• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

People Who Conceal Full Size Handguns

(1) Increased capacity
(2) Increased weight = better recoil mitigation
(3) Longer sight radius; or, better options for optic mounting
(4) Increased familiarity usually
(5) People carrying larger handguns are usually not as concerned about printing or being outed

Barrel length also isn't determinative of what constitutes a full-sized handgun. G17s only have 4.45" barrels yet are largely considered to be full-sized handguns. Same with the Browning High Power, which has a 4 5/8" barrel.

I get that I mentioned a 5" barrel and I know the G17 isn't. But that's why I compared it to a G45 and a commander. Aren't they both full-size frame shorter barrel? So same controls etc and no difference in mounting an optic. I guess extra weight for recoil is nice but to lug it around all day every day for that 1/1000000 chance you need it?

I’m 5’7”, 140 on a fat day and make a full size 1911 disappear on a 30” waist.
True story, ask around. It’s all in the holster.

I'm short and skinny like this. G19 conceals fine enough IWB appendix to even wear a T shirt with minimal printing. Would be fine with a G17 in a sweatshirt, but would start to get uncomfortable sitting with appendix (sucks being short). I'm thinking a full sized 1911 might actually be easier to conceal because it is skinnier than a G19. I find the width of a gun to be the hard part to position so it doesn't print rather than the grip length. As long as you can keep the piece tight to your body, the grip profile disappears.

I'm 6'5. 280. Pretty easy to conceal. Maybe you could do that.
This is really the way to go. I’m 6’6” 275, I can just toss a 1911 in my back pocket.

It helps to be 60 pounds overweight. I could conceal an AR if I wanted to.
Not to mention when you’re that fat no one looks at you or even wants to look at you.
They actually pretend like you’re not even there.
So being overweight I guess it does have its advantages in a few things.

Smart Carry groin holster also works really well.
You just have to wear loose fitting jeans which is what fat people wear anyways.
Trust me, there’s not a person on this planet that would ever look in the direction
of a fat person’s groin. You could easily stash an AR and several extra magazines
in that location and no one would ever know it.
Funny. The truth is though, nobody is looking anyway.

This answer to the original question of the best way to carry a full-size is to just go ahead and carry it. Don’t worry so much about hiding it, just be somewhat reasonable and you’re fine.

The vast majority of people are completely oblivious, and 75% of the remainder who actually pay attention won’t do anything more than take note (because wgaf?). The remaining, extremely small minority, can go f themselves. You have a permit (and a gun), and their opinion is worthless.

What really matters is being comfortable carrying it. The more you carry, and the more holsters you try until you find the right one for you (which no one can say but you) the better you’ll conceal it. 3/4 of the battle in carrying concealed is YOU not noticing it, because if you don’t, chances are no one else will either.

I will say a gun belt is a must though. Especially with a heavier gun. Aside from that, any other input I might give is worthless. What is comfortable and practical for one guy doesn’t mean jack to a guy who weighs 10 pounds less/more and spends their day doing different stuff.

I guess what I am saying is, go out and piss your money away on holsters like everyone else who really carries does. There ain’t no way around it. Plus, it will bring a little joy to those of us who have been through it picturing you squirming uncomfortably and plucking at your shirt until you have put in your time.

ETA: Geesh, that one kind of got away from me. I need to get a life...

I put on an extra 40lbs of belly fat then had a Dr do liposuction in the shape of my Glock so it is recessed into my belly, what sucks is now that I have switched to sigs it doesn't fit as well.

Seriously stop worrying, the sheep don't notice, hell most people don't notice unless they have some training or your carrying under spandex
No kidding. I've gotten away with awful printing

Did the full size carry for a long while.

Full size usp 9mm
Full size beretta 92/96
And the most recent HK 45 with flashlight.

The 45 was a bit uncomfy just due to the numerous amount of movements that particular day. Another day it was fine.

All appendix carry inside the waistband.
5'11 173 lbs.

Just got my first carry/compact size gun the other day. Sig M18

Full-size carry requires full-size operators.

You think anyone at the Pizza Hut buffet
is staring lingering stares at this guy to see if he's printing?
tenor.gif

Good stuff everyone. Had a baby and whatnot, so sorry to return to the thread so late. I took Wilson911’s advice and just concealed it. 👍🏼 It hasn’t jumped out of the holster to attack anyone yet.

congrats on the baby. protip: diaper bags are great for concealing ar pistols

Not full-size, per se, but I've appendix-carried my G30 fat boy to pediatrician's appointments without anyone noticing. Whenever I do that I remember all the times someone has asked me "what are you afraid will happen at the mall/theater/grocery/pharmacy/etc" and how my answer has always been "well, I have to get there somehow" and it makes me chuckle.

Good stuff everyone. Had a baby and whatnot, so sorry to return to the thread so late. I took Wilson911’s advice and just concealed it. 👍🏼 It hasn’t jumped out of the holster to attack anyone yet.

You had a baby? First of all congrats. Secondly, a car seat or stroller is perfect at concealing even the biggest full size handgun.

Not full-size, per se, but I've appendix-carried my G30 fat boy to pediatrician's appointments without anyone noticing. Whenever I do that I remember all the times someone has asked me "what are you afraid will happen at the mall/theater/grocery/pharmacy/etc" and how my answer has always been "well, I have to get there somehow" and it makes me chuckle.
How'd you get through the turn your head and cough?

Back
Top Bottom