• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Penalties for not filing an FA10

Back in the day of the BLUE CARD Transfer, I always thought it was the SELLERS responsibility to fill out the card, give you a reciept, and mail the info to the state. Ok, now you,ve lost the reciept from 30+ years ago, and possibly the SELLER never mailed it in. Another reason where the SYSTEM is all f***ed up..........Because it was supposed to be the same way with the paper FA10's also. Its my belief this is one of the reasons that the state did away with paper and went electronic.........just my opinion, anyway.......

Back in the day of the BLUE CARD Transfer, I always thought it was the SELLERS responsibility to fill out the card, give you a reciept, and mail the info to the state. Ok, now you,ve lost the reciept from 30+ years ago, and possibly the SELLER never mailed it in. Another reason where the SYSTEM is all f***ed up..........Because it was supposed to be the same way with the paper FA10's also. Its my belief this is one of the reasons that the state did away with paper and went electronic.........just my opinion, anyway.......

The law still puts the burden of reporting the transaction on the seller.

Unless there is no seller (a build) or or the seller is out of state.

The NES legal team should correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK you can't use a borrowed gun for self defense.

If it's a "foreign" gun (actual owner is NOT in your state of residence) you can only use it for "sporting purposes". I've never heard of anyone ever being convicted for that, but it's "there" in US code.

I don't believe this is an issue for same-state. EG, say you have a brother and you both live in MA and have LTCs, he wants to borrow one of your handguns to carry for something more suitable for a period of time, that is legal.

-Mike

AFAIK, there was no "receipt" that was required, or supplied with the blue card. Back in the Blue Card days, I'd have the seller fill out the card, give hm the bucks, take the toy, and that was that.

so lets say you forgot to FA10 gun and "registered" at a later point.

lets say you buy a rifle in kittery ME while on vacation come home and 5 days have gone by. You then get home unpack and put everything away including the gun. life gets in the way and several weeks/months go by before you even think about FA10 or even shooting it? what then. Do you register still ?

lets say you buy a rifle in kittery ME while on vacation come home and 5 days have gone by. You then get home unpack and put everything away including the gun. life gets in the way and several weeks/months go by before you even think about FA10 or even shooting it? what then. Do you register still ?

That's where you engage the services of a professional shark.

I think, if you want to register it, you just brought it into the state.

Officer....I bought the rifle in maine and it has been at my uncle's house for a few years......I just brought it into mass yesterday.:rolleyes:

If you’re in a situation where you have to explain why a rifle wasn’t fa10’d, the rifle not being fa10’d is probably the very least of your worries.

Back
Top Bottom