• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Perun x16 new possible 5.56 coming that could be useful in MA

Looks interesting. But if it's a $3,000 boutique rifle or like Kel-Tec's various unobtanium rifles due to low production, effectively a unicorn.

it still uses the AR15 's trigger group, and extractor / bolt so i guess it is still a copycat? because it is 2 evil features.. lol

Now for the human sacrifice...

Perun - Wikipedia

According to the 12th-century Russian Primary Chronicle, prisoners of war were sacrificed to the supreme Slavic deity Perun. Sacrifices to pagan gods, along with paganism itself, were banned after the Baptism of Rus' by Prince Vladimir I in the 980s.

Human sacrifice - Wikipedia

ck2-5.jpg

Looks like all you have to do is butcher one of your lowers and your good to go, so not unobtanium, unless the upper is ridiculous monies.
Buy the upper as complete i think.?

Im not seeing the benefit here, what am i missing? Where is the innovation?

Last edited:
For me, the real question is: "Where are all the innovative firearms designers and engineers?"

We should have so many available alternatives to the AR15, that Healey's head would explode.

I want more light, durable, cost-effective mag-fed battle rifles chambered in 5.56mm and 7.62mm that use existing AR/M14 magazines...

For me, the real question is: "Where are all the innovative firearms designers and engineers?"

We should have so many available alternatives to the AR15, that Healey's head would explode.

I want more light, durable, cost-effective mag-fed battle rifles chambered in 5.56mm and 7.62mm that use existing AR/M14 magazines...

There is only so much you can do with the firearms technology we have.
The problem with new innovation is that it comes with a price, a price most people won't pay.
People were always of the "simple works" belief. Now people want crazy new technology but refuse to pay for it.
You cant have it both ways.

The problem is simple, the costs to deliver that are enormous compared to selling a COTS rifle. You also can't strip weight without going to DI. DI gas = AR. Most companies don't want to reinvent the wheel.... particularly when most buyers are going to scoff at anything $1500+ and anything beyond 2k is off the table for anything but the top tier of buyers... where there's tons of options already. This backs a manufacturer into a corner.

The other problem is AR etc are ubiquitous. If the manufacturer goes under joe smoe can still fix the gun. Same can't be said in other cases.

-Mike

It is very hard to compete with the economy of scale in the AR market. Many major companies are now making an AR at the $600 price point, and in many cases they go for less on sale. And while those are all entry level guns, for the most part they are entirely serviceable. Overall, the value per dollar in AR rifles is pretty amazing, and the competition keeps prices low and quality high.

So if you want to compete in the rifle market, would you try to compete with Smith and Ruger at $600, or with the next level rifles from every company at $1200. Or would it be easier to compete with LMT, Noveske and LWRC at the next level above that?

And if you do sell a different rifle design, people have concerns about long term maintainability that they don't have with the AR platform. And that may limit the perceived value of the platform.

So unfortunately for us in Massachusetts, there are market reasons driving consolidation.

Love it. Lets hope there are enough FFLs that are knowledgeable of the laws to bring this type of firearm on to the MA market.

Tooling for large scale production is expensive and distributors don't want to take a risk buying inventory that might not sell and become spare parts unobtanium. Look at Sig's 556/SCM series in the US. Hudson Manufacturing's H9, etc.

It costs a lot of money to prototype new designs too, so unless there's a lot of cash to be made no one is going to sink the R&D costs on top of the tooling costs for mass manufacturing.

Even the AR15 wasn't that customizable until post 2004 when the AWB went away and the market opened up enough for consumer spending to fund a renaissance of small arms and accessories development.

No, I understand why, I just wish there was a new age of firearms design, led by a Modern day Browning, Colt, Kalashnikov or Stoner...
Thanks for the great replies all.
~Matt

Also, the Perun X16 upper in the OP's post does look very innovative. If they made a proprietary lower that would attach to the upper using the AR footprint, but be uniquely different, it may be able to pass the AG's smell test on clones.

I do like the upper...

Last edited:
No, I understand why, I just wish there was a new age of firearms design, led by a Modern day Browning, Colt, Kalashnikov or Stoner...
Thanks for the great replies all.
~Matt

Also, the Perun X16 upper in the OP's post does look very innovative. If they made a proprietary lower that would attach to the upper using the AR footprint, but be uniquely different, it may be able to pass the AG's smell test on clones.

I do like the upper...

InRange + Forgotten Weapons gets this question a lot in their Q&As. The next big leap in gun technology will be advancing beyond smokeless powder brass cartridges into something else. Once you have that, you'll see the next "Le Maitre."

Keep in mind that the Great Ones were in the right place at the right time. Sam Colt started designing revolvers when interchangeable parts became a possibility as America began really expanding west and needed a reliable, multi-shot handgun. Johann Nicolaus von Dreyse - similar situation, the right idea (a bolt action rifle) at the right time (unification of Germany). JMB's career started right at the cusp of the switch from black powder to smokeless. Hiram Maxim sold the ability to mow down one's adversaries at long range when Europeans were carving up Africa and Asia. Mikhail Kalashnikov: new advances in steel stampings. Eugene Stoner: plastic and aluminum.

We need a fundamental change in how we conceptualize the gun before we see another spurt of JMB-like creativity. To that end, we're going to need a fundamental change in society or the geopolitical scene.

Looks like all you have to do is butcher one of your lowers and your good to go, so not unobtanium, unless the upper is ridiculous monies.
Buy the upper as complete i think.?

Im not seeing the benefit here, what am i missing? Where is the innovation?
hey there sir. i know this has nothing to do with this post. i am new. but i saw that you had an lwrc quad rail for sale not to long ago. are you still selling it?? thanks let me know please

Interesting looking platform. Anyone familiar with the manufacturer? My only concern (aside from what it cost) would be long term parts availability.

Interesting looking platform. Anyone familiar with the manufacturer? My only concern (aside from what it cost) would be long term parts availability.
Ian talks about that a bit in the video I posted today. In short, it's a new, small, foreign manufacturer; they made most of the wearing elements (barrel, bolt, firing pin, etc.) AR parts so they could be replaced in the future. Even the lower could probably be remanufactured from an AR lower if needed.

Back
Top Bottom