market.

I use their 75 gn .223 TAP-FPD load for my AR. I keep a couple
of 30 rnd mags filled with the stuff.

-Mike

.38 Nyclad +P in the 442.
.25 Glaser in the Colt jr
.40 Hydrashock in the G23
.45 Silvertip in the G30

only because that's what I happened to buy at the time. In the .25, I figured the Glaser was the best choice.

I've stocked up on the 9mm HP WWB 115g. I wanted to run a bunch of carry ammo through a couple of guns prior to trusting it and it just isn't practical to do with the premium stuff. I like the idea of being able to shoot what is in my guns without worrying about my bank account.

Plus, I read an article about the Winchester USA WWB ammo being almost identical (in ballistics) to the Silvertip ammo they sell at a huge premium - without the silver color of course.

I've stocked up on the 9mm HP WWB 115g. I wanted to run a bunch of carry ammo through a couple of guns prior to trusting it and it just isn't practical to do with the premium stuff. I like the idea of being able to shoot what is in my guns without worrying about my bank account.

Plus, I read an article about the Winchester USA WWB ammo being almost identical (in ballistics) to the Silvertip ammo they sell at a huge premium - without the silver color of course.

This stuff is awesome. You can get 50 boxes of the 115g HP for $11.99. Great to see if hollow points cycle through a certain gun for short money!

115 gr is too light in 9mm, IMO. Most of the tests around 115 gr
9mm have bad results compared to their 124 and 147 gr
counterparts. Most of the 115 gr 9mm loads either don't expand
fully or don't penetrate far enough.

There is a Winchester "USA9JHP2" 147 gr. load which (was) about $10 for 50
rounds, It's a 147 gn JHP that tests well. I bought some of it
on a lark once, although it seemed a bit less ferocious than other
ammo, it functioned fine in the Sig P226 I was testing it in.

-Mike

115 gr is too light in 9mm, IMO. Most of the tests around 115 gr
9mm have bad results compared to their 124 and 147 gr
counterparts. Most of the 115 gr 9mm loads either don't expand
fully or don't penetrate far enough.

There is a Winchester "USA9JHP2" 147 gr. load which (was) about $10 for 50
rounds, It's a 147 gn JHP that tests well. I bought some of it
on a lark once, although it seemed a bit less ferocious than other
ammo, it functioned fine in the Sig P226 I was testing it in.

-Mike

I thought the same about the 115. I believe I read that the 115 expanded better than the 147 because of the increase in velocity (1225 vs. 950). The faster it is going the more likely it is to expand, so they preached. So I went with the 115. I do wish there was a 124.
WalMart sells the 147 and Dicks sells the 115 but neither sell both.
Over penetration is a concern of mine. Especially since these are in my HD gun with kids and thin walls.

Right now I'm looking around for a low flash cartridge, to reduce loss of night vision if I ever fire at night. I'm pretty sure Hydra-Shock has that quality, but I want to check the rest of the market as well.

American Handgunner did an article on this a couple of issues ago. They only tested a few JHPs, but here are the ones that had "no muzzle flash": Winchester 115gr, Hansen 115gr, and Federal HST/JHP 124gr had a very small flash.

I use Cor-Bon for my carry ammo.

For those of you using the Corbon DPX - are there any dealers in eastern / central Mass that keep it in stock? I have read a lot of good reviews on DPX at the Stoppingpower.net forums.

Currently using Speer Gold Dot 124g +p 9mm and Nyclad .38 spec +p

For those of you using the Corbon DPX - are there any dealers in eastern / central Mass that keep it in stock? I have read a lot of good reviews on DPX at the Stoppingpower.net forums.

I see it at Match Shot firearms in Gardner. They usually have
Cor-Bon stuff in stock. If they don't have the loading you're looking
for, they can probably get it for you.

-Mike

.38 Nyclad +P in the 442.
.25 Glaser in the Colt jr
.40 Hydrashock in the G23
.45 Silvertip in the G30

only because that's what I happened to buy at the time. In the .25, I figured the Glaser was the best choice.

Why would you use hollow points or fragibles in a .25? A .25 already doesn't have enough penetration without adding hollow points to the mix.

Golden Sabers

185 gr. Remington Golden Saber JHP 45 ACP.

*Brass jacket, not copper.
*Serious knock down and serious penetration.
*Controllable in my AMT 45 Backup as well as the full size 45 that I carry.

* Pain in the @ss to get the brass out of the rifling ... (Just my experience)

In what firearm? I've used tons of Golden Sabre stuff, including
the "nuclear" 185+P load, and have never had that problem... in
numerous guns. I had a source for awhile of the stuff at $10 a
box, but its dried up.

-Mike

Interesting. I used it in my S&W CS45 (185gr +p) and I fought with
fouling, and never had any trouble with copper. Perhaps the way the
rifling was cut? Either way, I loved the load.

F

I figure if I have to fire the .25 it's going to be within 10ft of my target. I'd rather have the Glaser than ball ammo for the smaller cal. Thye .25 hollow pts provide no expansion at all, at least the frangible has 'something' to it.

Back
Top Bottom