Pics or it didnt happen, right?

It's a tough market out there for us newly crowned LTC A holders, but through sheer determination I was able to make my 1st purchases. The SR22 for target and the PPS 9mm for EDC.

Now I just need to find something to feed 'em[mg]

img4938m.jpg

img4941c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm looking for a pocket pistol myself. Originaly wanted a bodyguard but have heard alot of bad things about them. The PPS looks pretty small, what you consider it a pocket pistol?

If those are Hornady Critical defense, you might have a feeding issue with the PPS. I've experienced it and it's basically a known issue with the pistol.

ETA: congrats on the purchases!

If those are Hornady Critical defense, you might have a feeding issue with the PPS. I've experienced it and it's basically a known issue with the pistol.

exactly my thoughts When you rack the slide to chamber a round it pushes the next round in the magazine too far forwards in the mag to be able to feed properly. I have the same gun and use Federal Hydra shoks 147 gr +p. You need the extra oomph in the short barrel to allow the bullet to expand.

I appreciate all the replies and compliments. So gassed up about my new found hobby![smile]

Very nice! I'm looking for a pocket pistol myself. Originaly wanted a bodyguard but have heard alot of bad things about them. The PPS looks pretty small, what you consider it a pocket pistol?

Well, I am probably not qualified to answer this question being a complete newb to the PPS and in firearms in general, but my guess would be it wouldn't be ideal for pocket carry. It is extremely slim (Police Pistol Slim) and doesnt weigh a whole lot (approx 26 oz fully loaded w/ 6 round mag) but I think there are better choices for pocket carry.

Now swap the mass disconnector on the pps for the standard and you will live the trigger pull more

I have read that this is a must have upgrade. I have not shot this pistol yet....but when dry firing it, it really doesn't seem that hard to pull to me. Now again, I am new to firearms so I have no basis for comparison. Perhaps I will think differently when I actually get the chance to a put a few rounds down range?

Agreed. I hear Walther is hard to track down though. But swapping this is a must if it has the MA trigger.

It definitely has the MA trigger as the disconnector is stamped "H" (Heavy).

Damn it! That 1 must've slipped by me. I really thought I did my due dilliginece in regards to research on this pistol prior to purchase and don't recall reading anything about that. They are Hornady but they are Critical Duty, not the Critical Defense. Should I still be expecting FTF issues?

I like the looks of the PPS. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

From what I understand, this little pistol is supposed to be great shooter. Amazingly accurate for a sub-compact with minimal recoil.....but we shall see.

...and I totally agree - I love the looks of this gun.

exactly my thoughts When you rack the slide to chamber a round it pushes the next round in the magazine too far forwards in the mag to be able to feed properly. I have the same gun and use Federal Hydra shoks 147 gr +p. You need the extra oomph in the short barrel to allow the bullet to expand.

[sad2]

i carry a pps everyday.. its not s pocket pistol :nless you have on cargo pants Really it is very thin... i ran 50 hydro shocks through it when i got it ran prefect i carry those.... only have had one failure in likely 1000 rounds was in a new shooters hands belive it was limp wristing.... two great guns! congrats!

PPS 9MM, great choice. You'll of course want to do the S disconnector mod right away. The pistol is night and day different in terms of accuracy once you get that silly old H disconnector out.
You'll also want tritium night sights, amazon has them for $100. Yes it has great accuracy, but it is a tight tolerance pistol. You'll want to polish the feed ramp, the pistol is finicky with ammo. Suggest running 500-1000 rounds through it (or so) to get a feel for it. Trust me, the last thing you want is for it to jam up on you when you really need it.
Not affiliated, but King 33 Live Fire Pistol Basic training is a perfect place to do so.

Last edited:
Hate to admit this but I got crackin up when I first saw the pics..................On first glance I thought those were tampons running through the trigger guards. LMAO. Nice buys my friend.

Also, the pistol is susceptible to limp wristing, specifically, the last two failures mentioned below FTF and FTE. Though some claim that they have experienced failure to return to battery.
It's not a 1911, so when firing, hold the damn pistol, just don't go overboard with a death grip, which will cause you to hit low and to the left.

How limp wristing can cause a failure to cycle

Depending on the operating mechanism, there are a number of places that limp wristing can cause a failure to cycle. Recoil operated firearms are more susceptible to failure of this type than blowback and gas-operated firearms, and lightweight polymer framed handguns are more susceptible than heavy steel framed handguns. When there is not enough energy to move the slide back far enough relative to the frame to cycle the action, it is called limp wristing. When there is too much energy in moving the slide back relative to the frame, it is called slide slam.

In blowback and gas operated firearms, the slide reacts against the frame pushing the frame forward slightly against the recoil of the bullet leaving. In recoil operated firearms, the slide reacts against the bullet, and the frame is under no force at the time of firing. As the slide begins to recoil to the rear some of that energy is transmitted to the frame through the locking mechanism (in locked breech designs) and the recoil spring. This transmitted energy accelerates the frame to the rear as well. If the frame is not sufficiently restrained by its mass and the shooter's grip, the frame will "catch up" to the slide, and the recoil spring will not be fully compressed, and the slide will return forward under less than the designed force.

One common result of limp wristing is a failure to eject, as the slide will be moving too slowly at the point where the ejector is activated. The slow moving case will be caught as the slide closes, resulting in a stovepipe jam. These jams can be easily dealt with by knocking the used brass out of the way with the side of your hand or closed fist. The other common result of limp wristing is a failure to return to battery; the slide will be moving too slowly to move the new cartridge fully into the chamber, so the slide will stop partially open. The least common form of failure is a failure to feed, where the slide returns to battery on an empty chamber, because the slide moved back just far enough to eject the fired cartridge, but not enough to strip the next round from the magazine.

I've never had a failure to eject with the pistol. The only issue was FTF with the hornady ammo. I believe has something to do with the conical shape of the bullet, or maybe even the plastic tip. I'm not sure.

Besides the one box of the hornady stuff that I had to load one round at a time to get rid of, I've put 1100 rounds through it with no failures. It's an excellent pistol and I carry it every day loaded with Spear Gold Dots.

Yes, don't buy too much of the Hornady Critical defense before you test it. I found it wouldn't feed also!

Oh, careful when you change a magazine quickly, don't pinch your palm! (ask me how I know to give this advice).

Enjoy!

Yes, don't buy too much of the Hornady Critical defense before you test it. I found it wouldn't feed also!

Oh, careful when you change a magazine quickly, don't pinch your palm! (ask me how I know to give this advice).

Enjoy!

been there done that too [crying]

Back
Top Bottom