Pistol License - Exeter NH waiting period?

Tomorrow will be three weeks since I submitted my application.

I guess my next step will be to see if my references have been called or contacted.

I'm not in a rush and don't plan to carry(yet), but I am looking to see how long others in Exeter have had to wait.

I know the law says they have 2 weeks, and I don't want to be an a-hole or anything...

Thanks,
Dan

Call and ask.

They may contact your references, but there is no legal requirement that they do. The only legal criteria for a NH pistol license is that you be a "suitable person" to purchase a pistol ie can pass the NHSP background check. If a reference states you are a flaming loon, unless you are a convicted, involuntarily committed or under a restraining order flaming loon there is no legal reason for denial.

It does seem that some PD's take their time in following the law.

I would absolutely call. My license took well over a month, which is not legal. I called after 3 weeks, asked if there was any issue, and very nicely reminded them of the 14 day law. It's a tough position to be in, reminding the Police department what the law says, but they need to obey it as well.

I would call.

Call, they checked all of my references AND issued mine in just over a week. Granted my town has the most helpful Fire/Police/Town Hall workers ever (and is very small) but still.

Call! My wife's was issued in one day, and none of the references were called.

There is no legal reason for delaying this past 14 days, and they can't deny you because you call to remind them of that.

Call today.

Don't assume malice

Tomorrow will be three weeks since I submitted my application.

I guess my next step will be to see if my references have been called or contacted.

I'm not in a rush and don't plan to carry(yet), but I am looking to see how long others in Exeter have had to wait.

I know the law says they have 2 weeks, and I don't want to be an a-hole or anything...

Thanks,
Dan

I wouldn't automatically assume malice.

Exeter is pretty messed up right now because of the flooding. I was at Exeter Town Hall last week and they had extended their hours to handle all of the problems, and there was still a long line of people getting dump permits, transferring license plates from damaged vehicles, etc.

Just call the police and ask if its ready to pick up, and if they say no, ask why and remind them - nicely - of the statutory issue period.

I think that a polite phone call to 'push' a bit would be appropriate. If they don't respond quickly and get your license in your hands ASAP, it may be time to consider more forceful avenues (lawyer?).

No officer ever politely told a citizen they were driving on an expired license. You have a specific amount of time to renew it, by law. Along the same lines they have a specific amount of time to either grant or deny you your pistol license. The excuse "there is a lot going on at home, I am sorry" would never work with an officer. I do not think the flooding should excuse their disregard of the law.

That being said, I will repeat my suggestion to call first and just give a slight push. No need to jump overboard just yet.

Exeter took 2 weeks to do mine. Call and tell them you're coming down tomorrow at 3pm (or whatever) to pick it up. They can do it; I know. And it's really not a complicated process! 2 weeks is actually pretty generous for that amount of paperwork.

Update: It is ready for me to pick it up! The person I spoke with apologized, as it had been ready for some time and didn't know why no one called me.

Back
Top Bottom