Pinning magazines in VT?

Aren't the 17s ok if already in the state?

Where the law is so new (and not well thought out) I'd be surprised if anyone knew for sure. That being said, if you are really worried and bringing them in, permanently reduced to 15 seems to pass the requirement as written.

DM

Aren't the 17s ok if already in the state?

Where the law is so new (and not well thought out) I'd be surprised if anyone knew for sure. That being said, if you are really worried and bringing them in, permanently reduced to 15 seems to pass the requirement as written.

DM
I'm talking about ordering a new firearm that comes with a 17 round mag, not grandfather'd mags.

Wow I haven't been paying any attention to non=MA gun legislation I guess. When did this pass? I haven't stepped foot in VT in years but I should know this stuff in case I do go up there again.

Searching now...

ETA well that's some worthless, feel-good legislative garbage huh? :/

Last edited:
I'm talking about ordering a new firearm that comes with a 17 round mag, not grandfather'd mags.
How can anyone prove that you didn't have the 17 round mags prior to the ban??? Of course if you have a gun that was made by a company who started up after the ban, then yeah that's easy. Otherwise, I'd ask to have the gun shipped without the 17 round mags (if the dealer/vendor is giving you a hard time shipping to VT), then find someone in a free state who can buy the 17 round mags for you?

I really don't know/understand how VT plans to enforce this.

How can anyone prove that you didn't have the 17 round mags prior to the ban??? Of course if you have a gun that was made by a company who started up after the ban, then yeah that's easy. Otherwise, I'd ask to have the gun shipped without the 17 round mags (if the dealer/vendor is giving you a hard time shipping to VT), then find someone in a free state who can buy the 17 round mags for you?

The 17 round mags come with the gun.

The 17 round mags come with the gun.
Then ask (the dealer or online vendor - not sure where you're buying from) that they don't include the mags. That's what I've done when buying from an out of state dealer. They'll either hold the mags or ship the mags but my local dealer will take them. Then I have to go and buy mags myself...

Seems like it's really just "There. We did something. Happy now?" legislation. Lame.
Now if they had implemented MA-like magazine restrictions, there would be a hell of a lot more pissed off people, I would think. It still blows though.

The only way is if the pistol and mags are new after April 11. He asked this same question last week, the gun is not new since April 11.

See if you can cajole the remote vendor into shipping you the mags separately (eg, not to the FFL with the gun) in two different boxes disassembled. Now you have "replacement parts" and not magazines. [rofl]

Otherwise it's easier to just have them hold it back if they (or the inbounding dealer) is balking.

-Mike

The only way is if the pistol and mags are new after April 11. He asked this same question last week, the gun is not new since April 11.
Yes and no. I created a thread asking about compatible mags that are legal under VT's new laws. Someone mentioned have the mags "converted". I did a lot of searching and made a lot of calls to local FFLs and couldn't find anything on converting magazines except for one out of state online retailer who called it "pinning". This lead to this thread asking (presumably) Vermonters for information specifically about this practice in this state.

See if you can cajole the remote vendor into shipping you the mags separately (eg, not to the FFL with the gun) in two different boxes disassembled. Now you have "replacement parts" and not magazines. [rofl]

Otherwise it's easier to just have them hold it back if they (or the inbounding dealer) is balking.

-Mike
I've managed to find a solution to the ordering issue. I was just curious in the broader sense about this "pinning" thing. So far I've only heard about it online. Everyone else I ask locally looks crossed eyed at me. I wonder if the law is so new here that VT hasn't caught up with the available work arounds.

I've managed to find a solution to the ordering issue. I was just curious in the broader sense about this "pinning" thing. So far I've only heard about it online. Everyone else I ask locally looks crossed eyed at me. I wonder if the law is so new here that VT hasn't caught up with the available work arounds.

The other issue is that it's almost completely unenforceable so it's easy for many to ignore....

-Mike

Yes and no. I created a thread asking about compatible mags that are legal under VT's new laws. Someone mentioned have the mags "converted". I did a lot of searching and made a lot of calls to local FFLs and couldn't find anything on converting magazines except for one out of state online retailer who called it "pinning". This lead to this thread asking (presumably) Vermonters for information specifically about this practice in this state.

Not a VT resident, so I don't want to weigh in on pinned being legal or not, but there are various pinning and blocking methods out there if it turns out to be kosher to pin/block them. One solution would be to buy some of these and epoxy them permanently to the base plates:

www.magazineblocks.com

I’ve owned a home in Warren, VT for 25 years, I know I’m still not a Vermonter by Vermont standards but I spend a lot of time there and deal with the same laws. Like I said last week, these laws are unenforceable, with the exception of a new gun/mag combo after 4/11. I guess it comes down to every persons different tolerance for risk, this is at the “almost none” level.

I’ve owned a home in Warren, VT for 25 years, I know I’m still not a Vermonter by Vermont standards but I spend a lot of time there and deal with the same laws. Like I said last week, these laws are unenforceable, with the exception of a new gun/mag combo after 4/11. I guess it comes down to every persons different tolerance for risk, this is at the “almost none” level.
I'm not asking if it's enforceable. I guess when I asked in the original post if it was legal I sent the thread in the wrong direction. So that's my fault. What I'm trying to ask is if pinning is a thing here because no one I can find in the state of VT has heard of it.

I'm not asking if it's enforceable. I guess when I asked in the original post if it was legal I sent the thread in the wrong direction. So that's my fault. What I'm trying to ask is if pinning is a thing here because no one I can find in the state of VT has heard of it.

I think the point he's trying to make is that it's not a thing because it's not enforceable. [rofl] One hand washes the other....

I have the same question as the OP. I have a residence in VT. and asked about pinned or blocked magazines in a local VT. FFL recently. The owner appeared to be on board with pinned mags and yes he knew what one was. Without guidance from the state who knows. Common sense would dictate that a magazine that holds 15 rounds and no more is a 15 round magazine. But common sense is not all that common. While surfing the net recently I did find a company that makes magazine limiting devices, have to find that again. Did not have the need at that point so did not bookmark the site.

I have the same question as the OP. I have a residence in VT. and asked about pinned or blocked magazines in a local VT. FFL recently. The owner appeared to be on board with pinned mags and yes he knew what one was. Without guidance from the state who knows. Common sense would dictate that a magazine that holds 15 rounds and no more is a 15 round magazine. But common sense is not all that common. While surfing the net recently I did find a company that makes magazine limiting devices, have to find that again. Did not have the need at that point so did not bookmark the site.
I don't think that these are the guys are the ones I used to block the magazines on a Canik down from 18 to 15, but I'll keep looking in my files until I find them. Magazine Blocks

Thanks! I don't think they are the ones I found before either. I haven't had time to seriously look yet for the previous site.

Back
Top Bottom