• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PCC people

what is the factual, real life practical incentive to shoot 9mm at 400yds, ever? or even 100yds?
i am not gonna lie - i do not understand all the hype behind the PCC. if there are any aficionados of it here - can you calmly explain your point of view, please?
i am not attacking at all and as open minded as anybody else - only want to hear your opinion.

what is the factual, real life practical incentive to shoot 9mm at 400yds, ever? or even 100yds?

Ran out of rifle ammo? That's about the only thing I can think of.

As far as the usefulness of a PCC, they are neat, used to be cheaper to shoot then rifles, and they are quieter with a can?.

I'd still like an MPX for night time fun shooting in my backyard, but in reality if I ever needed to do rifle things, I would do those things with a rifle.

I love my PCC's, but aside from seeing if I could actually do it in a range setting, I'd never realistically considering using it for defense past 100 yards max, and ideally it would be a sub 50 yard gun. Beyond that, I don't like my odds with the hold overs and wind effects. And if you were actually trying to use it at crazy 400 yard ranges and the person on the other end actually pulled out a real rifle, then you'd be F'd.

i am not gonna lie - i do not understand all the hype behind the PCC. if there are any aficionados of it here - can you calmly explain your point of view, please?
i am not attacking at all and as open minded as anybody else - only want to hear your opinion.
Pistol calibers become more impressive out of 16in barrels...

Maybe less concussion in closed quarters ?

Not really sure but the guns look cool and it was cheaper to shoot pistol rounds than rifle rounds

-You can shoot them on indoor ranges where rifle calibers aren't allowed or heavily restricted
-They're generally significantly quieter, even without suppression, vs a real rifle caliber. Still loud but easily an order of magnitude quieter/less blasty.
-If you can put a can on them, they can be made pretty damned quiet, with subsonic bullets... and subs will cycle the gun.
-If you're a reloader, you can reload straight walled pistol (like 9mm) a lot easier than stuff like .223, so if you have materials, its cheap to shoot
-If you want to compete, There's now a USPSA division with it. USPSA generally didnt have anything rifle-like because a lot of club action pits and steel
not set up for rifle calibers, so it adds new dimension to sport.
-Some of them look cool and are fun to shoot.

That's basically about it.

As far as the usefulness of a PCC, they are neat, used to be cheaper to shoot then rifles, and they are quieter with a can?.
I'd still like an MPX for night time fun shooting in my backyard, but in reality if I ever needed to do rifle things, I would do those things with a rifle.
ok, so, it is also how i see it, minus the price point now, as last 2k of .223 rounds i was able to get for a cheaper price than 9mm.
may be compactness - but, for that i have x95.

are those PPCs reasonably accurate at 50yds? can you, say, hit a squirrel well at that range with them, having a 13 or 16" barrel?

Last edited:
-If you want to compete, There's now a USPSA division with it. USPSA generally didnt have anything rifle-like because a lot of club action pits and steel
not set up for rifle calibers, so it adds new dimension to sport.
huh, interesting. what what kind of a PPC folks use there, usually? a kel-tec? i have heard it is not very accurate, at all.
considering i have a heckload of glock mags - what is the best one to think of? i know very little of that, as you can see - never cared to know. :)

Even without the can a 9mm PCC is way quieter than a 5.56 rifle. Or at least it has way less concussion. If I shoot a 16" AR and my 16" Skorp 9mm indoors, the Skorp is
probably the most docile thing that isn't a .22 LR, that I've ever fired on an indoor range in terms of blast/concussion/loudness. It's still going to be f***ing loud, but it won't quite punch you in the skull the same way.

I have a skorp.... will I ever get another PCC? Yes, but only if it is an SMG and not strictly semiauto. [laugh] It better have pictograms on the side of it or S-E-F.

I’ve found they are a great way to transition people, who have been conditioned to be afraid of ARs, to rifles. When you remove the magazine from the pistol they just shot and then put it into the PCC it takes some of the scary mystique away.

huh, interesting. what what kind of a PPC folks use there, usually? a kel-tec? i have heard it is not very accurate, at all.
considering i have a heckload of glock mags - what is the best one to think of? i know very little of that, as you can see - never cared to know. :)

I haven't seen the distribution of guns, but I would hazard a guess AR9 clones are the most popular, but people run stuff like uzis, mp5 clones, as well as semiauto SBR of the
same as well. If you have Glock mags you could build an AR9 no problem. I think they might even have lowers which will lock the bolt open on empty.

I’ve found they are a great way to transition people, who have been conditioned to be afraid of ARs, to rifles. When you remove the magazine from the pistol they just shot and then put it into the PCC it takes some of the scary mystique away.

Well, that, but they are also less blast-Y..... if you're stuck indoors, moving to a PCC wont "punch them in the face" like an AR or AK does when they touch it off. I mean we're pretty much immune to that stuff, but to a tepid newbie that can be overwhelming to some of them. .

