Pistol Access Lockbox

That's why you always keep an opened trigger lock near the handgun. Never put it on the gun. So if the federales come into your house just say, "I just took the lock off then had this medical/other emergency".
And that might work or it might not. Suppose there is a sudden, violent home invasion. You grab the gun, deal with the issue, and then have to deal with the police. Are you going to claim that you either 1) had the trigger lock engaged on a loaded gun or 2) had time to remove the trigger lock, insert your magazine, cycle the slide, remove the magazine, insert the extra round before dealing with the issue? You think they will really believe that? Once police and/or DA suspect you are lying about one thing, they may have a hard time believing you about other things.

Concerning a medical emergency, I don’t see how having a trigger lock next to the gun helps you. Are you going to claim that you felt heart pain, you unlocked your gun because reasons, then passed out? Is that really going to convince anyone?

You can decide that this risk is worth taking. That’s fair. I’m just pointing out that the police might end up in your house without you expecting it or having time to either put the gun away or take other preparations.

That's why you always keep an opened trigger lock near the handgun. Never put it on the gun. So if the federales come into your house just say, "I just took the lock off then had this medical/other emergency".
But you were then rendered unable to keep the gun under your direct control, we'll file charges and let the court sort it out.

Once cop told me how annoyed he was on a call to a tinfoiler's house when the guns leaning up against the wall had trigger locks so he could not seize them.

I did think it now had to be in a box, locked, and thought they may have done something with the loaded/unloaded law stuff, Im 'older', dont get around well, no one else in house to worry about getting it. but Im more likely to have an all-of-a-sudden medical/emt/cop visit like said above. but trigger lock keeps me legal? (hope law doesnt say must be unloaded...)

used to be revolver guy, bought striker fired 9mm. came with a 'cable lock'...they expect you to shove cable down the empty barrel/slide open?? can a trigger lock on that keep me legal with round in chamber?.
so unless its 'on you', it has to be 'securely locked'?....no watching tv with it next to you....no roaming around the house...going into garage...visiting the bathroom? sheesh....

I did think it now had to be in a box, locked, and thought they may have done something with the loaded/unloaded law stuff, Im 'older', dont get around well, no one else in house to worry about getting it. but Im more likely to have an all-of-a-sudden medical/emt/cop visit like said above. but trigger lock keeps me legal? (hope law doesnt say must be unloaded...)

used to be revolver guy, bought striker fired 9mm. came with a 'cable lock'...they expect you to shove cable down the empty barrel/slide open?? can a trigger lock on that keep me legal with round in chamber?.
so unless its 'on you', it has to be 'securely locked'?....no watching tv with it next to you....no roaming around the house...going into garage...visiting the bathroom? sheesh....
If it's under your direct control it's not being "stored". Take from that what you will.

can a trigger lock on that keep me legal with round in chamber?.
The law was posted above. It doesn’t say anything about loaded or unloaded. So, from a legal standpoint, storing a loaded gun with a trigger lock installed appears to be in accordance with the law.

That said, every trigger lock I’ve seen tells you to not put it on a loaded gun and the reason for that should be self-evident (but apparently isn’t): trigger locks have a metal bar that goes through the trigger guard. Sticking a metal bar through the trigger guard of a striker-fired gun that has a round in the chamber is not recommended.

Please don’t put a trigger lock on a loaded gun — that’s an accident waiting to happen.

Not in your control is not in your control. If you are passed out or you fall and can’t get up the gun is not in your control. If they want to pin a charge on you they will.

The law was posted above. It doesn’t say anything about loaded or unloaded. So, from a legal standpoint, storing a loaded gun with a trigger lock installed appears to be in accordance with the law.

That said, every trigger lock I’ve seen tells you to not put it on a loaded gun and the reason for that should be self-evident (but apparently isn’t): trigger locks have a metal bar that goes through the trigger guard. Sticking a metal bar through the trigger guard of a striker-fired gun that has a round in the chamber is not recommended.

Please don’t put a trigger lock on a loaded gun — that’s an accident waiting to happen.
There are some handguns that take triggerlocks safely if properly applied. The trigger lock I used a Franzen (Master lock copy) and the post fits nicely BEHIND the trigger on my S&W 640. Would I ever consider using one of those locks on a loaded Glock or 1911? Nope. And when I do, it's not for security ... except security from prosecution.

There are some handguns that take triggerlocks safely if properly applied. The trigger lock I used a Franzen (Master lock copy) and the post fits nicely BEHIND the trigger on my S&W 640. Would I ever consider using one of those locks on a loaded Glock or 1911? Nope. And when I do, it's not for security ... except security from prosecution.
I do wonder about the legality of putting a trigger lock on a lever action gun, M1 Garand, or M1 A. On the lever gun, open the lever and the lock comes off. On the Garand or M1A, pull down on the trigger guard and the lock comes off.

I believe that I can fit the trigger lock behind the trigger on my S&W K-frames, but not many guns allow that.

I have a couple Vaultek lifepods. One next to bed and the other where my daily itemsfor when I leave the house. Both are great. Bonus to be able to take elsewhere if needed.
Definitely agree, although would suggests the newer larger version. Some full size handguns are difficult to fit, and/or running lights/optics.

Yup, Mass sate law requires your loaded pistol to be locked up when you're a lawfully authorized user is sleeping not carrying or otherwise not in control of your gun.
FTFY.

Wearing it to bed must pass muster.

Maybe if it's sitting on the side table
while clipped into a really long lanyard you're wearing.

Unsecured storage beyond that
sounds the kind of antics pulled by
people who think a judge and jury will fall for
any crazy crap they think up -
because muh amendment.

