• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Petition to Amend LEOSA for C.O's

No offense, but we you not aware of the dangers of the job when you chose that career path? Is there a reason you do not try to become police officers? Next armored car drivers will want to carry everywhere because they carry while working.

As a "correctional officer" are you not teaching the inmates that they're there because of mistakes in judgment THEY made.

YOU didn't put them behind bars. They put themselves there, by their own actions and deeds.

If you're only a "guard" to them, then be the best, nicest damned guard you can be. These guys should get out of jail and look you up so they can buy you a beer to thank them for helping put them on the road to success in life.

If they're just putting in the time while you're just watching over them, and they get out to commit the same crimes as before, then the prison system isn't doing its job. Are you a "guard?" Or a "corrections officer?" What is it you're "correcting" if they want to kill you?

If the prisoners come out looking to gun YOU down for something YOU did, then there's probably a good reason for that. Karma's a meanspirited bitch. Treat them well. Be part of the solution, and not part of their problematic world.

EVERYONE should have the same perks provided by LEOSA. Creating different classes of people -- the haves versus those who have not and can not -- is what creates the problems.

That's why the convicts get out and are still pissed - because they see you as a "have" while they don't, and can't as a convicted (albeit supposedly reformed) felon.

Law-abiding gun owners who aren't "allowed" the same perks as cops, have the same perception, albeit without the apparent desire to gun you down for it.

/flame suit on.

very true. Like you said. There are some inmates Iv dealt with for my entire carrer so far... only 3 years.. but theyve been there the whole time, they say whats up to me when they see me on the block, they wont try and f*ck with me. But like you also said there are people just doing there time, doing life on the installment plan 2 or 3 years at a time. and no matter what you do there still going to flood out, throw shit at you, call you a p*ssy, all that. And the system is flawed ill be the first to admit it. To be honest though you should see the house of corrections i work at it.. its a day camp. we have so many programs for these guys its outrageous. Cullinary class, they complete it with a certificate of completion and can get jobs working in restuaraunts ect. A print shop, they learn how to use photo shop, run print machines and work on apple computers. Alcoholics anonymous, narcotics anonymous, anger management, parenting classes, they have jobs working in the kitchen, cleaning, doing trash they all get paid like 30$ a month. Eat french toast for breakfast, pancakes, oatmeal. To be honest there's really no one im to afraid of that is going to hunt me down..there was only one guy who was tuff becuase he was transfering that morning and wanted to run his mouth, we got into a arguement, ended up telling me he would kill me when he see's me out. Do i expect to run into him.. no. But we have had officers who have run into some of these guys who just do time and hold grudges becuase we have had to send them to segragation for something THEY did..had razors, home brew ect. And the inmate looks at it like the officer did it out of spite and they will hold the grudge for no reason. One inmate spit in a officers families food while he was working at a pizza shop, the officer saw the ex inmate working there and watched him do it, told the manager and the inmate got fired. We had one guy get jumped while walking home from a sox game becuase one of these inamtes who hold pointless grudges wanted to "kill a cop" and "show him whats up on the streets". So yes we do face some dangers out there. But so do normal civilians. I am 100% for being able to carry in any state we as civilains wish. But its just not going to happen. So obviously I am a supporter of the LEOSA act. I am a deputy sheriff, with arrest powers, fully qualified to my departments standards and all that stuff. Im not trying to say that I dont think we as civilians shouldn't be able to carry country wide, cause i think we should, so dont think im trying to say im better than anyone. I am not a liberal, I hate Obama, coakley, patrick as much as the next guy believe me! And I guess im just trying to justify the LEOSA in general, I guess I would sum it up with.. is a LEO at greater danger than a normal civilian walking on the street? Ummm maybe a little, the only way that would come to be true is if a ex con recongizes you as that pig who put him away and wants to start a problem. But at the same time, that civilian could be walking and that same con see's a easy target. The only other way it would come to be true is being a LEO, the officer of duty encounters a situation where he must act as a LEO. granted any good CCW holder would do the same thing IE armed robbery, rape, car jacking . The only difference is the LEO makes a arrest. So it would really all even out in the end. Keep the LEOSA but also let all civilians who are LTC A holders carry in any state they want! MA has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and we go through hoops just to obtain are right to bear arms. As oppose to other states who are free and can just carry if they want. How can we as MA residents not carry in said states? If we indeed have a harder process to be able to carry a firearm? It makes no sense. So is the story of Massachusetts i guess..

Bottom line non LEOs will never understand our position on defending LEOSA. Like I have said before I believe all Americans SHOULD be allowed to carry anywhere in this country the realization is it will prob never happen. Gun control issues differ so much state to state it's a long shot. The govt. has allowed it's leosa to carry anywhere while some don't agree it really is a Good thing. Just my opinion...

"Be the nicest damned guard you can".....wow that line kills me! Punks will always be punks, and punks in jail get treated like punks......you don;t back down from a bully....be it in the streets or behind bars....,if they find you in the street someday, you need to be armed and ready

Last edited:
If the prisoners come out looking to gun YOU down for something YOU did, then there's probably a good reason for that. Karma's a meanspirited bitch. Treat them well. Be part of the solution, and not part of their problematic world.

/flame suit on.

I can't even begin to describe how much dumber I feel after reading your post.

Its equivalent to saying that the children who are victims of rape somehow forced the rapists hand in the act...

A little threadcromancy here, but shouldn't we be supporting everyone to have this right? Not sure where the argument in this thread is, apart from the fact that online petitions are, on the effectiveness scale, somewhere between wishing really hard and holding your breath until it gets done.

They extended LEOSA specifically to military police officers last year, including reserve and National Guard MPs (although the "ID card" aspect is still a bit sticky, as DoD is refusing to issue ID cards that identify you as an MP) and I think that's great - more people carrying legally will lead to a "normalization," and that's good for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom