Paul Revere Concealed Carry

This pocket flint-lock pistol, made of wood and brass, belonged to Paul Revere (1735-1818). The shape of the handle is known as a "fish tail."

Paul Revere was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1735. He married twice, first to Sarah Orne in 1757, and, after her death, to Rachel Walker in 1773. He was a patriot, master silversmith, an engraver, and designed and printed the first Continental money. Revere was a principal participant in the Boston Tea Party and an official courier for the Massachusetts Provincial Assembly to Congress. He supplied copper work for the U.S.S. Constiution. Paul Revere died in Boston in 1818.
6078_pistol_work_lg.jpg

Do we think he built this himself? Anyone seen this before?
He certainly would’ve been capable Had he put his mind to it as he manufactured bells and dabbled in cannons on top of his better known skills, however I’ve never heard or read of him producing small arms. Most likely french or Brit?

Last edited:
No, he didn't make this. He was not a gunsmith. That was its own trade, and if the local lockmakers had gotten wind of it, they'd have had harsh words for him. It would have been infinitely cheaper for him to buy a lock than to learn how to make one.

This should still be a flintlock... I doubt Revere ever handled a percussion lock.

No, he didn't make this. He was not a gunsmith. That was its own trade, and if the local lockmakers had gotten wind of it, they'd have had harsh words for him. It would have been infinitely cheaper for him to buy a lock than to learn how to make one.

This should still be a flintlock... I doubt Revere ever handled a percussion lock.
It is a flintlock though.missing the pan.

Is it me, or is it missing stuff, like the frizzen?

I suspected it might have been altered to percussion at some point? I'm no expert, though. And that doesn't explain why the hammer still has the dog to hold the flint.

Maybe all those parts just fell off.

Can I buy a replica? Anyone know what it's called or if anyone makes stuff like this.
Kid at my gun club builds antique random stuff.
He built one of the guns from Pirates of the Caribbean
Pedersoli. They don't have this exact gun but they have a lot of very nice flintlock guns.

Don't buy the cheap Indian junk. Looks great on pics, not so great reviews.

What are the dimensions on that thing? Was it actually pocketable or are we talking about shoving a 6” .357 in your pants?

That is a French made coat,or as they were also called muff pistol.
Let us not forget that Paul was also a Free Mason.

Is it me, or is it missing stuff, like the frizzen?

Lost it during the winter of 76/77 while crossing the Delaware with Washington. He always said of that day: "I was frizzen my ass off!"

Concealed carry on a flint-lock is not effective. Imagine all the jostling in the pocket. I'm thinking the flashpan will be devoid of powder within a couple of hours or so of carry.

Back
Top Bottom