• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania NR license

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just started working for a PA based company, will be spending a bunch of time out here south of Pittsburgh.

Does anyone know if the application process for a NR license is as simple as it seems?

Have permit from home state
Visit Sheriff
Fill out form, prints and photo
Pay money
Wait a maximum of 45 days.

Actually, it's even simpler if you do it right.

You better call the county sheriff's office where you plan to apply for one to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Not all counties will issue a permit to a non-resident, so do your research and call them first. Many here get theirs from Lackawanna County. Mine is from Jefferson County--the county courthouse is right off of I-80 in Brookville. My parents live south of Pittsburgh, and I prefer taking I-80 to I-79 to get there.

It's an in-person process, so you have to actually go to the sheriff's office and apply, get your picture taken, and they will issue the license on the spot. It cost $20, and depending on how busy the Sheriff's office is it can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 2-ish hours.

When I got mine, I stopped off while they were having their office Christmas party. I spent about 10 minutes filling out the paperwork and another 5 minutes getting photographed and waiting on Harrisburg to issue a license number. The nice lady who called it in even apologized for how long it was taking them to come back with the number. She was flabbergasted to find out it took 12 weeks to get my MA license.

Actually, it's even simpler if you do it right.

You better call the county sheriff's office where you plan to apply for one to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Not all counties will issue a permit to a non-resident, so do your research and call them first. Many here get theirs from Lackawanna County. Mine is from Jefferson County--the county courthouse is right off of I-80 in Brookville. My parents live south of Pittsburgh, and I prefer taking I-80 to I-79 to get there.

It's an in-person process, so you have to actually go to the sheriff's office and apply, get your picture taken, and they will issue the license on the spot. It cost $20, and depending on how busy the Sheriff's office is it can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 2-ish hours.

When I got mine, I stopped off while they were having their office Christmas party. I spent about 10 minutes filling out the paperwork and another 5 minutes getting photographed and waiting on Harrisburg to issue a license number. The nice lady who called it in even apologized for how long it was taking them to come back with the number. She was flabbergasted to find out it took 12 weeks to get my MA license.

Fayette County is where I plan on applying, what I can find is promising.

If anyone has more information, I would be glad to hear it.

Fayette County is where I plan on applying, what I can find is promising.

If anyone has more information, I would be glad to hear it.

Give the county sheriff's office a call and ask. If they say yes, that's all you need and you're good to go. Fayette's pretty rural, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Allegheny and Washington Counties won't issue to non-residents though.

Honestly, there's nothing to worry about with this process. PA is nothing like Mass; there's no interrogation or suitability worries. If you can pass a NICS check you're going to get a license.

Centre County, original via mail when the law allowed. Renewed in person took 20 minutes and $20. Very nice folks. Centre County, PA - Official Website - Sheriff

They changed sheriffs, but I think the new one is still pro-2A and will issue NR (obviously call to make sure, a renewal isn't the same as issuing a new license). The Sheriff's office in Bellefonte is also located convenient to I-80, or I-99 if you're taking the diagonal route down to the turnpike.

Might even be a faster process than Fayette. Centre is basically farm land, a couple small towns, and State College.

can a non-resident carry in the counties that won't issue a nr license? wondering aloud whats the point of not issuing a nr when it can be had by wondering in to the next county to get it.

can a non-resident carry in the counties that won't issue a nr license? wondering aloud whats the point of not issuing a nr when it can be had by wondering in to the next county to get it.

Absolutely you can. PA has state preemption laws in place, so there are no local laws trying to restrict firearms ownership or carry. A license issued in one county is good state-wide, and you even get reciprocity with a bunch of other states.

I think it's just a control thing. Sheriffs and county government flexing their muscles since they can't deny residents. License is shall issue.

You can open carry with no license everywhere except for "cities of the first class," which only applies to Philthydelphia. There you need an PA LTCF to open carry, and it's in the state laws, so if Pittsburgh or Harrisburg ever grew large enough then those cities would also be covered. I wouldn't recommend open carry, but it's not illegal. This becomes confusing if you're hunting, though, as there are some game laws about concealed and open carrying while hunting if you don't have an LTCF. Basically you can carry a revolver of suitable caliber if it's in season, so no carry without an LTCF while bow hunting.

There are also no shitty alcohol consumption issues like in MA. You can carry in a bar and have a drink or two if you want. I don't recommend that, either, since guns and booze don't mix well.

A PA non-resident license is a state license good throughout the state regardless of which county issues it.

You could get a NH out of state license. It has reciprocity with PA so you can carry in PA with it. It also removes some gofy exceptions to NH's constitutional carry law. If I recall, you can't carry on a snowmobile or ATV in NH without a NH license.

Just get your New Hampshire nonresident license. It's less of a hassle, you can do it by mail and it's excepted in PA. I have family that we visit regularly.

Just get your New Hampshire nonresident license. It's less of a hassle, you can do it by mail and it's excepted in PA. I have family that we visit regularly.

PA waffles back and forth on NH. Last I checked they accept it again, but two years ago they didn't. This could change at any time depending on the whim of the PA State Police.

You get essentially the same reciprocity from other states with a PA license and is actually easier and far cheaper than the NH license. You save $80, and if you're going to be there anyway if you pick the right county it's 15 minutes or less to get a license issued and printed on the spot.

NH is good for preventing a few strange exceptions to CC when carrying up there. Same thing with Maine. But if you're going to carry in PA with any regularity, or carry while hunting there, spend the $20 and get the PA LTCF.

Do not stop and apply for the license in Pike or Monroe County.The sheriffs will not issue to non res, I think because of the huge number of applicants from NY/NJ, or so the rumor mill says.
Lackawanna FTW. And yes, it's mind boggling how normal things are around here regarding firearms.

Last edited:
You can open carry with no license everywhere except for "cities of the first class," which only applies to Philthydelphia. There you need an PA LTCF to open carry, and it's in the state laws, so if Pittsburgh or Harrisburg ever grew large enough then those cities would also be covered. I wouldn't recommend open carry, but it's not illegal.
Philadumpia, as an entity, is effectively more anti gun than most of MA is. They only even issue licenses to people that live there because they are forced by law. Even if you're licensed there's no f***ing way I would OC there. Its definitely a "fly low and below the radar" kind of deal.

-Mike

Philadumpia, as an entity, is effectively more anti gun than most of MA is. They only even issue licenses to people that live there because they are forced by law. Even if you're licensed there's no f***ing way I would OC there. Its definitely a "fly low and below the radar" kind of deal.

-Mike

Basically yes. I personally avoid that shithole at all costs.

Darkside, just a comment about getting to PA. Consider avoiding going through NJ. They are so anti-gun that there have been cases where, despite FOPA, travelers were jammed up on firearms charges just to make life hard on them. They got off, but only after a ton of time and money.

I can't remember where I read the above, but the article suggested printing and carrying this page from the New Jersey State Police site that describes NJ's requirements for following FOPA and passing through the state. It might keep an ignorant and over-enthusiastic trooper from following through with an arrest.

One more thing. Hollow point ammo is sort of illegal in NJ. "Sportsmen" can only possess and transport it under very narrow conditions described here on the NJSP site: directly from home to range or field, etc. It doesn't seem clear to me that NJ thinks FOPA protects you from travelling through NJ with hollow point self-defense ammo like 9mm.

I just bumped this thread asking about transporting hollow points through NJ. In the post above mine some poor guy travelling from ME to TX got jammed up on a bunch of charges, one that stuck was "illegal possession of hollow point bullets".

Darkside, just a comment about getting to PA. Consider avoiding going through NJ. They are so anti-gun that there have been cases where, despite FOPA, travelers were jammed up on firearms charges just to make life hard on them. They got off, but only after a ton of time and money.

I can't remember where I read the above, but the article suggested printing and carrying this page from the New Jersey State Police site that describes NJ's requirements for following FOPA and passing through the state. It might keep an ignorant and over-enthusiastic trooper from following through with an arrest.

One more thing. Hollow point ammo is sort of illegal in NJ. "Sportsmen" can only possess and transport it under very narrow conditions described here on the NJSP site: directly from home to range or field, etc. It doesn't seem clear to me that NJ thinks FOPA protects you from travelling through NJ with hollow point self-defense ammo like 9mm.

I just bumped this thread asking about transporting hollow points through NJ. In the post above mine some poor guy travelling from ME to TX got jammed up on a bunch of charges, one that stuck was "illegal possession of hollow point bullets".

I fly most of the time, rarely drive here.

I fly most of the time, rarely drive here.
And if the plane puts down in NY/NJ, do NOT touch your suitcase containing a gun or you are guaranteed to be arrested and convicted. One guy did 3 yrs in NJ prison on his way from West Coast to W. PA due to missing a connecting flight in NJ to PA.

And if the plane puts down in NY/NJ, do NOT touch your suitcase containing a gun or you are guaranteed to be arrested and convicted. One guy did 3 yrs in NJ prison on his way from West Coast to W. PA due to missing a connecting flight in NJ to PA.

Been there before.

Flight from Denver to Boston, diverted to Newark, was given the option of waiting 36 hours for a new flight or driving home.

They wanted me to take my luggage. I refused because one was my rifle case, so I made United deliver them to me.

Good advice. And I never, ever, book a NJ or NY connection if I will be flying with a firearm!

I know, but you eliminate most of your risk by booking through places like ATL or DFW rather than JFK or EWR.

There is no risk, just don't take possession of your checked guns if you get stuck there, make it the airline's problem. (darksideblues / LenS have the right idea).

-Mike

There is no risk, just don't take possession of your checked guns if you get stuck there, make it the airline's problem. (darksideblues / LenS have the right idea).

-Mike
I guess this means don't put a handgun in a checked locking hard suitcase with your toothbrush and underwear. [laugh]

I went to Lancaster county sheriff's office at 9am on a weekday. Walked in. Filled out the application. Gave a copy of my Ma LTC. Took a picture. Gave $25. Waited 10 minutes. The clerk walked over. Appologized for the 10 minute wait and handed me my unrestricted concealed LTC

I went to Lancaster county sheriff's office at 9am on a weekday. Walked in. Filled out the application. Gave a copy of my Ma LTC. Took a picture. Gave $25. Waited 10 minutes. The clerk walked over. Appologized for the 10 minute wait and handed me my unrestricted concealed LTC
Same experience. Everyone was talking about how long the wait was because so many people were applying, but it was still only half an hour or so between getting there and leaving with a permit

They changed sheriffs, but I think the new one is still pro-2A and will issue NR (obviously call to make sure, a renewal isn't the same as issuing a new license). The Sheriff's office in Bellefonte is also located convenient to I-80, or I-99 if you're taking the diagonal route down to the turnpike.

Might even be a faster process than Fayette. Centre is basically farm land, a couple small towns, and State College.
No change in stands on being pro 2A, I emailed and asked before I went, in and out the door in 20 minutes for two people, I was renew and my friend was first time application
Original was with Sheriff Nu who retired, and renewal was with current Sheriff Sampsel.

I got mine in Berks County, at the Reading airport substation. $20.00, and took 10 minutes. Some counties have the application on line as a fillable PDF. Fill it out, print it, bring it with you. They were more interested in seeing my DL than my LTC.

They print out the license right there and hand it to you.

Most counties will not mail them out.

Back
Top Bottom