Plan ahead - legal way to get fully legal AR Rifle.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hey all,

I've been looking on Hoffman's gun website and noticed the huge number of "other" style ARs. I am pretty certain that at some point the CT legislature will close this loop hole. At that point they will most likely grandfather in the old ones and require you to register them as AWs.

My thought is that if you missed the boat on buying a normal AR Rifle, this could be a good hedge. Once theyare classified as AWs, you can built it into any configuration that is fed legal.

Like a trooper said to me after the 2013 ban and a question about whether post 94 guns could be changed over to pre94 configurations,"Its not like it can be any more of an AW. Yes, it can be converted".

I realize that this is a bit out there. But if you have some spare cash, but don't want to spent $1800 for a pre-ban gun, maybe picking up a $600 "other" might not be a bad idea.

If I had to spend $1800 on one gun, I'd sooner spend it on a 28 foot Penske moving truck and move to somewhere without all the foolish gun restrictions. [smile]

That's an incredibly stupid, pointless and poorly thought out statement. (I'm not saying you are a stupid human being. Just that you've had a brief moment of idiocy)

You don't move out of a state where you have a job, family, and friends over $1800.

Do you realize what an inconsequential amount of money $1800 is?? That's a $900 AR and 3000 rounds of ammunition. Its a rounding error in the big picture of life.
CT sucks for a lot of reasons. But a good job, family and friends, not to mention an upside down mortgage (CT real estate hasn't recovered to 2007 levels) can be pretty good glue.

The reality is that there is not a single CT gun law that can't be LAWFULLY circumvented with the judicious application of money.

I was just suggesting another possible way around some of them.

Last edited:
You should be able to find a preban lower for under $1000 all day long also. It’s more the mag capacity limits that limit the effectiveness and utility of the platform.

What are these "other" style ARs? Just curious..

They are firearms that don't fit into the state or feds definition of either a riflle, handgun, or shotgun. As such they are simply firearms.

The 2013 CT AWB that pretty much outlawed any future production of AR rifles or pistols doesn't have any language to firearms that don't meet the definition of a rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

So if you buy one this way, its legal in CT, with all the evil features you want. Provided the bbl is a certain length, it has a VFG, and an arm brace rather than a stock.

I haven't bothered to understand the details of how this works. Its all over the internets if you want to invest the time. But it does work. These are fully functional ARs that are legally for sale in CT.

For example, see below. You can legally put a telescoping arm brace on this.

Check out this link. Also, there are a number of shops that will build custom "other" firearms in CT. But these are some examples of off the shelf firearms.

I’m not from CT but I’m curious is this classified as an AOW with the feds? So you still pay a $200 tax stamp? I’m curious since it has a VFG in the link

It is not. Again, I haven't bothered to read up on the details of how. (Since I've since moved out of CT and also have a lifetime supply of pre-ban lowers) But you can buy it over the counter in CT.

Go here. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and read the letter on the bottom right. He explains the legality.

In short its not a rifle because it doesn't have a stock.
Its not an AOW because its over 26" length and has a VFG
Its not a pistol because it has VFG

This is very slick! I didn't know about this work around to the abusive Connecticut law until today when I stopped by Hoffman's and the Newington Gun and saw these "other" firearms for the first time. One of the reason I hit the shops was to find out how much a pre 1994 AR might currently fetch in the Connecticut market. A while back people were getting $2,500 to $3,000 for preban Colt HBAR Sporters. However, not any more, now it's more like $1,700. When I ask why hat was, I was told it was because the "others" were now available and that's what people were buying. It certainly seems like a golden chance for people in Connecticut who may have missed the AR boat in the past.

I picked one up and found it to be a very tidy and compact package. Unfortunately, I guess overall length, weight and other various restrictions here is Massachusetts means they'll never be legal here. What a shame. And I guess it won't be too long before Hartford forecloses the opportunity to buy/own one. Then there's ATF which has been hot and cold about whether an "arm brace" can be placed in contact to one's shoulder and still be considered legal. My guess is the arm braces could get the same treatment as bump stocks. Still, those little "other" items are pretty slick, very compact and look like a heck of a lot of fun
to own.

Back
Top Bottom