• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pick a Rifle, Any Rifle

I had a sinking feeling that something bad was going to happen, so I BOUGHT an M82a1 in May, so it's not fair to apply it to 'pick a rifle'.

It's still pretty freaking awesome.

If I had my choice, an M134, but the ammo for it would require a mortgage.

Realistically, I'd like to set up the AR I was building before 7-20 with FLIR or a Gen III NV optic, but that's on hold until I can recover from the Barrett purchase AND buy glass for it.

I've been thinning the herd for a couple years now. Every time I take a look at what I have the first one into the "never" pile is my Steyr AUG. Not the most accurate. Not the lightest. But the ergo's are so good for me I can't see ever giving it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I REALLY want one of these. And since based on M1, should be MH legal as far as I can tell, using chicken bones and slaughtering a goat over my magic 8 ball to get an answer, lol. Doesn't share parts, not interchangable, and M1 was on the list....

The only thing that is currently holding me back is the $$$

What do you think about the SOCOM vs the Scout Squad?

Is there a range in the commiewealth that allows fitty? I know Granby's new 1,000 yard range does not.

Based on what logic?

I mean, it's a 1000 yards... Not a whole hell of a lot is getting out there, at all, without a skilled shooter.

Yea, Barrett 50 here too, only because I'm unimaginitive and don't know a lot of cool guns......One of those German WW2 Machine guns on a tripod would be nice, what where those called?

Based on what logic?

I mean, it's a 1000 yards... Not a whole hell of a lot is getting out there, at all, without a skilled shooter.

I don't understand this.

I shoot .223 at 1,000 yards no problem. A fitty is just starting to stretch its legs at 1,000 but there are plenty of options in smaller calibers for that distance.

ETA are you asking under what logical conditions that Granby does not allow fitty? That would be because skipping a 750 grain bullet off granite at 1,000 yards could put it in the next county and since there are houses within a mile... Half inch holes in someone's roof is bad mojo.

Last edited:
I don't understand this.

I shoot .223 at 1,000 yards no problem. A fitty is just starting to stretch its legs at 1,000 but there are plenty of options in smaller calibers for that distance.

ETA are you asking under what logical conditions that Granby does not allow fitty? That would be because skipping a 750 grain bullet off granite at 1,000 yards could put it in the next county and since there are houses within a mile... Half inch holes in someone's roof is bad mojo.

Okay, that makes sense, why they say no then...

My comment was more concerned with the latter than the former, that skilled shooters should be the only ones on that range, and less about caliber implications. I belong to Pelham, and anything past 100 yards you need to qualify, which is basically showing people you aren't a putz that will be shooting a 45apc out to 200 yards, or bouncing into the next town over etc. I assumed any club with a 1000 range would require a fair amount of "proving one's self" to set up and shoot on it.

Okay, that makes sense, why they say no then...

My comment was more concerned with the latter than the former, that skilled shooters should be the only ones on that range, and less about caliber implications. I belong to Pelham, and anything past 100 yards you need to qualify, which is basically showing people you aren't a putz that will be shooting a 45apc out to 200 yards, or bouncing into the next town over etc. I assumed any club with a 1000 range would require a fair amount of "proving one's self" to set up and shoot on it.

Yes there is an involved qualifying process for shooting over 400 yards at Granby. The problem with fitty is that it is mostly anti-material rather than precision but they did extend the caliber limitations to anything over .338 and I happen to agree. I agree because I like the range , there isn't another option like it, and I am willing to accept reasonable limitations on caliber in exchange to shoot however I want at a really long distance.

The thing with shooting that far is that a lot of factors come into play that don't normally play a noticeable part in ballistics: Wind, temperature, humidity, air pressure, hell the rotation of the earth plays a factor. In particular, the wind can be very variable +/- 10-15 MPH in multiple directions and that can cause you to miss especially when the wind changes just as you release the shot. A .223 90 grain bullet takes 1.76 seconds to travel 1,015 yards at a terminal velocity around 1200 FPS and a 10 mph tailwind moves it +/- 1 MIL. At 1,000 yards a .224 bullet is pretty much done (265 ft-#). Fitty still has quite a bit of energy at 1,000 yards (1800 fps/almost 6000 ft-#) and if a miss hits a good chunk of granite (of which there are many), it could travel quite a distance further. Misses happen.

Ruger precision in 308 (though creedmore if I reloaded and had deeper pockets). Or a savage 110 left hand volt

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

This is like looking at a stack of Playboys and asking which broad you want. My head would explode. Name a gun, any gun, and I want it. Hell, if I had a chauchat I'd be in heaven.

Mosin Nagant

1144541_03_1_crate_20_of_mosin_nagant_all_640.jpg

But they are just too rare....

Back
Top Bottom