Pigs in a muddy Pond

9X21

Banned
I think that depends on the shooter, some go for the competition, to see how they rank overall in a bigger pond. But a lot go for the experience of shooting great stages, wanting to shoot elaborate stages that you wouldn't see locally

5 of the 6 short stages were essentially the same last year and the field stage were mostly 8 shots, move, 8 shots. Other than the BBQ stage, targets were only available from 1 location.

Per the rule book, me thinks...
unlike some of your well thought out stage designs................my LIE bound buddy
(in this case, LIE means Long Island Expessway for you MASS folks)

PS
Do you think the big Stage two of your Monson class belongs at any match? at least it was 32 rounds.........
The rest of us poor folks paid good money so you guys could have your graduation match.

Last edited:
Per the rule book, me thinks...
unlike some of your well thought out stage designs................my LIE bound buddy
( LIE means Long Island Expessway for you MASS folks)

PS
Do you think the big Stage two of your Monson class belongs at any match? at least it was 32 rounds.........
The rest of us poor folks paid good money so you guys could have your graduation match.

1.2.1.3 says can not require. But you can have more if they are also available from other locations and you certainly can have less.
Running port to port in a congo line is not freestyle.

Nothing about my stage your are referring to forced you to shoot more that 8 shots from one location, if people choose not to shoot on the move coming in, then they would have to do a standing reload. I admit it was not a good stage and probably wasn't much fun for shooters other than Open, but then again, who is going to have more fun than Open shooters?
Manville stages will never be as good as they could be. with all the restriction placed on us, its very difficult to design something different. But this year with the new walls we have come up with some good stages.

Stage 2 at Monson was a legal stage. it was a fun stage with different ways to shoot it. so Yes I think it belongs at a match. Would I want to shoot many stages with 1 round per target a lot, No. but it was a stage that had speed, shooting on the move and choices, what more could you want?

I thought Monson put on a good match and would have been worth the drive and cost even if I wasn't there for the class. But I got to tell you, the class made it awesome... we spent the rest of the day shooting those stage all different ways, quite the learning experience [grin]

Last edited:
1.2.1.3 says can not require. But you can have more if they are also available from other locations and you certainly can have less.
Running port to port in a congo line is not freestyle.

Nothing about my stage your are referring to forced you to shoot more that 8 shots from one location, if people choose not to shoot on the move coming in, then they would have to do a standing reload. I admit it was not a good stage and probably wasn't much fun for shooters other than Open, but then again, who is going to have more fun than Open shooters?
Manville stages will never be as good as they could be. with all the restriction placed on us, its very difficult to design something different. But this year with the new walls we have come up with some good stages.

Stage 2 at Monson was a legal stage. it was a fun stage with different ways to shoot it. so Yes I think it belongs at a match. Would I want to shoot many stages with 1 round per target a lot, No. but it was a stage that had speed, shooting on the move and choices, what more could you want?

I thought Monson put on a good match and would have been worth the drive and cost even if I wasn't there for the class. But I got to tell you, the class made it awesome... we spent the rest of the day shooting those stage all different ways, quite the learning experience [grin]

Never said it was not legal, It was a more of a drill to use what you had been learning...
The A 7 stages are all legal, people just don't seem to like them for whatever the reason.
For me, it's about getting to shoot against a larger group of shooters in my class, many better shooters (many more M's & GM's) and seeing how I do.
Then of course there is beer[cheers]

Last edited:
When are you signing up? Your partner in crime will need someone there to calm him down.
Johnny will be just fine….though I may call him before the match start to make sure he’s “ready” [smile]
Don’t count me out yet, I’m still trying to finagle (is that a word ??) a way to go,
so many matches to shoot and soooo little money.

Easiest way to say it Dave is engage the paper and reload as necessary///// Perform a mandatory reload and engage steel reload as necessary.
There is a classifier that is run the same way, don't remember which one but it always required 8 shots, mandatory reload, 8 shots. If you haven't registered, shoot open [grin]

Exactly why I brought it up Gary, if the same RO’s are runing the stage for the whole
match then it’s doubtful there will be a problem. You and I both know from the past that
that classifier is run differently in other parts of the country !
And shoot Open [shocked] real men shoot wheel guns [wink]
(present company excluded of course, your still a real man in my book even if you shoot a flat gun)

Did someone suggest beer[cheers]
Shooting of course ........is always fun [mg]

Yes Massman, there will be BEER [cheers]

Rob,
in this case it was what you & your group paid to be taught & learn, not the rest of the match participants.
Keep it real there little buddy.
Since you stated Manny set up the stages, the rest of us got to pay for the graduations without the benifit of the teachings...........
I will admit, I did shoot Saturday about a 100 rounds in an actual match, How many rounds did you guys shoot on Saturday under instruction?
I am not complaining, but please do not act like you are on a level playing field.
Chance favors the prepared, practice prepares.
We are all as close to a level playing field at major matches as we are likely to get.

Rob,
in this case it was what you & your group paid to be taught & learn, not the rest of the match participants.
Keep it real there little buddy.
Since you stated Manny set up the stages, the rest of us got to pay for the graduations without the benifit of the teachings...........
I will admit, I did shoot Saturday about a 100 rounds in an actual match, How many rounds did you guys shoot on Saturday under instruction?
I am not complaining, but please do not act like you are on a level playing field.
Chance favors the prepared, practice prepares.
We are all as close to a level playing field at major matches as we are likely to get.

The playing field was absolutely level. We did not practice the stages the day before, we practiced skills that we all need to work on, with the benefit of having a top shooter and instructor guiding us. That not cheating, that's not tipping the field, that doing what you can to become the best shooter you can be. We had the upper hand because we trained smarter

The results weren't surprising. (Other than Rob beating me [smile]) Someone from Team bacon wins every local match because we make the effort and sacrifice to be better prepared. Not everyone can or will make the same effort and scarifies, not everyone can win. We're not going to apologize for trying harder than the rest. When we go to the majors, we get beat by shooters that train more, train smarter and sacrifice more than we do. We know where we stand, where we want to go and determine if the effort is worth the reward.

Interesting perspective Mike,
This discussion began on quality of stages,
Everyone has opinions...
A7 stages may be boring for some
The Monson stage 2 was more a drill for than a stage (at least that is my opinion)
I am glad you seem to understand the realationship between practice & performance, sort of....
No one inferred "CHEATING"
No one takes anything away from you Porkers for your efforts,
I am pretty sure I have respected all you as individuals with talent,
way before you became the arrogant jerk you are today & and also Dennys breakfast special.
(humm, I think I let some of you side dishes shoot my pistols, loaned you 170's etc.)
You have had & still have the upper hand because you train;
Hats off to any & all who have time & place to practice their sport,
HOWEVER, having time doesn't make you "smarter",
it probably means you don't have the same responsibilties as some of us other folks do.
You know, a job, kids, kids in college, stuff like that.
you may or may not be "smarter", someone will have to set up an IQ stage at the next match....
No one asked for apologies & none are expected.
Now go practice or do something smart.........................or both
[rofl]

Last edited:
The playing field was absolutely level. We did not practice the stages the day before, we practiced skills that we all need to work on, with the benefit of having a top shooter and instructor guiding us. That not cheating, that's not tipping the field, that doing what you can to become the best shooter you can be. We had the upper hand because we trained smarter

The results weren't surprising. (Other than Rob beating me [smile]) Someone from Team bacon wins every local match because we make the effort and sacrifice to be better prepared. Not everyone can or will make the same effort and scarifies, not everyone can win. We're not going to apologize for trying harder than the rest. When we go to the majors, we get beat by shooters that train more, train smarter and sacrifice more than we do. We know where we stand, where we want to go and determine if the effort is worth the reward.

I normally do not get into these things but that statement is not even close to accurate.

I agree with everything else but had to speak up there.

I normally do not get into these things but that statement is not even close to accurate. I agree with everything else but had to speak up there.

Well. I guess if you aren't there you can't win, but lets look through the matches that Team Bacon was at.
Out of 38 2009-10 matches attended,
32 were won by us,
5 were won be steve, He would be Team Bacon if he wasn't a veggy eating pickle puffer,
1 was one by Mazzota

Well. I guess if you aren't there you can't win, but lets look through the matches that Team Bacon was at.
32 were won by us,
5 were won be steve, He would be Team Bacon if he wasn't a veggy eating pickle puffer,
1 was one by Mazzota

JEEEZ.....I guess the only people competing in USPSA in the NE are open shooters[shocked]

where's the love man [smile]

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion about Area 7 please

32 were won by us,
1 was one by Mazzota

I just had time to look at what matches we have had in 2010 but what about the March AFS match?

Beleive me, I am not taking anything away from you guys as you win the majority of matches and I am sure it is because you bust your ass in practice and no other reason. Just don't use the word ALWAYS, it makes you sound douchy [smile]

HOA is all that matters [smile]

I guess I figured that.....like my ex used to say, "it's always about you" [smile]

Okay, back to Area 7......
where's the coldest beer ? ....
where's the best beer ? .....
where's the best & coldest beer ??......
where's a good place to eat ? .......

I dunno, that's all I can think of [cheers]

I guess I figured that.....like my ex used to say, "it's always about you" [smile]

Okay, back to Area 7......
where's the coldest beer ? ....
where's the best beer ? .....
where's the best & coldest beer ??......
where's a good place to eat ? .......

I dunno, that's all I can think of [cheers]

Forget the food. cold Yuengling at the pool!!!!!

I just had time to look at what matches we have had in 2010 but what about the March AFS match? Beleive me, I am not taking anything away from you guys as you win the majority of matches and I am sure it is because you bust your ass in practice and no other reason. Just don't use the word ALWAYS, it makes you sound douchy [smile]
My bad on that, that was a good win by Allen and he deserves recognition for it.....he's got a lot of talent I passed douchy miles back.
I guess I figured that.....like my ex used to say, "it's always about you" [smile] Okay, back to Area 7...... where's the coldest beer ? .... where's the best beer ? ..... where's the best & coldest beer ??...... where's a good place to eat ? ....... I dunno, that's all I can think of [cheers]
I'll let you guys get back to your beer, I need to get back to my summereve

I normally do not get into these things but that statement is not even close to accurate.

I agree with everything else but had to speak up there.

I have to agree with Jay..."that statement is not even close to accurate"

There have been 23 USPSA Northeast Section matches so far in 2010 - The pigs have won 12.

To make a blanket statement that "Someone from Team bacon wins every local match" is incorrect.

Sure someone from your team usually wins a match that your team attends - (Big fish in the little pond).

I guess my point is that there are alot of good shooters that also train hard and also win matches - don't take that away from them.

Also who really cares?

I do agree "if you aren't there you can't win"

HOA is all that matters

There is a HOA in each division. While local matches report the old style "combined results", they have absolutely no official standing and someone in Open scoring above a shooter in another division on the combined sheet is not considered to have beaten than shooter.

There is a HOA in each division. While local matches report the old style "combined results", they have absolutely no official standing and someone in Open scoring above a shooter in another division on the combined sheet is not considered to have beaten than shooter.
Officially this is correct, but that doesn't mean it is not important. Tell a production shooter that he won his div. then tell him he won HOA. You think the reaction is going to be the same? He can not be proud of the HOA because officially it means nothing?

Officially this is correct, but that doesn't mean it is not important. Tell a production shooter that he won his div. then tell him he won HOA. You think the reaction is going to be the same? He can not be proud of the HOA because officially it means nothing?

He should be proud of turining higher hit factors than open division, however, it does indeed mean nothing from a "results" point of view (but his win in Production does count).

The main motivation for my comment, however, was the concept of an open shooter saying "HOA means nothing".

Sure someone from your team usually wins a match that your team attends - (Big fish in the little pond).

Also who really cares?

"

I think we have local shooters that do well in the bigger ponds. Steve, Matt and Tad have put together some impressive majors, as have you and Dave.

and I think everyone cares, thats why we compete and train.

Last edited:
I think we have local shooters that do well in the bigger ponds. Steve, Matt and Tad have put together some impressive majors, as have you and Dave.

I agree with that last line the most... if we didn't care... why show up at matches???? Why post the scores? Sounds like it would be like U5 soccer. Of course improving is a big motivator but not the only thing that most of us show up for.

I also agree that Mike is douchy... but in a nice way kind of.

Mike,
Agreed - we do have talent here in the NE and many shooters have done well at the National level and at big matches.

I also agree most if not all shooters care how they personally.
Additionally I know every shooter cares how they do in their division.
I was referring to how Team Bacon does with HOA.

On a side note (thread drift..) is that suppose to be a Glock blowing up in your lower avatar?

Mike,

On a side note (thread drift..) is that suppose to be a Glock blowing up in your lower avatar?

It's an image of a TEAM BACON member shooting an IDPA match with an open gun painted all black. He's running away to get concealment.

Back
Top Bottom