• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Places for pinning/welding in Metrowest area?

Would appreciate any suggestions on where to get a new AR upper pinned & welded in the metro west area, which I guess also raises the question of are there any forum 'go-to' AR smiths you'd recommend around here? Thanks.

Check out Precision Point in Woburn too. I don’t know if Chris does that work himself, but he runs a good shop.

Joined Dec 18, 2013 Messages 17 Likes 1

Is that you Martha???

Sorry your going to get a lot of those questions asking stuff like that with that few posts and a join in 2013... Not being an AH, just saying, asking an AR question like that...

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2013 Messages 17 Likes 1

Is that you Martha???

Sorry your going to get a lot of those questions asking stuff like that with that few posts and a join in 2018... Not being an AH, just saying, asking an AR question like that...

There's one sad little man in every crowd. Found him! Also, the join was 2013, but I guess reading comprehension ain't what it used to be.

depending on what kind of stock you have, look into stock lok.

Thanks man. For piece of mind I paid up for a pre-94 Colt and I'm building my first AR. Looking at stocks now. Just bought a Knights SR-15 upper and researching scopes and stocks now.

There's one sad little man in every crowd. Found him! Also, the join was 2013, but I guess reading comprehension ain't what it used to be.
OK you got me, I hit the 8 instead of the 3, whoops... If you look at the top of my post it's correct... It's still a loaded question... Like I said I wasn't being an AH, I was just pointing something out... Plus you have to be ready as a "newbie" (so few posts) to get a little heckling, it happens all the time on here in good fun... If you had expanded on your question it wouldn't of looked so questionable either...

Only true is barrel is 16”+. He could be pinning at 14.5” barrel

Nailed it. Like a guy on his tiptoes in the class picture, I'm stretching for that 16" and need the three-pronged flash suppressor to get me there.

No harm DavidC77, all good and the folks here have been incredibly helpful. I guess the few posts I have follow the maxim that God gave me two ears and one mouth for a reason. Have been reading up for 7 years and would rather be thought an idiot on this stuff than open my mouth and confirm it. Truth be told my interest in this stuff tends to ebb and flow w/the economy. Last time I was looking for pistols when the world felt like it was coming to an end with the Great Recession, and now's not a bad time to upgrade the collection either.

As my focus shifts to the stocks, any suggestions with the 14.5" pinned barrel? Had the opportunity to try a buddy's SB3 and it was too short for me. Given the pre-ban status, I can add something adjustable and fun, but they all look like a collection of plastic, poles and springs to me at this point if I'm being honest.

Doesn't sub-16" put you in NFA territory, even using pre-ban in MA?
YES .. it does! If you have a 14.5 inch Barrel AND you're going to PERMANENTLY WELD the "Muzzle Brake" on it..... you're good to go... If it's anything LESS than 16 inches.. You're headed into NFA Act of 1934 Territory.... ( Short Barrel Rifle )

Last edited:
I followed the advice on here and went with Saxonville - they did a great job on my KAC SR-15 upper.

Went by Pullman today, looks like the smith is not there on a regular interval so gonna try saxonville

Just recently called them about their smith and they said he is there once a month. They suggested I call back in August?!

If it's pre Sept 1994 you don't have to pin & weld anything!! enjoy.

He might have to if his build uses a barrel shorter than 16", he'd still have to P&W to meet minimum length to stay out of the NFA. A lot of people will buy a 14.5in BBL and then pin on their FH or whatever to bring it out to 16". So its pin + weld for fed reasons, not MA.

I wish it was pre-AWB...

But it is not. So went to MAGA and they did it while I waited. Really nice group of folks over there. Big thumbs up...

Back
Top Bottom