... Suppose there is a sudden, violent home invasion. You grab the gun, deal with the issue, and then have to deal with the police. Are you going to claim that you either 1) had the trigger lock engaged on a loaded gun or 2) had time to remove the trigger lock, insert your magazine, cycle the slide, remove the magazine, insert the extra round before dealing with the issue? You think they will really believe that? Once police and/or DA suspect you are lying about one thing, they may have a hard time believing you about other things.
What kind of fool would run their mouth about any of that to the cops?

Last edited:
What kind of fool would run their mouth about any of that to the cops?
I’ve attended a couple presentations by MA defense attorneys. Based on what they said, many of their defendants have run their mouths about much more serious issues to cops, resulting in felony convictions.

Vaultek has been worth every penny. For something I use at least twice a day its been a such an improvement over manual lock boxes.

I have the Vaultek VT20i, has keypad and fingerprint access. Works well for me.

Been using a Vaultek VT20 for a little over 3 years with no issues. Like some others, it comes with a cable so you can tether it. I have the cable attached to the inside of my truck in case I find the need to lock my gun up while I'm out.

I have a couple Vaultek lifepods. One next to bed and the other where my daily itemsfor when I leave the house. Both are great. Bonus to be able to take elsewhere if needed.
I have a larger VAULTEK on my nightstand with my bump in the night VP9. Recently got a good deal on a life pod so I stuck it next to my “EDC” tray in the kitchen. I like it but my G43 doesn’t fit while holstered. Just something to consider. The lifepod had an organization “pouch” that is attached the top portion when it opens. You could keep cards, wallet cash etc.

I’m going to upgrade to a larger one for the night stand and keep my G43 and VP9 in it together and move the life pod to the truck.

what about issues of loaded taurus g3c, if there is a trigger lock that fits on it with the bar behind the trigger? even thou the maker 'recommends' it not be loaded to cover themselves, would this be considered okay?

NH Resident here - I have a VaulTek Slider NSL20i arriving tomorrow. I plan to mount behind the passenger seat of my Hyundai Tucson for access by reaching back behind with my right arm. I’ll hang a seat organizer over it to obscure it from sight. More to store a gun if I go into a place I cannot carry than as a primary gun storage place.

I’m not too keen on keeping a gun in the car, but know many who do. I’ve never had a car theft, but reports suggest gun theft from cars doubled in recent years (along with most other crime).

Uh, not like this…that’s gun-nut utopian society stuff 😅

52D19A2F-0FA1-479A-B4F8-FA3CA0F47F9A.jpeg

what about issues of loaded taurus g3c, if there is a trigger lock that fits on it with the bar behind the trigger? even thou the maker 'recommends' it not be loaded to cover themselves, would this be considered okay?
You're not likely to find a lot of folks in here with that pistol, I expect you'll have to test for yourself.

The big issue is that it's a tragically foolish idea with any firearm. They're really bad security, first. And second, you're putting it on a loaded firearm because you want fast access. In the event you need it, there's a higher risk that you fumble with the lock whose shaft is in the trigger guard.

If I wanted to use a lock rather than a lock box on an otherwise loaded gun, I'd run a cable through the barrel and ejection port. Then the action is: unlock, pull cable, drop slide on loaded magazine, align sights and bang

Last edited:
You're not likely to find a lot of folks in here with that pistol, I expect you'll have to test for yourself.

The big issue is that it's a tragically foolish idea with any firearm. They're really bad security, first. And second, you're putting it on a loaded firearm because you want fast access. In the event you need it, there's a higher risk that you fumble with the lock whose shaft is in the trigger guard.

If I wanted to use a lock rather than a lock box on an otherwise loaded gun, I'd run a cable through the barrel and ejection port. Then the action is: unlock, pull cable, drop slide on loaded magazine, assign sights and bang

Yeah, I would never use a trigger lock on a loaded firearm. There's just too much risk of fumbling around trying to unlock it. The only thing that should ever go inside the trigger guard of a loaded firearm is your finger when you're pulling that trigger.

I would definitely get a quick access safe for the nightstand if you want to store it loaded for bump in the night situations, or store it unloaded with a cable lock like @Mesatchornug suggested.

52d19a2f-0fa1-479a-b4f8-fa3ca0f47f9a-jpeg.624881
6j3pd2.jpg

Posting your ideas online is a really bad idea.

And that might work or it might not. Suppose there is a sudden, violent home invasion. You grab the gun, deal with the issue, and then have to deal with the police. Are you going to claim that you either 1) had the trigger lock engaged on a loaded gun or 2) had time to remove the trigger lock, insert your magazine, cycle the slide, remove the magazine, insert the extra round before dealing with the issue? You think they will really believe that? Once police and/or DA suspect you are lying about one thing, they may have a hard time believing you about other things.

Concerning a medical emergency, I don’t see how having a trigger lock next to the gun helps you. Are you going to claim that you felt heart pain, you unlocked your gun because reasons, then passed out? Is that really going to convince anyone?

You can decide that this risk is worth taking. That’s fair. I’m just pointing out that the police might end up in your house without you expecting it or having time to either put the gun away or take other preparations.
All incorrect.

You don't claim anything. YOU LET THE LAWYER TALK. ALWAYS!

Guaranteed no one can prove how fast you can get the gun.

Inserting a mag and racking the slide takes less than a second if you practice a little.

Maybe you heard the guy entering the house and got suspicious which gave you 7 to 10 seconds. Maybe you were awake reading a book and had the gun on you.

No one can prove these things unless you are stupid enough to think you can explain your way out of it without a lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom