Pigs are flying, the Devil is ice skating, and I Finally bought a GLOCK!

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I've fought this for 25 years and broke down today and bought a Glock 17.

I hope they are as good as all you people have said they are. I'm stacking my 50 years collection of steel and wood against this "plastic" gun thing.

I knew it was gong to happen sooner or later. in 2009 I bought a Kahr PM9 as my first "plastic" pistil. Today I was going to pick up a new Kahr .380, and while my pusher/dealer was doing some paperwork, I saw a Mass legal Glock 17 sitting there with a Glock 19, both asking for new homes. SI felt myself weakening. I put the Kahr in my car and told junkie pusher man to go ahead, do the paperwork on the glock 17.

So here I sit with a new Kahr .380 and a Glock 17, and it just started to snow again.

Guess I'm on my way to the indoor range at Taunton. Pictures to follow. **[smile]

taggart, I don't know how to tell generation. It's not a 4 and it doesn't have replaceable backstraps. Must be 3d. How do I tell?

taggart, I don't know how to tell generation. It's not a 4 and it doesn't have replaceable backstraps. Must be 3d. How do I tell?

The texture, thickness of grip, and a larger recoil spring are the major differences of 3rd to 4th.

Everything 3rd gen and up have finger grooves as well, that would be a dead giveaway

In general a 3rd gen has finger grooves. The 2nd gen does not.
A 4th gen has swappable back straps.

It may take some getting used to if you're coming from all metal.
Try never cleaning it or oiling it.

1-2nd GEN plain grip + no rails
3rd GEN has finger grooves + light / lazer / bayonet [devil2] groove.
4th GEN :

The smallest back strap is integrated in the GLOCK MBS Frame reducing the trigger distance of the standard size frame by 2 mm. The medium back strap is a 2 mm back strap offering equal size of a standard frame. The large back strap is a 4 mm back strap.

The magazine release catch of the Gen4 is reversible and enlarged. The reversible magazine allows users to switch the catch to the left or right side of the pistol with no additional parts.

Additionally, the Gen4 has a new Rough Textured Frame (Gen4 RTF) surface designed to enhance grip traction and is present on the frame as well as the interchangeable back straps.

Internally, the original recoil spring has been replaced with a dual recoil spring assembly. The dual recoil spring assembly noticeably reduces the recoil while simultaneously increasing the life cycle of the assembly.

The Gen 3 will have finger grooves and rail, Gen 2 will not. What they call Gen 2.5 will have grooves and no rail.

Gen 4 is the new one with the straps and all, and some other supposed improvements.... I may pick one up with tax return money next week.

Shoot it like you stole it..........

Last edited:
In general a 3rd gen has finger grooves. The 2nd gen does not.
A 4th gen has swappable back straps.

It may take some getting used to if you're coming from all metal.
Try never cleaning it or oiling it.

Don't know how serious to take that buddy!!! *S* I have a lot to learn about Glocks. (Makes my magazine collection relevent again.)

Don't know how serious to take that buddy!!! *S* I have a lot to learn about Glocks. (Makes my magazine collection relevent again.)

Heh. Just clean occasionally, shoot only jacketed rounds, and do the minimal lube per the manual. It really doesn't take much to keep it running very happily.

The texture, thickness of grip, and a larger recoil spring are the major differences of 3rd to 4th.

Everything 3rd gen and up have finger grooves as well, that would be a dead giveaway

Actually 2.5 and up have the finger grooves.

ETA: 2.5 Gen -> pebbled grip, striped backstrap, finger groves but NO rail. And they are serious don't clean it and use minimal lube per Glock's instructions. I cleaned mine when new and haven't cleaned it since.. never misses a beat.

Last edited:
True, but, if I recall correctly, there were no Gen 2.5 Glock 17s made for US sale, if there were even any made other than as photo models for Glock ads.

I have a Gen 2.5 17, 30 and 36. I'll take pic's and post them.

ETA: Sorry! Just checked the 17 in the safe and it's a Gen 3, it has the rails. I could have swore it was a Gen 2.5. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 4th gen glock 19 for my first glock and I love it. Alot lighter and more comfortable to carry than my sig p229, and it shoots great.

Derek, I knew I could count on you.

Do you think the handgrenade reputation on this forum for Glock migh be because you people don't clean them???

It's amazing to see Jose defending a tupperware gun owner.

Free Willie, I'd like to do that some time.

Back
Top Bottom