Pellet rifles in Massachusetts

Just as stated above,
Can I legally shoot at A nuisance(s) around my bird feeders within 500 ft Of a dwelling and public street without SWAT showing up with a Air powered pellet rifle?[mg] Neighbor taking pics I can tell where this is going

Last edited:
I use a blowgun with blunt stun darts, not enough to knock them out but to get them off the feeder, although I don't think the bear that knocked my feeder down last night would have noticed
I use a 22, 223 or a 12 gauge, depending on the varmint. I also don’t feed the birds, but they still love my yard.

Don’t ask, don’t tell. <—the one good thing slick Willy did.
This. All kinds of questions wrapped up in the OP's original question. Air rifle is not a firearm (I presume your back yard is not on school grounds - grin).
I'll see if I can find the chapter and section, but I think that is only allowed if they are eating your crops/vegetables, not bird feeders.

Dave
This too. Also depends on "pest", as many have hunting seasons and "removal" or "extermination" requires licensing (in some cases an appropriate hunting license in season, in other cases a wildlife control license). Also, seasons differ by zone within MA - "inside 495" suggests zone 10(?) which is one of the most restrictive. Then appropriate ammo requirements for specific sizes of "pests". Etc., etc., etc. Welcome to MA! So:
Don’t ask, don’t tell. <—the one good thing slick Willy did.
This again!!![laugh2]

In Medford, the penalty is the same as shooting a firearm.
and no it is not a firearm. No powder no big bang. Dieseling an airgun still doesn't make it one. it is an AIR gun. Not directed to you.

Neighbor taking pics I can tell where this is going
Well there’s your problem. Sounds like you already blew it. If nobody sees it, and nobody hears it, it never happened. Make a scene and, well, I guess you can tell where that goes.

Hell, my wife would get all bent out of shape if I shot a cute fuzzy little critter right in front of her. The solution? I don’t shoot cute and fuzzy little critters right in front of her.

I wait till she goes inside before…

1625016175141.gif

All sorts of stuff to consider
Local Town BS
Hunting Regs
Animal cruelty stuff
When it comes to mass , they can turn that “pellet” rifle into s firearm, rifle, handgun
Would it hold up in court?

My biggest worry would be a “poaching” charge if it were, say a squirrel shot out of season. Chipmunks on the other hand are good to “hunt” year round.

LOL looks like they are advertising the Super Colibri for shooting hummingbirds. I have a few boxes and didn't notice the bird. I wonder what is the season for hummers?

"Colibri" is the word for "hummingbird" in Romance languages and "Kolibri" is the German word for hummingbird. The word for hummingbird has been associated with quiet and small ammo (subsonics) for quite some time:

2mm Kolibri - Wikipedia

Kolibri was also the operation name for the Night of the Long Knives. Unrelated, but interesting.

No. It's entrapment. You put food out. Let them eat.
This. I never understood people's hatred of squirrels on a bird feeder. My wife has bird feeders. The squirrels get on em....so what? When the squirrel is on it he's knocking seeds on the ground and the birds are there eating right there under him. Squirrel leaves.....birds fly up to the feeder. What's the problem?

Let em eat.

Just as stated above,
Can I legally shoot at A nuisance(s) around my bird feeders within 500 ft Of a dwelling and public street without SWAT showing up with a Air powered pellet rifle?[mg] Neighbor taking pics I can tell where this is going
What's the nuisance animal?

Back
Top Bottom