Pack and Postal

Ask Joe how many items he gets from Peter Dowd. Then research the Peter Dowd process. It may leave you with a different impression than "Eye Candy"

Owner is BFF with Peter Dowd of Village Gun Shop/Village Vault/Yankee Artifacts

Tried once, multiple times, gave up

I guess I missed that.
Tainted goods if true. If hijacked goods are being auctioned off online please out the seller monikers so buyers don't unwittingly partake in the "canibalism".

Ask Joe how many items he gets from Peter Dowd. Then research the Peter Dowd process. It may leave you with a different impression than "Eye Candy"
Any supporting facts here?
I guess I missed that. Tainted goods if true. If hijacked goods are being auctioned off online please out the seller monikers so buyers don't unwittingly partake in the "cannibalism".
I sure hope this isn't true. I've only ever bought one gun from Joe, but I'd hate like Hell to think it was some unfortunate person's stolen property. [thinking] If that is the case, NEVER AGAIN. [mg]

I gave up on trying to reach this guy and bought a Luger from another FFL. If it's true he's good friends with Dowd then he's a scumbag as well and will never buy from him ever.

As I side note, I've heard from another FFL that Peter Dowd is retiring from the business and closing up shop. If this is true that is good news for MA gun owners.

Going to need more explanation.
Like who is Peter dowd and what’s the issue with him. There is obviously a back story somewhere where he got peoples panties in s bunch.
Please elaborate.

Going to need more explanation.
Like who is Peter dowd and what’s the issue with him. There is obviously a back story somewhere where he got peoples panties in s bunch.
Please elaborate.

Peter Dowd owns a Bonded Warehouse and for many years the only one in MA. Police would turn over people's collection to him for long term storage. He would charge exorbitant daily storage charges per gun kept that would make it near impossible for people to pay the charge and get their guns back when legally able to do so. He would keep the guns for a short period and then determine they were abandoned and sell them for profit to himself. He would give a portion of the sale to the police stations that turned the guns over to him for storage. It was a massive racket and one that was deemed "perfectly legal" as it screwed over gun owners who may have had a protective order against them or some other issue. Complete racket that he still does today. Luckily there are other Bonded Warehouses you can request to have your guns stored at.

Joes hours are not as firm as a normal shop, but he is open for walk in service. I make a plan often to hit the Michael's Bridge Dinner near by for lunch on a Sat. and swing by to see if Joe is open. He will be closed at times to attend different auctions. As far knowing about the guns, he has a detailed description about each piece in his inventory written down in a book which the nice and quiet lady can refer to detail the item. As mentioned several times by other posters Pack and Postal does often have a multi page add in Gun Digest (google to get a subscription). I saw one post inquiring about Lugers..... I have never seen less than two dozen lugers for sale during any visit. Typically much more than two dozen lugers. It might be hard to find him open sometimes, but you should walk away with a great respect for Joe's prices and knowledge. I have the highest regards for Joe's business approach. I don't know if any piece came from VV or YA, but I confirm many large inventory additions from nationwide auctions.

edit: See my later post.... P&P confirmed they are not getting inventory from VV 10 May 2018

Last edited:
I have a highest regards for Joe's business approach. I don't know if any piece came from VV or YA, but I confirm many large inventory additions from nationwide auctions.
That was always my understanding. Hopefully, we can get more than just rumors and stories about friendships. Pack & Postal is a great local resource. It would be terrible if Joe is helping Peter Dowd sell his confiscated guns.

Last edited:
Peter Dowd owns a Bonded Warehouse and for many years the only one in MA. Police would turn over people's collection to him for long term storage. He would charge exorbitant daily storage charges per gun kept that would make it near impossible for people to pay the charge and get their guns back when legally able to do so. He would keep the guns for a short period and then determine they were abandoned and sell them for profit to himself. He would give a portion of the sale to the police stations that turned the guns over to him for storage. It was a massive racket and one that was deemed "perfectly legal" as it screwed over gun owners who may have had a protective order against them or some other issue. Complete racket that he still does today. Luckily there are other Bonded Warehouses you can request to have your guns stored at.

Ok
Good to know.
Thanks

I'm not sure why Dowd would bother with pack and postal . I thought Dowd once he deemed guns his unloaded the bulk of them at a NH auction ?
I'm not sure exactly what VV charges but it cost my friend $157 for his dad's 5 rifles as soon as all was sorted out legally o want to say PD kept them for 20 days to give him a chance to have a FFL pick them up and then 25 days at VV?

Fact: Dowd was NOT the only bonded warehouse in the state. Although he's the biggest and most well known in LE circles, Mark Cohen (Powderhorn on Cape Cod) is the other big dog . . . and there have been lots of smaller bonded warehouses in MA for very many years now.

Fact: MGL allows the bonded warehouse to sell them after unpaid storage fees of 3 months. Dowd usually holds them for 6 months before auctioning them off.

Serious Allegation of kickbacks to the PDs. Do you have any proof of this? In today's world I seriously doubt that any PD could get away with this undetected.

