• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pilla versus Randolph Ranger?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date

Pilla or Randolph Ranger?

• Pilla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randolph Ranger

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 67409

Title says it all, I'm getting a new set of prescription shooting glasses. I shoot 3-gun/2-gun and I upland and deer hunt.

I have had Ranger XLW's for several years now, and changed out my prescription several times in the insert. I have most of the colors that don't have to be replaced. I did buy a pair of Decot glasses in my most used tint and I do like them. My shooting script is my distance only. As far as Pilla's for glasses, they are above my pay grade, but a friend just bought a pair Non-Script and really likes them. As long as I can see clear, I am happy.

Title says it all, I'm getting a new set of prescription shooting glasses. I shoot 3-gun/2-gun and I upland and deer hunt.
do you need your Rx for all shooting needs? What Rx do you need for shooting?

i ask only because I do not need a Rx for shotgun, trap and say bird hunting since Im not using the sights to aim.
i need a little help to see the front sight on my pistols and rifles.

I hate inserts.
I had custom lens made for my older RE ranger XL
I needed a new Rx and found it harder to find someone to do a custom lens for the RE ranger XL
So I went with decot HyWyd with a +1.0 in my aiming eye. I block off my non aiming eye.

If i where to shoot a action shooting type like 3 gun i would probable go with my daily +1.5 so i can see everything with in 3 feet clearly.

Color I still like a pale yellow Over all for everything.

i have a dark purple for orange clays that really makes them jump out.
that said if pilla made Rx lenses and not inserts i might give them a try as theres nothing in the way like the bridge or nose piece.

do you need your Rx for all shooting needs? What Rx do you need for shooting?

i ask only because I do not need a Rx for shotgun, trap and say bird hunting since Im not using the sights to aim.
i need a little help to see the front sight on my pistols and rifles.

I hate inserts.
I had custom lens made for my older RE ranger XL
I needed a new Rx and found it harder to find someone to do a custom lens for the RE ranger XL
So I went with decot HyWyd with a +1.0 in my aiming eye. I block off my non aiming eye.

If i where to shoot a action shooting type like 3 gun i would probable go with my daily +1.5 so i can see everything with in 3 feet clearly.

Color I still like a pale yellow Over all for everything.

i have a dark purple for orange clays that really makes them jump out.
that said if pilla made Rx lenses and not inserts i might give them a try as theres nothing in the way like the bridge or nose piece.

Yes, I need prescription glasses for both action shooting and shotgunning. Prescription glasses help me identify targets better, whether its birds, clays, or rifle targets. I'm going for an eye exam in January to get an updated prescription.

Yes, I need prescription glasses for both action shooting and shotgunning. Prescription glasses help me identify targets better, whether its birds, clays, or rifle targets. I'm going for an eye exam in January to get an updated prescription.
I highly recommend a eye Dr who knows shooting needs.
Dr Ginsberg of Natick Eye associated really helped me figure out what I needed.

Curious why you guys arent using contact lenses or just laser surgery?

Glasses are easy-on, easy-off. I see fine in normal life without correction in 95% of times. The only times I need glasses are shooting small objects at distance, sometimes driving, and reading small things beyond say ten feet. In the 5% of times, I can just put on a pair of glasses or wing it. Edit: and with shooting, I wear shatterproof lenses, so my eye pro is covered.

Curious why you guys arent using contact lenses or just laser surgery?
Your daily Rx mght not work well for shooting aplications.
For example I need +1.5 for daily use for everything 3' and closer. If i wear +1.5 and look down to the 13" black bull at 200 yards my eyes strain and I get the car sick feeling. So for shooting rifles i need help seeing the sights which for me is +.75 to +1.0 which is just enough to see the sights and down range.
My daughter can not see the rear sight much at all with her Rx and with out the Rx she cant pick up targets down range. This is also why I and my daughter really like aperture style sights you just need to look through it and not focus on it.
Laser .....hell no aint letting them near my eyes until last resort.
I think contacts would be a cool idea , I could pop in +.75s and function all day at the range.

Your daily Rx mght not work well for shooting aplications.
For example I need +1.5 for daily use for everything 3' and closer. If i wear +1.5 and look down to the 13" black bull at 200 yards my eyes strain and I get the car sick feeling. So for shooting rifles i need help seeing the sights which for me is +.75 to +1.0 which is just enough to see the sights and down range.
My daughter can not see the rear sight much at all with her Rx and with out the Rx she cant pick up targets down range. This is also why I and my daughter really like aperture style sights you just need to look through it and not focus on it.
Laser .....hell no aint letting them near my eyes until last resort.
I think contacts would be a cool idea , I could pop in +.75s and function all day at the range.

My problem is distance. Short range stuff like seeing sights isn't a problem. Its seeing small objects beyond say ten yards away. If I was shooting say USPSA pistol or Steel Challenge, my vision isn't an issue.

Got an eye exam last night and my Rx changed a little but not much. I see perfectly fine up close and I have no problems making out sights, beads, etc. Though, I'm trying to use optics like red dots and scopes as much as possible on rifles and pistols that I compete with. With shotgun, glasses are a big help to see the target, not the bead.

I'm getting a new pair of regular glasses in a couple weeks, then I'll go from there. In the mean time, I'm going to look for places where I can try and compare Rx shooting glasses.

Your Dr. should be able to figure out what Rx you need for shooting.
Then its a matter of finding Frames and Rx lenses that can be made for those frames.
For trap shooting I just use my non Rx lenses as Im opposite.
3’ and closer is a blurr.
trap shooting I dont look at the bead. Just focus on the target and follow through

Back
Top Bottom