I haven't seen the distribution of guns, but I would hazard a guess AR9 clones are the most popular, but people run stuff like uzis, mp5 clones, as well as semiauto SBR of the
same as well. If you have Glock mags you could build an AR9 no problem. I think they might even have lowers which will lock the bolt open on empty.

Flannel Daddy (GarandThumb) has a wide variety of PCC videos that discuss which PCCs see competitive use. In my observation, local New England PCC shoots are about keeping costs low and introducing new shooters into competition - those people are unlikely to come out with SP9s.

Flannel Daddy (GarandThumb) has a wide variety of PCC videos that discuss which PCCs see competitive use. In my observation, local New England PCC shoots are about keeping costs low and introducing new shooters into competition - those people are unlikely to come out with SP9s.

Not even saying theyre a regular appearance, but I know guys who have run things like mp5 clones etc. I would be surprised of AR9 clones were not common. Some of those builds are well under a grand.

For some, they are fun training platforms that, pre pandemic, allowed for cheap training. For others, they provide a level of accuracy they can't obtain with a pistol (me included). And if 9mm is good enough for self defense out of a 4" pistol barrel, then it should be great out of my 8" SBR. Plus, living in a highrise condo, I don't think I'd want to fire an intermediate round SBR indoors without ear pro in a self defense scenario. 9mm would be loud too, but not 556 SBR loud.

To shred bad guys
as they will burst from laughing? :)
no, ok, thx to all who responded - will try to watch some videos when time will permit. An AR9 is an interesting way, why not. i would prefer something more compact, but, why not.

I have two Ruger PCC's; one's a CT compliant model, the other's a free state model.
They're very accurate, easy to shoot and the charging handle and mag release can be installed on either side.
They come with Ruger magwell installed and a magazine, but also include an adapter for Glock mags. With that Glock adapter, they accept G17/G34 mags.
I have them in 9mm, but they're also available in .40mm.

Free State model: Ruger® PC Carbine™ Autoloading Rifle Model 19122

CT Compliant model: Ruger® PC Carbine™ Autoloading Rifle Model 19101

I also have a PSA 9mm AR. It's accurate, and since it was purpose built from the factory to run 9mm, I haven't had any of the issues some people have choosing hammers, springs or buffers.

I've handled KelTec Sub2000, not impressed by it; it just felt cheap. The only thing it's really got in its favor is that you can fold it up and put it in a backpack. The Rugers are takedowns so they fit in backpacks pretty easily too.

I have two Ruger PCC's; one's a CT compliant model, the other's a free state model.
They're very accurate, easy to shoot and the charging handle and mag release can be installed on either side.
They come with Ruger magwell installed and a magazine, but also include an adapter for Glock mags. With that Glock adapter, they accept G17/G34 mags.
I have them in 9mm, but they're also available in .40mm.

Free State model: Ruger® PC Carbine™ Autoloading Rifle Model 19122

CT Compliant model: Ruger® PC Carbine™ Autoloading Rifle Model 19101

I also have a PSA 9mm AR. It's accurate, and since it was purpose built from the factory to run 9mm, I haven't had any of the issues some people have choosing hammers, springs or buffers.

I've handled KelTec Sub2000, not impressed by it; it just felt cheap. The only thing it's really got in its favor is that you can fold it up and put it in a backpack. The Rugers are takedowns so they fit in backpacks pretty easily too.
bingo, i just jumped back from the glocktalk where i was reading about it - as i do run G17/34.
speaking of those ruger PCCs - is the model 19122 allowed for FFL xfer in MA? Or just 19101, same as for CT?
not going to buy :) - just curious.

Just remember, they made a BHP with a tangent sight and a butt-stock. LOL. You were lobbing them in there though.

huh, interesting. what what kind of a PPC folks use there, usually? a kel-tec?

Anything and everything.
I've seen the Rugers, A.R. style, the J.R.C, I'm pretty sure someone from Mansfield ran an H.K. last year. Anything thats considered a Rifle that shoots pistol caliber.

Real popular in Steel Challenge.
U.S.P.S.A has a provision like said above.
I'm pretty sure I.D.P.A. does too.

There may be a "production list" out there for each of the games but its pretty lenient.

Anything and everything.
I've seen the Rugers, A.R. style, the J.R.C, I'm pretty sure someone from Mansfield ran an H.K. last year. Anything thats considered a Rifle that shoots pistol caliber.

Real popular in Steel Challenge.
U.S.P.S.A has a provision like said above.
I'm pretty sure I.D.P.A. does too.

There may be a "production list" out there for each of the games but its pretty lenient.
so, to simplify the question - is this one MA compliant?

I'm building a 16" AR9 because I reload 9mm and not 5.56. It will give me something affordable to shoot until the price of 5.56 becomes reasonable again.

While I enjoy reloading pistol ammo, I cannot stand the hassle of reloading for rifle, mostly just the case prep.

Back
Top Bottom