• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Parental consent for under 18 FID

milktree

NES Member
I have a student in my firearm safety class who is 15.

The law says she can only apply for an FID "with parental consent"

Is there a form the state wants, or is it as simple as a letter signed by one or both parents explicitly giving consent? Does the letter have to have particular magic words in it?

I'd like to be able to give her and her father good information so their application process is easy.

I just wrote a single line letter saying my son had my permission. Drove him to the station nice lady who handles the permitting only talked to him not me and I think 30 days later we had the FID.

He had to be finger printed and that happens in the booking area so when he was done I looked a the officer on the desk and motioned towards one of the cells. He knew what I was up to and nodded.

So I had my son get in a cell and told him that this should be the only time he sees one of these from the inside. That was 6 years ago now its time for his LTC.

I remember taking the hunter safety course in my high school cafeteria when I was 15 so I could get my FID card. I don't remember bringing a permission slip, but it was over 40 years ago.
I do remember getting to handle a bunch of shotguns and rifles while learning gun safety. I don't think they do that in schools anymore. Or maybe they do, I don't know.
One of the instructors was also the school guidance counselor and he was the coolest guy ever. I had detention often and he was usually the detention guy. One day I was in there again for doing some dumb shit, I forget what. After detention the counselor drove me home so I could grab my shotgun so that he and I could go pheasant hunting.
While we were out in the fields he'd talk to me about being a better kid and to quit acting up in school and so on. He did more counseling in one day of hunting then most teachers do in a year in school.
He kept a beautiful cloth lined wood case in his VW beetle with a nice English side by side. Imagine a school guidance counselor keeping a shotgun in his car and going hunting with the trouble kids? He'd be doing time today!

I just wrote a single line letter saying my son had my permission. Drove him to the station nice lady who handles the permitting only talked to him not me and I think 30 days later we had the FID.

He had to be finger printed and that happens in the booking area so when he was done I looked a the officer on the desk and motioned towards one of the cells. He knew what I was up to and nodded.

So I had my son get in a cell and told him that this should be the only time he sees one of these from the inside. That was 6 years ago now its time for his LTC.
The officer that took my son's prints was funny as hell. There were 2 guys handcuffed to the rail on a bench about 10 feet from the finger print scanner. When he was taking me son's prints he said "let this be your only time in front of this machine don't be a dumbass like these two guys"! Obviously loud enough that they could hear him.

Taunton wanted a signed letter from a parent or guardian to be submitted with the application.

Taunton wanted a signed letter from a parent or guardian to be submitted with the application.
Haverhill was the same but when I took my son the officer just had me hand write a paper note and sign it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom