Panic Buying

I pretty much always buy 1-3 boxes of ammo whenever I go to Walmart or anywhere with ammo. Over time the stock really builds up. I view it as a cheap investment.

To the people who think that Hillary won't be able to do anything gun control wise: if she gets to appoint a SCOTUS seat, which she will, the court will rubber stamp basically any state law. Heller will get interpreted so narrowly as to not matter, so liberal states will stack on the gun control. If the Senate and House go D, she'll be able to do almost anything she wants

These so-called "idiots" may turn out to be foresighted geniuses if the shelves are cleared of .22, 9mm, powder and primers if the Hildebeast wins.

Remember, it's only hoarding when someone else does it. When you do it, the term is prudent inventory management.

People are free to do whatever they want, but it's frustrating when you know when the overwhelming component of the price spikes is due to manufactured, but ultimately substance free political drama that stirs up a huge pot of marginal tinfoilers who suddenly decided to become "gun owners" etc. The actual "prudent inventory managers" are probably buying stuff now or they started back when the market started to settle after sandy hook. These people (eg, most of us) stop buying when the prices even start to smell like they're going to get stupid. The knitting circle types that drive up the prices won't start buying until the 11th hour....

The only upshot of all this effluvial bullshit is hopefully at least some small % of these people will eventually become legitimate RKBA advocates, etc. That's the one silver lining to these panics.... while they **** up the marketplace badly, they do have a long term effect of getting us better on the ground support.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm stocking up on all my essentials and build parts, but will definitely be looking forward to a little panic selling of my extras. [grin]

Not sure it qualifies as "panic" but I recently bought my first stripped AR15 lower on a NES group buy. There were extras available and I felt compelled to buy another one.

I'll probably buy a little heavy this summer on reloading components.... just because.

I buy when I can. Today I bought 10 100 packs of 9MM. Lest someone accuse me of hoarding, on Friday night, we went through 300 rounds between 3 of us, and today we went through 200+ of *JUST** 9MM when we were shooting at the outside range. So that 10 boxes is < 1 month of shooting in just that 9 caliber.

I've been concentrating on trying to increase my stock of rifle calibers. .22 (yes I count it as a rifle caliber), .223/5.56, 7.62x39 ad .54R, and Garand food.

The problem is getting rifle food and not shooting it.

As far as firearms, I am saving for a Barrett of other BMG caliber rifle. Was close, but missed out by a c-hair on one that I could afford. The problem is the 'Barrett fund' keeps getting raided by home and auto repairs.

By the time you realize people are panic buying, it will be too late.
Buy now, buy often and you can ride it all out unnoticed.

buy some stuff on a disciplined plan to satisfy your personal minimum. Do it now if you haven't already.
Because : Why haven't you already done it ?

Everything else is gravy and uneccesary. .... Panic buying and shortages are coming , because they always do whether it's an election , mass murder , Red Dawn , UN invasion .... Ride it out knowing whatever you think is enough is already in your closet.

Components and powder are readily available.

Anyone who finds themselves short on inventory and complaining about gun show gougers after the election has only themselves to blame.

Well, food for thought here. Been going to gunshow for over 30 years and the show this weekend was the slowest I ever seen. Those who did buy bought ammo.

Wife just "OK'd" a temporary increase to the discretionary fund. It's not a "panic buy" if it's discussed ahead of time, right?

Components and powder are readily available.

Anyone who finds themselves short on inventory and complaining about gun show gougers after the election has only themselves to blame.

And, anyone that waits too long and then whines about the prices is an idiot.

We do see this coming. Not everybody that stocks up ahead of time is dumb. Truth be known, it's pretty much the opposite. Idiots that listen to fear mongers and gougers hoping to capitalize on that fear is what starts the frenzy. Smart people plan ahead some, as we known the idiots will be the idiots they are.

Thankfully, 2 of my 22's use ammo (Eley) that is pretty much immune to this stuff. It's already about $75-$80 a brick normally. In the frenzies, it doesn't go up much, it just gets a little harder to find.

As to the center fires, I reload anyway, and also swage my own bullets in a few calibers. Primers and powder get a little harder to get, but I've got plenty of powder, and enough primers.

And, anyone that waits too long and then whines about the prices is an idiot.

We do see this coming. Not everybody that stocks up ahead of time is dumb. Truth be known, it's pretty much the opposite.

Yep. I got 3k more 9mm bullets coming next week. Still need/want more bullets and could use a few more primers but I'm pretty much set on powder - unless I come across a great deal I can't pass up lol.

History has shown that primer and powder shortages happen from time to time, and when they do, it's generally at least a year until supply lines get filled to the point where vendors keep stock for more than a few hours after getting a delivery.

We can guess when the next shortage will happen based on political events, but sometimes they can catch us by surprise. The prepared reloader will have a 3 years supply of powder and primers in stock at all times.

Bullets are less of a problem because there are more independent manufacturers, and new players enter the market all the time. Less so with the other components.

Over the years, I've had far harder times getting bullets than powder or primers.

Then again, I use some fairly popular stuff, and it isn't the same stuff a lot of guys do.

If you think powder, primers or bullets can be hard to get, don't try to get bullet jackets in times of shortage. They're far worse, with a longer time to get better. There's pretty much just 2 brands, J4 and Sierra. I've got a bunch on hand. Same with powder and primers. Bunch as in more than 3 years worth.

Over the years, I've had far harder times getting bullets than powder or primers.
I assume you are talking rifle bullets.

I use handgun caliber FMJ bullets, mainly 40S&W, some 45 and 9mm. There are more "second tier" manufacturers of these than there are for the high end rifle bullets, plus I know someone at a factory who can take care of me in times of shortage. I found these to be available in times of shortage of powder and primers, even without calling in a favor.

Last edited:
Just ordered another 1k Rds of Freedom Munitions 9mm RM. (180 shipped)Never an issue with it at all, great stuff. Also 1k of Wolf Gold coming also. Panic buying? No I just shot a lot the last Month.
And no they don't ship to Mass

Last edited:
Was thinking of selling a couple of my Glocks but maybe I'll hold on to them til after the election, cuz if (God Forbid) Hillary wins? I figure I'll be able to list one of my old G22's on Gunbroker sometime in February 2017 and it'll probably sell for about two grand or so.... Hell, the bidding might even approach 3K if she goes full-blown-Australia confiscation...

Just sayin'

Yes, which is a good thing.

I usually grab a box or two of the milsurp buckshot when I can. Again I think the 12 g is the best investment for ammo if you will. Fudds will actually wince if it is threatened.

I think you guys are right. 12g buckshot has been working in the trenches for years. I've been paying so much attention to 9mm and.45acp carry ammo along with .556, That I've been overlooking the fact that I only have about 100 rounds of buckshot. I think I'll stock up. Thanks for wake up call.

Was thinking of selling a couple of my Glocks but maybe I'll hold on to them til after the election, cuz if (God Forbid) Hillary wins? I figure I'll be able to list one of my old G22's on Gunbroker sometime in February 2017 and it'll probably sell for about two grand or so.... Hell, the bidding might even approach 3K if she goes full-blown-Australia confiscation...

Just sayin'

The price of those things unlikely to spike much. Glock 40s aren't going to be any less worthless then as opposed to now. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom