People Who Conceal Full Size Handguns

Pulled a search on here and didn’t see any threads that covered this, so here goes.

How do you people who carry full size make it concealable? I’m getting awfully tempted by a G45, 19X, or G17, and want to know what holsters or belts you guys use to make it work. Been reading around for recommendations, but I want to hear from people who actually have experience carrying full size, specifically appendix.

Thanks for the input & roasting in advance.

I wear a vest. Not only will it conceal a large frame handgun, I can sweep it with my strong hand which leaves my support hand available. Much more reliable than lifting a cover garment while drawing.

My carry guns is M&P9 M2 with extended 23-round mag

Pulled a search on here and didn’t see any threads that covered this, so here goes.

How do you people who carry full size make it concealable? I’m getting awfully tempted by a G45, 19X, or G17, and want to know what holsters or belts you guys use to make it work. Been reading around for recommendations, but I want to hear from people who actually have experience carrying full size, specifically appendix.

I do it in the winter, hanks belt, holster depends on the gun, usually a jacket of some sort covering the gun or an untucked button down.

Summer? Some people manage with a t-shirt and a short sleeve button down open and untucked over that, but id rather cary a subcompact or pocket at that point.

If I must carry my G17 a Sweatshirt or jacket works best for me carrying on my hip but I also have an under armour style shirt with a pocket on the side under the armpit which works really well with a button down shirt over it but ideally the G19 is better and it’s not 100% comfortable. In summer when it’s too hot I just rock my Shield

It helps to be 60 pounds overweight. I could conceal an AR if I wanted to.
Not to mention when you’re that fat no one looks at you or even wants to look at you.
They actually pretend like you’re not even there.
So being overweight I guess it does have its advantages in a few things.

Smart Carry groin holster also works really well.
You just have to wear loose fitting jeans which is what fat people wear anyways.
Trust me, there’s not a person on this planet that would ever look in the direction
of a fat person’s groin. You could easily stash an AR and several extra magazines
in that location and no one would ever know it.

A full sized 1911 in a horizontal jackass leather shoulder holster in the cooler months .
Not practical when it's hot and muggy so I settle for a mouse gun (Beretta .25 ) in an IWB that a tee shirt will cover fine.

Dress classy and the excuse for wearing a vest will hide your IBW at the belt line. Short sleeve silk shirts and vests in the summer to keep cool. Look like James Spader without being a liberal jackass.

2018-New-Tweed-Vest-Men-Vintage-Summer-Winter-Slim-Fit-Groom-s-Wear-Vest-Men-Wedding.jpg
iu

NES Studs are classy & luxurious high rollers no lie.

I carried a Baretta 96D for a couple of years. HnK USP Compact for a decade. I'm currently carrying a Glock 47 (I think it's similar to a 20? full sized anyway.)

If you are really concerned, get an IWB holster to deal with the barrel, the rest is about the same. Grip sizes unless you are talking sub-compact are about the same size.

Being ready to draw it is more being 'condition yellow' than anything else. It's not like you are ever going to draw fast enough if the bad guy already has the drop on you.

5.11 belt, N82 holster at 3 o'clock IWB. Six foot, 220. The full-size autos I regularly carry are a stock Randall 1911 and an Inglis BHP. Both, note, are on the thinner side.

I find the only thing that ever really prints in a way I'm uncomfortable with is the butt, which occasionally protrudes back under my shirt. I fix that by angling the holster forward, which is a million times easier with a 1-clip IWB holster like the N82 than it is with a Crossbreed style holster with two clips.

Of course, those stay angled more securely once set up, but for me, the N82 is far, far more comfortable. I like the ability to adjust it on the fly. I have no experience with appendix carry, OP.

I've been known to IWB a Webley revolver sometimes too, but it's a silly thing to do...

Get a proper leather holster and belt. Mitch Rosen, Wright, Tucker, Mernicle.. etc etc. Dont be like the rest of NES that buys a $850 glock and carries it with a phucking $60 crossbreed or sticky holster.

I AIWB full size pistols

G17
G31
beretta M9A1
occasionally a P229 in 357 sig

in each case I use a JM custom kydex AIWB holster. No wing. I also wear a mag carrier at 11 o’clock which helps balance things out on the belt. for TLR1 equipped G17 I use a Henry holsters flint. I am 5’11” and 220 lbs proving that AIWB has little to do with being thin and everything with correct gear, belt and some practice.

sorry to sound like a prick but 95% of the carry advice here is junk holsters or straight up crap. Pistol forum has a knowledgeable user base.

OP, if your committed to appendix carry then just make sure you get a appendix specific holster, they are not the same as regular 3-5:00 IWB holsters. In my opinion some of the best out there are JM custom, darkstar gear, and the CCC shaggy. These guys make dedicated appendix holsters.

G17 carried it for a few years till I went to a G26 which in today's standards is a "large sub compact" lol. But I iwb carried around the 3 o'clock area, it covered up great when I went to X-large T-shirts and tried to find longer ones like the Dickeys brand. They seemed to be longer but not wider in the chest/shoulder area.

If you really think about it with Glocks, its only an inch less in the barrel and hand grip area between a fullframe and sub compact, they are the same chunky double stack mag well and same thickness in the slide area, its really an inch in either direction that makes it "sub compact".

Back
Top Bottom