• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham F&G suicide

WTF do these people have to do this in public? You want out? Fine, check out someplace nice and quiet. Alone you selfish bastard.

Here is the comment posted in the second link from the OP:

It's MAINER MIKE BROWN, and this article makes me think of this story.

"Gary" was an elderly man who had a happy life for the most part. Until he became elderly, that is.

Gary began having physical problems, many of his friends had passed away, and his wife was in a nursing home, as she had Alzhiemer's disease.

Gary began obsessing about how the good old days, in his mind, were so much better, and felt his future looked bleak. 'Getting old is no good' became his most common saying.

Finally, he had enough. He had thought of suicide for the past year, and with life only getting worse in his opinion, decided to end his life with a gun.

If only Gary had seeked professional help instead. Maybe a therapist could have given him advice that would've helped. Or maybe medication would've been another helpful benefit.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

If only Gary had seeked professional help instead. Maybe a therapist could have given him advice that would've helped. Or maybe medication would've been another helpful benefit.

Or, to pick up on a related discussion over at the Volokh Conspiracy, maybe he would have been reported as being mentally unstable and potentially dangerous, and have had all his guns taken away, leaving him more depressed and miserable than before. You take could've, would've, might've and should've in one hand and $1.50 in the other, and it'll get you a cup of coffee at your neighborhood Dunky's.

Ken

WTF do these people have to do this in public? You want out? Fine, check out someplace nice and quiet. Alone you selfish bastard.

+100. Why do they have to go and desecrate ground that has no doubt been a happy place for a lot of people? make a mess of their head that someone has to clean up?

I'm a member at PF&G, and on Friday afternoon I went to go shoot for a little while with a friend of mine at about 12:30...went to pull in and there were 6 or 7 police vehicles at the entrance gate. We were obviously asked to turn around. I didn't know what had happened until seeing it in the paper. On the one hand, I'm really glad I'm not the one who found the guy, but on the other hand if we had left 20 minutes earlier maybe there could have been a better outcome. But, as was posted previously, could've would've and should've won't do anyone any good. It just sucks to hear that something like this had to happen.

My girlfriend's father made a good point though when we were trying to think of why someone would want to do that there of all places: If you really want to off yourself, and be reasonably certain you won't be seen (and therefore not recieve medical attention ASAP), in a twisted way it makes sense because if you hear gunshots near a shooting club, you think nothing of it, whereas if you hear them in a residential neighborhood it would be out of the ordinary and if there's a chance of your survival, you might be more likely to recieve medical attention sooner.

Regardless... sad to hear it happened.

I have mixed feelings about suicide.

Sometimes its not such a horrible thing. You can't tell an elderly man who's wife is dying, has no family and has lost his physical abilities that life is worth continuing. If he chooses to end his own life on his own terms, that is his choice and perhaps he would be happier that way.

On the other hand it's hard to see a 16 year old suffering from depression do the same thing.

Either way it doesn't look good for the rest of us, but I doubt the guy was thinking about that at the time.

Sometimes its not such a horrible thing. You can't tell an elderly man who's wife is dying, has no family and has lost his physical abilities that life is worth continuing. If he chooses to end his own life on his own terms, that is his choice and perhaps he would be happier that way.

On the other hand it's hard to see a 16 year old suffering from depression do the same thing.
I have sympathy for those they left behind, and for them as well -- clearly they had to be in a great deal of pain to decide that this was the solution. But I haven't walked in their shoes, so I'm not going to say that their life was worth living (or not).

Rob87...In response to your Question "I wonder if there was any significance for him to kill himself there.
" I have a little Morbid Humor Response - A Shamefull Response- in fact.... I think He got Tired of Waiting for the completion of the 600 Yd Range Sorry, I have to play the cards that are dealt.

Rob87...In response to your Question "I wonder if there was any significance for him to kill himself there.
" I have a little Morbid Humor Response - A Shamefull Response- in fact.... I think He got Tired of Waiting for the completion of the 600 Yd Range Sorry, I have to play the cards that are dealt.
You really are a jerk. You have no sense of propriety, and this is not the first example of it.

Seriously guys...in my experience the family usually goes online and will end up seing this so let's keep it respectful.

If the guy had no family and no friends then he probably wanted to be found shortly afterwards. At home he'd probaby be there for weeks before someone found him. If he went somewhere private it could be a long time before anyone missed him. If he went to the woods animals would have found him. He probably figured the friends he had at the club would understand and forgive him for his final time at the range.

People ask why people take risks when they are young, like ride motorcycles, jump out of planes, or climb mountains. People ask me why I don't want to wear a helmet when I ride my Harley. It is just because of this. I don't want to be old and living in a nursing home regretting all the things I wanted to do but didn't. Live every day to the max.

I can't comment on this man's life but it seems he met the end on his terms. It may be the only life choice he's been able to make on his own for a long time.

I hope his soul finds peace.

Here is the comment posted in the second link from the OP:

It's MAINER MIKE BROWN, and this article makes me think of this story.

"Gary" was an elderly man who had a happy life for the most part. Until he became elderly, that is.

Gary began having physical problems, many of his friends had passed away, and his wife was in a nursing home, as she had Alzhiemer's disease.

Gary began obsessing about how the good old days, in his mind, were so much better, and felt his future looked bleak. 'Getting old is no good' became his most common saying.

Finally, he had enough. He had thought of suicide for the past year, and with life only getting worse in his opinion, decided to end his life with a gun.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I, for one, think it's pretty sad that the guy's life comes down to that. May he rest in peace.

Swampy, You are right with " If the guy had no family and no friends then he probably wanted to be found shortly afterwards. At home he'd probaby be there for weeks before someone found him. If he went somewhere private it could be a long time before anyone missed him."

I had a "Sudden Death" last week, probably gone for weeks, mail stacked up for weeks...It wasn't pretty. Thats why you need the "Gallows Humor" Hey 1911 "Lighten Up Francis"

Edit: Oh ya! I forgot...a Guy Off's himself in an area with residential houses (just out side both Gates), jeopardizes a Gun Clubs Existence? ... And We should RESPECT HIM and HIS LIFE? We should see it for what it is...Darwinism and a Sad End... Happens everyday folks...

Last edited:
This is just another Example of Self-Learning:

There are Mentally Deficient People all around US. There are Alcohol and Drug induced People all around US. There are People "Waiting to Snap" around US. There are Criminals all around US. Is this surprising? or alarmist? I don't think so. Acknowledge it and Adjust Fire accordingly.

We drive our children to School..because they can't walk the couple blocks, without Hazard? We have Schools with no door handles...and We must be "Buzzed" in. We have Amber Alerts that get broadcast nationwide? We have adopted this posture and others ...because there is SOMEONE waiting to prey upon our Person, our Relatives, our Wallet and our General well-being.

Lets be thankfull, this guy didn't jump off a bridge overpass and impale himself on your daughter's car windshield, as she talked on the cell-phone driving to school. I'm glad he didn't drive his car thru the neighborhood day care building or load up his rental truck with a fertilizer bomb.

In this case , Sad - Yes, Respect - No

If the guy had no family and no friends then he probably wanted to be found shortly afterwards. At home he'd probaby be there for weeks before someone found him.

That happened to a guy down the street from me a few months ago. Shot himself in the head - sat there for two weeks before anyone found him.

Think the reporting on this is pretty bad. Both articles say he was found outside the entrance of the club, but the article in the Nashua paper says in a later paragraph that the club has a gun range which is where he was found. Not sure if that is just a poorly written way of saying he was found outside of a place that had a gun range or if he was found on the gun range. Also, just wondering, was he a member of the club? Sad either way, and condolences to any family members.

Back
Top Bottom