• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patrol Rifle & Ammo Stolen From Parked MSP Cruiser

Today on the news they said the "patrol rifle" was an M4! MSP leaves M4's in cruisers overnight? Probably not a good idea...
Friend is MSP
He is on a sports team of mine
He lives 20 mins south, games are 20 mins north for him, he starts his shift 15 mins north of the games
He never takes his MSP vehicle even though he would be allowed because he says he is not allowed to park it with the rifle. (so he makes a loop back to pick up the vehicle)

One more piece of paper isn't the real issue, they're more concerned with the leftist city and town folk screaming about machineguns, it throws a monkey wrench into their virtue signaling.

If I were a CoP, I would not want my guys having MGs.

I can't think of a time a cop is ever likely to need it in connection with 99.9999% of his duties, and I can also think of A LOT of damage he can do if he uses it when he shouldn't. Think of how many cops are dumb, then think about whether you want to leave it up to them whether they want to go FA. There's also the fact that I don't want to waste my annual ammo budget on the training it would entail, meaning I'd know they were going out without adequate training.

Nope.

So....As a citizen that pays for the cops' equipment....why do staties take their cruisers (and apparently other toys) home? This means that we need to pay for 3x (Actually probably more, to cover breakdowns) the number of cars that we "should".

Seriously.
1) staties cover large territories and often don’t start or end their shifts at the barracks. It’s a very different patrol than a local officer in Burlington.

2) the statie may need to respond at off hours and he can do so directly with a take home cruiser. Response would be slower if he had to go to the barracks first.

3) take home cruisers last a lot longer than shared cruisers because the trooper takes care of his unit instead of beating the poo out of it.

4) take home cruisers are common for rural jurisdictions, very rare for urban suburban (besides chief and detectives).

Last edited:
The department-issued patrol rifle was secured in a mount inside a cruiser that was parked at a residential complex in the city, according to state police.
I’m curious how they got the tip to look inside another police cruiser to look for the lost AR15. Why not search the cities and assume a hoodlum from the street broke in the car?
I’m not buying the story that a police AR15 was located and stolen from a locked police cruiser, and was magically found secured in another police cruiser and The End.

I’m curious how they got the tip to look inside another police cruiser to look for the lost AR15. Why not search the cities and assume a hoodlum from the street broke in the car?
I’m not buying the story that a police AR15 was located and stolen from a locked police cruiser, and was magically found secured in another police cruiser and The End.
I think you’re misreading. I read this as two events.

1 - rifle stolen drom car in complex
2 - rifle found in. Boston - no further details supplied

I think you’re misreading. I read this as two events.

1 - rifle stolen drom car in complex
2 - rifle found in. Boston - no further details supplied

Yes. The article was written by a moron, but I don't think they're claiming it was "recovered from a mount inside a police cruiser." I think they're saying it was stolen from such a mount, then recovered later... somewhere else.

I'll take things that Never Happened for $500 , Alex

Quick little Massachusetts cover up we have here... to save some embarrassment..

so after MSP said this was a "professional" B&E into their vehicle to get the "patrol rifle" it turns out it was a couple of kids who did it, a 14 and 15 year old according to reports.

As to where the vehicle was parked, it was in a garage over at the old Rowe's Quarry

An M4? Isn’t that a WPFAWMD?

You know, like if we owned it it would be a White Privilege Full Auto Weapon of Mass Destruction?

I found a picture from back when the local newspaper still had local photographers with scanners and would show up on calls as they should for the news. This incident was an unfounded "gun call" at Rutland State park circa the Covid Panic 2020. I think they have a simple lock vault in the back... or maybe the M-4 is secured via straps or hooks. Zoom in to see.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3616.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
1) staties cover large territories and often don’t start or end their shifts at the barracks. It’s a very different patrol than a local officer in Burlington.

2) the statie may need to respond at off hours and he can do so directly with a take home cruiser. Response would be slower if he had to go to the barracks first.

3) take home cruisers last a lot longer than shared cruisers because the trooper takes care of his unit instead of beating the poo out of it.

4) take home cruisers are common for rural jurisdictions, very rare for urban suburban (besides chief and detectives).
5) It makes it easier for state troopers to radio in for their shift and then go back into their house

Cops f***ing off on their shift rather than working is not new and not limited to those with takehome cruisers.
Yes but screwing off and not working while at home is so much more convenient than finding a parking lot to nap in.

Section 131L: Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment​

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

(b) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a firearm, rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon, by a fine of not less than $1000 nor more than $7,500 or by imprisonment for not more than 1.5 years or by both such fine and imprisonment and, in the case of a large capacity weapon or machine gun, by a fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 1.5 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(c) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon and the weapon was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age who does not possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $2,500 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 1.5 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(d) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun that was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $10,000 nor more than $20,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 4 years nor more than 15 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(e) A violation of the provisions of this section shall be evidence of wanton or reckless conduct in any criminal or civil proceeding if a person under the age of 18 who was not a trespasser or was a foreseeable trespasser acquired access to a weapon, unless such person possessed a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B and was permitted by law to possess such weapon, and such access results in the personal injury to or the death of any person.

(f) This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearm, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

=========================

but qualified immunity, y'all
What does "under the control of" mean?

To be sure I am complying with the law I only use keister weapons. It's under my control unless I have dysentery and if that's the case I will use the exigent circumstances defense.

When the police are in possession of an AR, it's called a patrol rifle but when a civilian possesses an AR it's called an assault weapon. Same rifle, different name.

That’s never been well defined by the courts. On your person is definitely under your control. Beyond that is anyone’s guess.
Have to be awake, too.

In the case of Saruman v. Mithrandir the court held that since Gandalf was asleep when Peregtine Took removed the planatir from his possession, it was not "under his control."

Or maybe that was People's Court fan fiction. I'll have to check.

The suspect accused of stealing a patrol rifle from a State Police cruiser in Malden is on the run, according to I-Team sources.

Sources say on Friday afternoon, police were notified the 15-year-old suspect, who faces several charges in the theft, cut off his GPS monitoring bracelet. That triggered a "be on the lookout" bulletin that was broadcast to officers on the street, telling them he could be armed with a handgun.

The 15-year-old suspect is one of two Malden teens charged in March with breaking into a marked police cruiser in a Malden apartment complex and stealing the rifle along with ammunition.

Days after the theft, police arrested the teens and recovered the gun in one of their basements. At the time, the district attorney said the rifle had not been used in any crimes.

The teens were charged in juvenile court and released with GPS monitoring devices. Sources say a warrant has been issued for the teen who cut off his bracelet.

Police have been warned to use caution if they find him, suspecting he may be armed.

Section 131L: Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment​

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

(b) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a firearm, rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon, by a fine of not less than $1000 nor more than $7,500 or by imprisonment for not more than 1.5 years or by both such fine and imprisonment and, in the case of a large capacity weapon or machine gun, by a fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 1.5 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(c) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon and the weapon was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age who does not possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $2,500 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 1.5 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(d) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun that was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $10,000 nor more than $20,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 4 years nor more than 15 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(e) A violation of the provisions of this section shall be evidence of wanton or reckless conduct in any criminal or civil proceeding if a person under the age of 18 who was not a trespasser or was a foreseeable trespasser acquired access to a weapon, unless such person possessed a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B and was permitted by law to possess such weapon, and such access results in the personal injury to or the death of any person.

(f) This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearm, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

=========================

but qualified immunity, y'all
Well, he’s a cop so laws obviously don’t apply to him.

Come on guys, we gotta get those deadly patrol rifles off our streets…

Back
Top Bottom