• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant opener next w/e 10/19

DJBrad

NES Member
Plan on all Saturday in fields and forest edges. Since they are not endemic how do they work this type of habitat? Coyote opens same time and of course they themselves may get their fair share of pheasant to eat.

Certainly I’m going to hit the 3+ stock per week areas.

Lol

My first time so I’ll go just for kicks.

Questions for the experienced in regulations:
Pheasants “can” be hunted on all WMA’s. Does it say anywhere in CMR 321 that they “cannot” be hunted outside a WMA?

If your hunting without a dog...

Cross cross back and forth across the fields of high vegetation. Keep your eyes open and be ready......the hens will wait till you almost step on them to flush.....and it will scare the shit out of you lol

If your hunting without a dog...

Cross cross back and forth across the fields of high vegetation. Keep your eyes open and be ready......the hens will wait till you almost step on them to flush.....and it will scare the shit out of you lol
This was my plan. I’ve been through a lot of fields this past month with some weeds and grass almost taller than me. Thanks to Permethrin.
Last year a gobbler jumped me doing this. I almost soiled myself.

Also last year I found the remains of a pheasant in an open DCR field so I know they don’t stay contained in the WMA’s.

I go later in the morning or afternoon, even on non-opening day. My dog(s) can cover a fair amount of ground in a short time so the chance of interfering with others is possible.

DJ what zone are you in?

I go later in the morning or afternoon, even on non-opening day. My dog(s) can cover a fair amount of ground in a short time so the chance of interfering with others is possible.

DJ what zone are you in?
9 bro

Likely do a warm up pheasant/chuckar hunt with my son this coming week at Addieville.

Ill be at the local club in Central MA on Saturday, we will do well there.

Then hit WMAand local town covers later in the week, as its less crowded. I have to be careful because the 6 bird season limit isnt hard to reach. Im not going to bother with busy times on WMA as I have a good dog that covers ground.

The shorthair already has been keen on Woodcock most of this week, as it started the 3rd.

Last edited:
Also last year I found the remains of a pheasant in an open DCR field so I know they don’t stay contained in the WMA’s.

Many central MA towns have separate covers that they stock, local sportsman clubs raise birds and add to this if they do not have private cover. . The state also does not generally stock 3 times a week. Usually its once, on big places maybe twice.

Our club does 1 per week. I had forgotten about that by not scrolling down the stocking stats on the ma.gov page.

Back
Top Bottom