Pistol for a newbie

jon

Hello all, I have lurked around here for a few months off and on. I recently just took my NRA basic pistol course in preperation of obtaining my pistol permit in CT. (Took the course at the andover Sportsmen's club with a great group of instructors)

So what I am looking for is a good pistol for a newbie to practice with. I know that .22 rimfire seems to be a good bet. I prefer it to be a semiauto. I used the Walther P22 in the course and i was a little small for my hands. I have also heard (using the search) about the ruger MK 2 and 3.

any other reccomendations for a reasonably priced starter for some practice?

Also any suggestions for a non .22 pistol would be welcome. I was also able to shoot a glock 19 in 9mm (hated it) and a Colt Commander 1911 in 9mm (loved it)

Welcome to the forum!

Check out Four Seasons in Woburn for their used .22s. I bought a used S&W 622 for my Wife and both of us love it.

Try out a 1911 in .45 if you have some shooting experience. Otherwise keep i the 9mm arena (much easier on the wallet). Walther P99 is a good bet in 9mm.

Take a ride out to Smith and Wesson in Springfield. You can rent and shoot
a variety of guns and make more of an informed decision. The range is brand
new and is great.... its a cheap date. Might cost $50...

JimB

I agree with JimB.

The S&W range shouldn't be too far of a drive from CT either. I was a member at the range last year, and they have a great facility. I just didn't use it enough to pay the $$. Still shoot IDPA there though.

So much of what you like or don't like in a pistol is dependant on your hand size, recoil sensitivity, etc. so it's tough to say buy X gun. I would have said the Glock was a great bet, but you hated it (for instance).

S&W probably has close to 100 handguns available for your to shoot revolvers and pistols. I believe they have .22s, but I'm not positive. Call the range: 800-331-0852. I think they're open from 10am - 9pm.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Check out Four Seasons in Woburn for their used .22s. I bought a used S&W 622 for my Wife and both of us love it.

Try out a 1911 in .45 if you have some shooting experience. Otherwise keep i the 9mm arena (much easier on the wallet). Walther P99 is a good bet in 9mm.

Not much shooting experience in the pistol arena. So I was gonna stick with the 22 and the 9mm for now. THanks for the rec of the 622

I agree with JimB.

The S&W range shouldn't be too far of a drive from CT either. I was a member at the range last year, and they have a great facility. I just didn't use it enough to pay the $$. Still shoot IDPA there though.

So much of what you like or don't like in a pistol is dependant on your hand size, recoil sensitivity, etc. so it's tough to say buy X gun. I would have said the Glock was a great bet, but you hated it (for instance).

S&W probably has close to 100 handguns available for your to shoot revolvers and pistols. I believe they have .22s, but I'm not positive. Call the range: 800-331-0852. I think they're open from 10am - 9pm.

Good luck!

Problem withthe Glock is the grip angle. (didn't realize it but I learned afterward it is a common complaint. Otherwise I liked it. From that I thought maybe an XD9 or a P99.

Also while I am a CT resident, there is a HIGH likelyhood I will be moving to massacommiechusetts later in the year for a job. So i figure I might as well get what I can, when I can.

Whereabouts in CT are you? Check out Bob's Gun Exchange in Darien (just over the Norwalk border)...See Kevin. He's pretty knowledgable about guns and is the most willing-to-help you person in the shop.

It may not be the biggest shop (The first half of the store, he sells unpainted furniture...seriously), but he usually had a pretty good selection to choose from.

The Ruger MkII/MkIII is a great pistol, and if you decide you want to get into competition, you can start with this right out of the box (though a trigger job will help alot). Unfortunately you won't be able to rent it at S&W. S&W22 is also supposed to be good, but the grip doesn't fit me well.

Try lots of pistols, then try some more.

Matt

There are two shops in Newington, CT that gets rave reviews.

Newington Gun Exchange
210 Market Square, Newington, CT 06111

Hoffman's Gun Center, Inc.
2585 Berlin Turnpike Newington, CT 06111

I've read good things about both places on other forums, but have never visited either one of them.

So the SW99 and the Walther P99 look like the same gun to me.

I know SW owns walther so are they?

Alright so after talking to the LEO friends of mine.

THey are suggesting get the .22 and a .40

So I would still be looking at the XD, the SW99/P99, and also thinking about the S&W M&P and Sig P229.

Also tossing around the idea of picking up a glock to play with and see how I like it after getting used to it, and then just selling once I move to MA if I don't like it.

Jon

jon,

S&W does NOT own Walther. S&W IMPORTS Walther guns to the US and supports them. They also have some sort of deal where S&W builds their own upper on a Walther lower to make at least some of the guns here.

The SW99 is a cheap version of the P99. If you get a chance to play with both side by side at a gun store, you will see the difference. If you shake them you will hear the difference. The P99 is made to much tighter tolerances, and generally "feels" higher quality. And the P99 is made in Germany, accept no substitute or you will be sorry.

Also, if you don't mind the size, the SIG P229 in .40 is an excellent pistol, low recoil, great for a beginner (or expert). I love mine in DA/SA, but you can also get it in DAO, known as "DAK". I like the trigger of the DA/SA better because the single action mode is muuuuch nicer.

Jon, you might want to look at a nice Browning Buckmark 22 auto. I don't think we can buy them in Mass, but you could in CT, and bring it to MA when you come. Like the Ruger, it's a great learning gun, plinker and small game gun. There are many versions. I hae one and I love it

Jon, you might want to look at a nice Browning Buckmark 22 auto. I don't think we can buy them in Mass, but you could in CT, and bring it to MA when you come. Like the Ruger, it's a great learning gun, plinker and small game gun. There are many versions. I hae one and I love it

That is a great suggestion. I have one I use for bullseye and I love it. I'm so MA oriented ([crying]) I didn't even think about it as an option as they are not easy to find here.

Back
Top Bottom