I don't like the business of bonded warehouses but it is in the 1998 law and is perfectly legal as of now. Dowd is taking advantage of the law but again nothing illegal per se. Even the Comm2A case was based on holding Dowd as a "state actor" (working for the state) which I believe is true but the court found otherwise and thru the case out. The solution here is to do away with the "bonded warehouse" in the law, but I don't see that happening.

Serious Allegation of kickbacks to the PDs. Do you have any proof of this? In today's world I seriously doubt that any PD could get away with this undetected.

While I'd take your word on most anything law related, not on this one. There were and as proof, it came straight from the horses mouth. Do you at least agree that the fees were exorbitant or are you defending the practice he used?

Len, so you mean to tell me that someone like Dowd couldn't have offered a cash "tip" to like one of the few people at a PD responsible for storing /handling
seized guns? IMHO such a payoff is not "detectable" at all unless someone runs their mouth about it.

-Mike

While I'd take your word on most anything law related, not on this one. There were and as proof, it came straight from the horses mouth. Do you at least agree that the fees were exorbitant or are you defending the practice he used?

It was a question. In the "old days" this sort of stuff was common along with a lot of other things that will get a LEO hung out to dry these days. I am surprised that they get away with it however.

No way do I defend his fees, according to what I read from the Comm2A case. I just stated that MGL allows him to charge whatever he wants, therefore the fees are "legal" unless some law is passed to limit them (not going to happen sadly).

Len, so you mean to tell me that someone like Dowd couldn't have offered a cash "tip" to like one of the few people at a PD responsible for storing /handling
seized guns? IMHO such a payoff is not "detectable" at all unless someone runs their mouth about it.

-Mike

Mike, see his post above, apparently people are running their mouth. In my experience a PD is like a damn knitting circle, tons of things that shouldn't be discussed are bantered about in the station, so yes I'm surprised nobody has been nailed for it yet.

I'm not sure why Dowd would bother with pack and postal . I thought Dowd once he deemed guns his unloaded the bulk of them at a NH auction ?
I'm not sure exactly what VV charges but it cost my friend $157 for his dad's 5 rifles as soon as all was sorted out legally o want to say PD kept them for 20 days to give him a chance to have a FFL pick them up and then 25 days at VV?

Make sure you write a check for the amount due in full every 30 days. Oh sorry personal checks not accepted.

See the link I posted above about the black hole no tracking.

Village Vault. We store guns right...by the book!!
Storage Fees
  • 50¢ per item - per day.
  • Storage fees are payable, in full, every 30 days.
  • Handling fee $15 per item for pickup, electronic processing, and packaging.
  • Disposition fee - $20 per item handling and processing fee.
  • Administration fee - $45 covers the cost of certified mail, bookkeeping, and other administrative costs.
  • Firearms may be sold at auction to satisfy unpaid administrative, storage and disposition fees after proper notice to the gun owner (per Mass. General Laws).
Payments
All storage, disposition and administrative fees must be paid in full before firearms will be released. Inventory must be transferred in its entirety. No partial releases. Payment may be made by cash, money orders, MasterCard or Visa. We do not accept personal checks.

Options
  • If you have had your firearms seized in accordance with MGL Chapter 140, Section 129D you may at anytime transfer or sell your firearms to a properly licensed individual or firearms dealer for a transfer fee of $20 per gun.
  • If your firearms license was suspended and has been reinstated you may redeem your firearms with: (1) your valid firearms license and (2) a confirmation from either the court or your local police department.
    Transfers by appointment only. We can be contacted by telephone, in writing or by e-mail.

"We do it right... by the book!"

I spoke to Joe D. who runs Pack and Postal today, we discussed this thread (he does not visit this site). He noted these points
1) He does not buy inventory from Mr Dowd (aka VV).... last thing he bought from him was over twenty years ago
2) Mr Dowd has been in his shop to buy, not sell
3) The earlier thread about VV moving inventory via auction houses is correct

Long story short the question about VV material moving thru Pack & Postal has no basis. I believe Joe 100% and think he is a stand up guy in every way.

I spoke to Joe D. who runs Pack and Postal today, we discussed this thread (he does not visit this site). He noted these points
1) He does not buy inventory from Mr Dowd (aka VV).... last thing he bought from him was over twenty years ago
2) Mr Dowd has been in his shop to buy, not sell
3) The earlier thread about VV moving inventory via auction houses is correct

Long story short the question about VV material moving thru Pack & Postal has no basis. I believe Joe 100% and think he is a stand up guy in every way.

Thanks very much for taking a little effort to counter the dumbass rumor mill on this thread. I only know Joe via a couple purchases but really like him. He is literally a walking encyclopedia on collectible guns. If he doesn't know a particular detail, he will have a reference on the shelf and knows what pages to check.

Luger in my avatar came from his shop. Excellent condition, 100% correct, shoots fantastic, was available in Mass to a non-C&R, and the price was way lower than I see similar listed on BunGroker and NES classifieds. His shop is full of such deals.

Thank you. [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom