Personal Training Session Sept 13, 2012

I arranged a PTS to improve my target shooting with a S&W 1911 Pro Series 3" barrel .45 ACP. The session was for one hour. Prior to the session, I was typically shooting about a 6" group with a flyer or two out of 7 shots from 25 feet. The obvious goal was to improve this as much as possible.

Prior to the session, I had put about 1500 rounds through this weapon. I had also fired a Remington R1 with about 600 rounds through that one. I rate my level of experience shooting with pistols as beginner.

To prepare for the session I shot 5 targets the day before, putting 14 rounds into each target and brought that with me so the instructor could see what I had been doing.

We began by his asking me what I thought I needed help with. I explained that I had never been formally trained, only knew what I had picked up reading and talking to others and was not sure if any of that information was correct and was there to learn, not compare notes.

He worked on my grip. We got that straightened out and saw results almost immediately. The difference in my grip was very subtle, but what he showed me, produced results. After that, what was important is that he watched every shot and let me know what was causing the bullet to be off the mark when it was. He paid attention to breathing, grip of the hands, anticipation, etc.

We got the grouping down to about 3 inches very quickly and then worked on practicing it, which was quite challenging (old habits die hard). Of course I had occasional flyers.

Simply put, this is the best I have ever shot a pistol! I now know what I am supposed to be doing. It is the best money I have spent. The way I see it, I could have spent a lot more money on ammunition and still not have achieved this goal and become frustrated and come to the conclusion that a 6" group was the best I could ever do.

Buying a gun and ammo is one thing, practicing is another, but getting professional training REALLY helps.

I can higly recommend Mass Firearms School to anyone wanting to "take their shooting up a notch".

This is the 2nd class I have taken from them, both have been excellent.

I was gonna ask where this was but you listed it. is that the one in Attleboro? how much was the PTS? i could use something like this im sure

Very nice! Who was your instructor? Give him some props! MFS is a great place, nothing but positive experiences there for me.

I am very pleased with the MFS facilities and trainers. I just completed my second class (low light shooting) on Wednesday night and will be going back for more.

Back
Top Bottom