Patrick Commences Operation Sweep It Under The Rug

I guess this is where he becomes nothing more than a puppet of the real, unseen forces pulling his strings and running the state:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/03/16/patrick_moves_to_shore_up_his_staff/

Patrick moves to shore up his staff
2 State House veterans tapped to add stability

By Frank Phillips, Globe Staff | March 16, 2007

After two months of escalating political setbacks, Governor Deval Patrick brought in two State House veterans yesterday to help stabilize his new administration and announced the resignation of his wife's $72,000 chief of staff, whose position will be abolished.

Patrick turned to one of Senate President Robert E. Travaglini's top aides, David Morales, to become his senior adviser on policy and strategic planning.

He also moved Joseph Landolfi, a veteran press officer who has led the communications operations at several high-profile state agencies, from Administration and Finance into the governor's inner office to take over day-to-day media operations.

Aides hope that the departure of Diane Patrick's chief of staff, Amy Gorin, will stem some of the heavy criticism the governor has taken for creating the position. She resigned less than a week after Patrick announced that his wife was suffering from exhaustion and depression.

Patrick's advisers, who have spent the last several days working on plans to shore up Patrick's staff, said the governor expects to make other additions in the near future as he seeks to bolster his staff with aides who have more political and media savvy.

"This is a good first step," said one senior aide. "Landolfi has a good knowledge of the press, and Morales knows the politics both inside the State House and outside, and he is someone the governor can lean on."

The shake-up follows several weeks of missteps that have weakened Patrick politically and stirred increasing concern among his supporters that his governorship is foundering in its infancy. A WBZ-TV poll showed a 20-point decline in his favorable rating over the last month.

Patrick's decision will also help calm fears among his supporters that his well-publicized blunders and self-inflicted political wounds will diminish his clout with political powerbrokers on Beacon Hill as he tries to advance his agenda.

"It is about time," said Dan Payne, who briefly advised Patrick during his campaign. "Considering what has happened over the last nine weeks, this is a smart move. This is a critical time for him, and people are forming their opinions, and all they are hearing is bad news."

Patrick's lease of a Cadillac and purchase of $27,000 worth of furniture for the governor's office put him on the defensive within weeks of his inauguration and prompted even his closest supporters to question why he did not anticipate the backlash it would create.

The governor smoothed over some of the controversy by personally paying for the office trappings and a portion of the car lease. Patrick, however, defended hiring an aide for his wife, who is a partner at a Boston law firm, arguing that past administrations have had staff members who help the governor's spouse with scheduling, if not a specially designated chief of staff.

But Patrick's decision late last month to call a top official at a major financial company to vouch for a controversial mortgage company stirred even sharper criticism and a Republican call for an investigation by the State Ethics Commission.

On Feb. 20, Patrick called former US treasury secretary Robert E. Rubin, now a top executive at Citigroup, as the financial giant was considering whether to extend credit and pump cash into ACC Capital Holding, the parent company of Ameriquest Mortgage. Patrick resigned from the ACC board last year after serving two years as a $360,000-a-year director.

In the past week, the young administration became mired in a series of contradictory messages. Communications director Nancy Fernandez Mills, a political newcomer, told a Globe columnist this week that Patrick was unaware of an immigration raid in New Bedford until it was going on, directly contradicting other members of the administration and Patrick himself.

On Wednesday, Patrick seemed to contradict his public safety secretary and social services commissioner, saying that the federal government had given the state assurances that social workers would have access to the illegal immigrants at the New Bedford factory the day of the raid to determine if they had children who needed to be cared for.

Landolfi's move into the governor's circle will diminish Mills's role. She will retain her title and $102,000 salary but focus on so-called new media -- Patrick's podcasts and the governor's website -- and her duties overseeing the external affairs office. Landolfi will take on the title of senior communications adviser to the governor and will oversee press secretary Kyle Sullivan and the press office staff.

Landolfi, 55, who has worked at the highest levels in both Democratic and Republican administrations during the last 30 years, will keep his $107,000 salary, which will continue to be paid by Administration and Finance.

Morales, 32, an activist in the state's Latino community, will get a boost in salary, from about $80,000 in his Senate post to $100,000 a year. Gorin's salary will be shifted to help pay Morales's salary. Morales had negotiated to join Patrick's senior staff during the transition but then backed off.

In a statement, Patrick said that Landolfi and Morales will help him deliver "on the people's expectations for change, including a government that is more responsive to their needs."

Morales is the third Travaglini aide to leave since the beginning of the year, fueling speculation that the Senate president is preparing to step down.

The Globe reported yesterday that a community hospital association is considering a proposal today to offer him a $300,000-a-year position as its president. He has said he is not aware of the potential offer.

Gorin's departure appears aimed at defusing the attacks Patrick has endured for hiring a full-time aide for his wife, which no governor has done since the Dukakis administration.

But his office took pains to make her departure appear voluntary.

"At this time, I want to be as helpful as I can to Diane as a friend, and I feel that I can best accomplish that outside of the Executive Office," Gorin said in a statement released by the governor's office.

Andrea Estes of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

I just love talking to someone who voted for him because I've been able to say "I TOLD you so." [laugh] [laugh]

Lynne, they don't care. This guy could do just about anything short of child molestation and they'll excuse it. Seriously.

Just go check out BlueMassGroup. According to most of the folks over there, any problem reported in the Globe or Herald is a reflection of "gotcha journalism" or bad reporting and Sainted Governor Patrick isn't being given a fair shake.

Those people are 100% delusional in their support of this jackass. In four years the Commonwealth will be in more of a shambles than it is now and they'll blame anyone but Cadillac Deval.

