless you have your FFL or C&R.

Well,, finally got some time off and planned a trip up to Lancaster to Pack and Postal in search of a decent M1 Carbine. Good thing I called ahead because the guy that answered the phone (I think he said his name was Gill) told me that they recently closed for the summer and wont be open again until September 1st [sad2]. Looks like Mountain got there just in time. Oh well, off to the range instead. [laugh]

Last edited:
Bummer! They had at least 3 carbines when I was in there.

Well, at least this explains why some folks might have thought they were no longer open. I think there is an Amoskeag auction on August 27th, so maybe P&P will find some new inventory.

Very Odd M1 Carbine

Stopped by again during my lunch break today, as I do periodically to see if there's anything I'm specifically looking for. Nice selection of Mausers of various types. Though I saw it last visit and could only think what the hell was that, a very peculiar M1 Carbine grabbed my attention for a closer look. It had a gigantic scope, an even bigger light on top of the scope, and a fore grip that looked way out of place. I'll be damned if that contraption was not a legit milsurp!

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/m3-infrared-sniper-carbine-at-ria/

M1 Carbine Night Sniper! Sorry y'all- it's already sold.

Joe has a NRA Krag, which was originally a rifle but with NRA agreement was converted at Springfield to fulfill NRA orders beyond the availability of existing carbines. Interesting piece.

I learned a little more about my 1903 National Match as well. Though it's possible it was sold to the CT Adjutant General for their state rifle team, it also could have been sold as a 'trophy' rifle. Apparently that was a relatively common thing at that period.

Discussion of National Match rifles led to a discussion of the early sniper rifles and eventually the interesting story of Brophy's involvement with getting a non military rifle (the Model 70) adopted as THE sniper rifle.

He'll be adding to the inventory in a couple weeks & I'm sure I'll swing by again. He does stock the slightly obscure .307 Winchester ammo I shoot, so I have an excuse...

Stopped by again during my lunch break today, as I do periodically to see if there's anything I'm specifically looking for. Nice selection of Mausers of various types. Though I saw it last visit and could only think what the hell was that, a very peculiar M1 Carbine grabbed my attention for a closer look. It had a gigantic scope, an even bigger light on top of the scope, and a fore grip that looked way out of place. I'll be damned if that contraption was not a legit milsurp!

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/m3-infrared-sniper-carbine-at-ria/

M1 Carbine Night Sniper! Sorry y'all- it's already sold.

Joe has a NRA Krag, which was originally a rifle but with NRA agreement was converted at Springfield to fulfill NRA orders beyond the availability of existing carbines. Interesting piece.

I learned a little more about my 1903 National Match as well. Though it's possible it was sold to the CT Adjutant General for their state rifle team, it also could have been sold as a 'trophy' rifle. Apparently that was a relatively common thing at that period.

Discussion of National Match rifles led to a discussion of the early sniper rifles and eventually the interesting story of Brophy's involvement with getting a non military rifle (the Model 70) adopted as THE sniper rifle.

He'll be adding to the inventory in a couple weeks & I'm sure I'll swing by again. He does stock the slightly obscure .307 Winchester ammo I shoot, so I have an excuse...

damit you got to get this guy to advertise a inventory somewhere I can find it!

So he had an M3 carbine?
That's pretty goddamn rare.

Yes, still there but sold. When I first saw it, it was not sold. I did however think it was the most goofy looking carbine I had ever seen, and I think carbines are a little goofy looking anyway.

Back
Top Bottom