• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pin/weld muzzle brake job

Al458

NES Member
Any recomendations on where I can get a muzzle brake pinned and welded in the north shore area? Thanks in advance!!

I don't know, but always wondered, could you just smear a little JB Weld on the threads? Isn't the law "permanant"? Does it even say anything about pinning/welding?
I'm curious. I have a barrel that I'm going to do something with at some point.

I used to live in MA. I heard that a friend of a friend drilled a hole in the brake and filled it with electrical solder. Not that I would recommend that, but I heard second hand that it was very easy to remove it once they moved to a free state.

If somebody is trying to force the brake off your rife to make sure the fix was permanent, you've probably made some really bad decisions that aren't related, and the muzzle brake issue will not make much difference. Again, just something I heard somewhere.

+1 for Northeast Arms, route 1 Peabody, right next to the Cabaret.

Don't know the cost, mine was for an AR I was buying there so it was included but everything they've done was reasonable. I bought it, went down the street to Hooters for some cultural enlightenment and chicken wings, came back and it was done.

I don't know, but always wondered, could you just smear a little JB Weld on the threads? Isn't the law "permanant"? Does it even say anything about pinning/welding?
I'm curious. I have a barrel that I'm going to do something with at some point.

MGL doesn't specify what "permanent" means putting it as risk to the AGE/EOPS 'interpretation'. The pin & weld or high temperature solder standard often cited on NES is based on the ATF's published "guidance" during the 1994-2004 federal AWB.

MGL doesn't specify what "permanent" means putting it as risk to the AGE/EOPS 'interpretation'. The pin & weld or high temperature solder standard often cited on NES is based on the ATF's published "guidance" during the 1994-2004 federal AWB.

If it's based on the federal AWB, you better check the Globe for an updated guidance from the AG.

I believe its also been done by drilling a hole and tapping it. thread in a bolt, and cut it off. finish with a file/ sandpaper

I used to live in MA. I heard that a friend of a friend drilled a hole in the brake and filled it with electrical solder. Not that I would recommend that, but I heard second hand that it was very easy to remove it once they moved to a free state.

If somebody is trying to force the brake off your rife to make sure the fix was permanent, you've probably made some really bad decisions that aren't related, and the muzzle brake issue will not make much difference. Again, just something I heard somewhere.

agreed. i've heard the same[rofl]

Shawsheen Firearms in Billerica did a nice job on a pin+weld for me, quick turnaround during the holidays too!

I would go the silver solder route. I think 1100 degrees and sold by Brownells and others. You can do it yourself with an oxy map torch from Home Depot and then can change brakes if you ever desire to do so. Makes removal easier when you get to a free state. I suppose if you expect to be a MA prisoner forever, then can pin and weld. But I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t just silver solder. It’s easy and permitted by ATF. I don’t see MA deciding to jack anyone up on that (even for MA) and as someone said above you got bigger problems if someone is inspecting your brake job.

I would go the silver solder route. I think 1100 degrees and sold by Brownells and others. You can do it yourself with an oxy map torch from Home Depot and then can change brakes if you ever desire to do so. Makes removal easier when you get to a free state. I suppose if you expect to be a MA prisoner forever, then can pin and weld. But I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t just silver solder. It’s easy and permitted by ATF. I don’t see MA deciding to jack anyone up on that (even for MA) and as someone said above you got bigger problems if someone is inspecting your brake job.
Pin and weld done properly doesn't expose the barrel to extreme temperatures - silver brazing raises the muzzle to tempering temperatures for significant time.

Pin and weld done properly doesn't expose the barrel to extreme temperatures - silver brazing raises the muzzle to tempering temperatures for significant time.
In addition most finishes don't like those temps.
I drilled and tapped mine. Threaded it on and used a pointed Allen set screw followed by a quick blast with the tig. Brake could be removed but would be ruined in the process.

Link to above referenced thread,...

Back
Top Bottom