Actually, Mr. W, I said that to someone who supported him ( a liberal gun owner...I know, it's kind of like an oxymoron) and he looked down at his feet and said, "I know." My mouth nearly dropped open and jaw almost hit the floor.

Yeah but Deval's incompetence has helped insure that he hasn't actually been able to do much thus far. If he keeps up this streak, his 4 years won't amount to much and maybe that's the best possible outcome we could hope for.

Jim, I think you right about that... given the circumstances his incompetence
is a good thing.

His tour in office so far reminds me of this scene from one of the ATHF
episodes where they're trying to get out of the garage, and the door keeps
going up and down, meanwhile all the lights are flashing and the music is
playing, but nothing productive is happening. [rofl]

-Mike

I'd like to know how much all these new handlers, whose only purpose is to make him look like less of an idiot, are going to cost us taxpayers.

And now I have an answer:

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_5452048

Landolfi, who reports directly to Patrick and Benjamin, will make $107,000 a year. Morales will be paid $100,000 a year. A string of public relations fumbles lead to the changes, including a controversial federal immigrant raid in New Bedford, which Patrick had known about for months.

So, he "saves" the taxpayers $72K by the "resignation" of his wife's handler, and then creates two new positions for $207K whose only purpose are to make sure his public image isn't tarnished.......

Aide for Patrick's wife resigns
By Hillary Chabot Sentinel & Enterprise Statehouse Bureau
Sentinel & Enterprise
Article Launched:03/16/2007 10:53:08 AM EDT

BOSTON -- The chief of staff to Gov. Deval Patrick's ailing wife resigned Thursday, and Patrick said he does not plan to refill the position.

Patrick also put two statehouse veterans on his communication team in an attempt to get a fresh start, said several political analysts.

"The fact that he's hired people who really know their way around policy and politics shows that Patrick knows he has problems and that he's trying to fix it," said political analyst Mary Anne Marsh. "I give him a lot of credit for taking these steps, but there's a long row to hoe in terms of getting his momentum back and returning to the person people thought they elected as governor."

Amy Gorin, a former volunteer who worked on Patrick's campaign, resigned as First Lady Diane Patrick's chief of staff Thursday. The salary for the position was $72,000 a year.

Her resignation comes one week after Diane Patrick was treated for depression and exhaustion following harsh criticism against her husband.

"At this time, I want to be helpful as I can to Diane as a friend and I feel that I can best accomplish that outside of the executive office," Gorin said.

Gorin was the first staff member hired by the governor for the first lady since former Gov. Michael Dukakis' administration.

For his new hires, Patrick tapped Joe Landolfi, who handled communications for various departments under both former Gov. William Weld and Gov. Paul Cellucci, to be the senior communications advisor to the governor.

He also announced David Morales, a senior aide to Senate President Robert Travaglini, would join the staff as a senior advisor working under Chief of Staff Joan Wallace Benjamin. Both men have worked in politics for several years and know their way around the Statehouse halls, Marsh said.

Landolfi, who reports directly to Patrick and Benjamin, will make $107,000 a year. Morales will be paid $100,000 a year. A string of public relations fumbles lead to the changes, including a controversial federal immigrant raid in New Bedford, which Patrick had known about for months.

"Obviously there have been bumps in the road. Over the next few years the governor will reevaluate his staff to make sure the administration is firing on all cylinders," Landolfi said. "This is an opportunity to bolster existing his staff and make sure his messages are being effectively communicated."

Patrick needed to add both political and media-savvy staff, said Democratic political analyst Michael Shea.

"Clearly he needed someone who thinks about how (his initiatives) play out in the press, someone who'll say, 'Here's what the papers are going to do with it and here's what your enemies are going to do with it," Shea said

Nancy Fernandez Mills, who serves as communications director, will focus on new media and constituent services, while Landolfi will take over the day to day press operations.

Now Patrick must show that he has substance in addition to a staff who know the political ropes.

"You can have the best ideas in the world and it doesn't matter if you don't sell them. You can also be a great salesman, but it doesn't matter if you don't back it up with substance," Marsh said.

Patrick turned to one of Senate President Robert E. Travaglini's top aides, David Morales, to become his senior adviser on policy and strategic planning.

Meaning: rescue his a**

He also moved Joseph Landolfi, a veteran press officer who has led the communications operations at several high-profile state agencies, from Administration and Finance into the governor's inner office to take over day-to-day media operations.

Meaning: B.S. us on a larger scale.

Aides hope that the departure of Diane Patrick's chief of staff, Amy Gorin, will stem some of the heavy criticism the governor has taken for creating the position.

Meaning: I'm taking too much flak for having you here. Here's your pension.

Patrick's advisers, who have spent the last several days working on plans to shore up Patrick's staff, said the governor expects to make other additions in the near future as he seeks to bolster his staff with aides who have more political and media savvy.

Meaning:B.S. us on a really HUGE scale.

"This is a good first step," said one senior aide.

Meaning: More damage control quick !!

Can anyone guess how I feel about this clown ?[crying]

I think the whole breakdown thing is BS. There is no way he'd announce it if there were to be no gain from it. He thinks, by throwing his wife under the bus-tagging her with crippling depression-that he will get a pass under the 'pity the man' umbrella. I don't buy it for a second.

I was literally dumbstruck that an ultra-liberal friend of mine actually said a couple weeks ago " I can't believe I voted for that douche"- of course she had to stick it in that I voted for Bush twice...- but it's pretty incredible how quickly he managed to lose his people who never bothered to actually ask" together we can_what_ ?.

Back
Top Bottom