Pissing off the purists...

Sweeney

NES Member
I acquired a 1795 Springfield Type II from MajSpud and, as I do, completely disassembled it to give it a full health assessment. It was completely fine and serviceable as evidenced by the pumpkins it had laid to waste in the hands of MajSpud.
I did find things I wanted to address; There was an old repair at the wrist to stabilize a crack. A hole had been drilled and a wooden peg glued in. Time passed and the peg now stood proud and the surrounding wood had chipped away, the chips being later filled with putty. Following Murphy's Law, this protruding peg was right where my thumb would rest while taking aim at menacing paper targets and charging, bull pumpkins.
I proceeded to excise the necrotic tissue to below the surface and inlayed a graft. I didn't want to hide the repair so I used what I figured might be an acceptable technique. Hidden under the trigger guard is a 0.250" carbon fiber rod that transects the fracture to add more strength to the repair.

1612190306922.png
Moving on, the screw that clamps the flint didn't look like an original type and was pretty rough. It was also a bit bent and the threads were sloppy. I did a little investigating (looked at a picture) as to the style of screw these used, dug up a chunk of cold rolled steel and made a replacement. Major diameter measured out to +/-0.290" and is a 14 pitch. Once I got it made I case hardened. I didn't want it to look too shiny and new so I didn't expend much effort on the finish. Old screw on the left, value destroying, unholy replacement on the right. While in a case hardening mood I also tidied up the frizzen screw and polished and hardened the frizzen face as the old surface had worn away and was gouged.
1612194593072.png
I think it looks the part...
1612195004693.png
I've also done a fair mount of stabilizing sections of the lock inletting with wood pins and epoxy and some crack repairs along the fore end.

My one true fear is that I've voided the warranty...

Next I'll free-float the barrel, add an ACOG and convert to belt fed.

Last edited:
Haha. Who has time to buy replacements!
I am guilty of this, especially with woodworking. I see something I like. I say to myself, "I can make that". It usually costs me twice in materials and a whole weekend to do it.

I once saved $30 on front speaker installation in a 1987 Pontiac Grand Prix by spending two whole days completing a half assed hack job by doing it myself. And the dash neve sat back down properly.

Haha. Who has time to buy replacements!
I am guilty of this, especially with woodworking. I see something I like. I say to myself, "I can make that". It usually costs me twice in materials and a whole weekend to do it.
I do this also , I like knowing I can do things it does not mean I really should though

Since this popped back up... I also made an appropriate sling for it. There was no standard sling at this time and muskets were generally not issued with slings. If slings were desired a unit commanded would often have them made locally by your friendly, neighborhood harness maker. I looked at examples, bought a strap of harness leather and a sewing awl and did my worst.

Attachments

• 20210212_174608.jpg
    20210212_174608.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210212_174734.jpg
    20210212_174734.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210212_174822.jpg
    20210212_174822.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 14
I once saved $30 on front speaker installation in a 1987 Pontiac Grand Prix by spending two whole days completing a half assed hack job by doing it myself. And the dash neve sat back down properly.
do people really care about 1987 grand prix.....lol

I acquired a 1795 Springfield Type II from MajSpud and, as I do, completely disassembled it to give it a full health assessment. It was completely fine and serviceable as evidenced by the pumpkins it had laid to waste in the hands of MajSpud.
I did find things I wanted to address; There was an old repair at the wrist to stabilize a crack. A hole had been drilled and a wooden peg glued in. Time passed and the peg now stood proud and the surrounding wood had chipped away, the chips being later filled with putty. Following Murphy's Law, this protruding peg was right where my thumb would rest while taking aim at menacing paper targets and charging, bull pumpkins.
I proceeded to excise the necrotic tissue to below the surface and inlayed a graft. I didn't want to hide the repair so I used what I figured might be an acceptable technique. Hidden under the trigger guard is a 0.250" carbon fiber rod that transects the fracture to add more strength to the repair.

View attachment 444209
Moving on, the screw that clamps the flint didn't look like an original type and was pretty rough. It was also a bit bent and the threads were sloppy. I did a little investigating (looked at a picture) as to the style of screw these used, dug up a chunk of cold rolled steel and made a replacement. Major diameter measured out to +/-0.290" and is a 14 pitch. Once I got it made I case hardened. I didn't want it to look too shiny and new so I didn't expend much effort on the finish. Old screw on the left, value destroying, unholy replacement on the right. While in a case hardening mood I also tidied up the frizzen screw and polished and hardened the frizzen face as the old surface had worn away and was gouged.
View attachment 444269
I think it looks the part...
View attachment 444273
I've also done a fair mount of stabilizing sections of the lock inletting with wood pins and epoxy and some crack repairs along the fore end.

My one true fear is that I've voided the warranty...

Next I'll free-float the barrel, add an ACOG and convert to belt fed.
Impressive. How does one make a screw?

Impressive. How does one make a screw?
I cut the bulk of it on my lathe, single point cut the threads and did some file work for the final shape of the head. Then, cross drilled the hole and cut the slot with a hacksaw. When satisfied with the result I used Cherry Red to case harden.

I cut the bulk of it on my lathe, single point cut the threads and did some file work for the final shape of the head. Then, cross drilled the hole and cut the slot with a hacksaw. When satisfied with the result I used Cherry Red to case harden.
Impressive

Back
Top Bottom