Planning to Buy a New Monitor

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Seeing as I'm spending a lot more time at home lately I want to get a monitor to supplement my new laptop while I have my graduate classes moved online for the foreseeable future.
I have an Nvidia RTX2070 graphics card and spend just as much time gaming as I do class work and I've been very impressed with it.
I have a 27" monitor in the center of my array at work so I would probably want to start there and see what any of you would recommend. I've looked at some of the top brands that come up and I'm still not sure I comprehend the sweet spot for my card between size, resolution and refresh rate.
From the little I've picked up so far, 2k resolution is where I want to be while keeping the refresh rate high and screen latency low.

Here's one I'm leaning towards if I go larger than 27:
Acer Predator X34 Pbmiphzx 34" UW-QHD - Micro Center

And If I stick to 27:
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" WQHD 165Hz - Micro Center

Any recommendations from the IT/Gaming hive mind here?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't know, but what I did last year is go big.... 34 inch 4k. But here is the thing, most large monitors have a ridiculous aspect ratio, only 1024 pixels high but super wide. I hate that. I stuck with a 16x9 and Iove it. I dumped my two 24 inch monitors I used to use and just went with one giant monitor.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
I think @Golddiggie, the maple syrup nazi, started a thread on this late last year and is probably still relevant.
I picked a pair of 27" 4K ViewSonic displays since I'm NOT gaming and needed something with more than a one year warranty on it. I wanted better than what I have at work (two QHD 27" Dell displays) for here in my home office. The displays have a very small bezel area, so when set beside each other there's not much 'dead space' between them. I'm also using an USB-C docking station to connect them to either my personal or work laptop.

As for the maple syrup, that's only pre-November 2016. :p

Baby Billy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 24" 16x10. I'm enjoying the larger format. $100 a piece. Well worth it now that I'm usually working from home.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I built a new PC with an RTX 2080ti and was in the same boat looking for a monitor. I did a ton of research and went with that exact ROG Swift monitor. I forget my reasoning at the time but it had something to do with refresh rates and performance being my deciding factor. I got my ROG Swift for around $730 shipped a couple years ago. It's been perfect for my purposes - no dead pixels, stray lines, or random blinking/flashing some reviewers have reported. Get the ROG Swift for performance and Acer Predator if you want some some eye candy. The Predator ain't no slouch either though so whichever you go with I'm sure you'll be happy with.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an HP Omen 32” QHD. It is a couple years old at this point, but it was excellent bang for the buck at the time. I’ve been very happy with it (mostly CAD work).

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I’ve got two “offices” at home. Mine and work. In both of them I have dell 34” monitors. At my office, I have another dell 34” and dell 27”.
I would never buy anything smaller than 34”.

upgrading the keyboard and mouse is another worthwhile upgrade. I’ve got DAS brown and Logitech Mx master everywhere.

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
upgrading the keyboard and mouse is another worthwhile upgrade. I’ve got DAS brown and Logitech Mx master everywhere.
Absolutely! I like my razer nagas. A good mouse and keyboard makes all the difference.

Continuing this ‘theme’, for me, using a riser of some sort to get my monitor up into my natural line of sight is huge. Don’t overlook the low hanging fruit!

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I built a new PC with an RTX 2080ti and was in the same boat looking for a monitor. I did a ton of research and went with that exact ROG Swift monitor. I forget my reasoning at the time but it had something to do with refresh rates and performance being my deciding factor. I got my ROG Swift for around $730 shipped a couple years ago. It's been perfect for my purposes - no dead pixels, stray lines, or random blinking/flashing some reviewers have reported. Get the ROG Swift for performance and Acer Predator if you want some some eye candy. The Predator ain't no slouch either though so whichever you go with I'm sure you'll be happy with.
I picked up the ASUS today because apparently I’m an impulse buyer... set everything up and went to plug in the DisplayPort, but I don’t have a full sized connector port on my laptop it’s a USB C port. f***... I’ll be stopping by again tomorrow for the right cable. Looks respectable for basic web browsing on the hdmi input though.

Absolutely! I like my razer nagas. A good mouse and keyboard makes all the difference.

Continuing this ‘theme’, for me, using a riser of some sort to get my monitor up into my natural line of sight is huge. Don’t overlook the low hanging fruit!
The height on this stand is pretty respectable. I’m a tall guy and even in the cheap chair I have it can reach slightly above my eye level.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Seeing as I'm spending a lot more time at home lately I want to get a monitor to supplement my new laptop while I have my graduate classes moved online for the foreseeable future.
I have an Nvidia RTX2070 graphics card and spend just as much time gaming as I do class work and I've been very impressed with it.
I have a 27" monitor in the center of my array at work so I would probably want to start there and see what any of you would recommend. I've looked at some of the top brands that come up and I'm still not sure I comprehend the sweet spot for my card between size, resolution and refresh rate.
From the little I've picked up so far, 2k resolution is where I want to be while keeping the refresh rate high and screen latency low.

Here's one I'm leaning towards if I go larger than 27:
Acer Predator X34 Pbmiphzx 34" UW-QHD - Micro Center

And If I stick to 27:
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" WQHD 165Hz - Micro Center

Any recommendations from the IT/Gaming hive mind here?
I would get the Asus VG27AQ, it's newer and better than the PG279Q which is a couple years old.

I got one a couple months ago, it's great - I have issues with the DP connection, but I think it's likely my old video card (GTX 660 Ti), since I returned one and the new one is the same. It works fine with my laptop and DP.

It's the only monitor I think that'll do black frame insertion + Freesync. Not sure that matters. My video card is too slow to make use of this monitor, but it looks great for photo editing and will grow with me when I get a new PC. I got mine from Microcenter, but I don't see it listed anymore.

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I bought a 34" LG 21:9 curved screen like 3 years ago and it's fantastic. Once you get a double wide you won't ever want to go back to two side-by-sides. The model I have is defunct but LG continues to make good priced $400ish screens with just a slight curve.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought 2 24" 16x10. I'm enjoying the larger format. $100 a piece. Well worth it now that I'm usually working from home.
The Dell U2415 is simply awesome (24" 16x10). We have 2 of them in the family. I upgraded to a 27" 1440p, but honestly I'd be happy with the Dell, and I prefer 16:10.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I picked up the ASUS today because apparently I’m an impulse buyer... set everything up and went to plug in the DisplayPort, but I don’t have a full sized connector port on my laptop it’s a USB C port. f***... I’ll be stopping by again tomorrow for the right cable. Looks respectable for basic web browsing on the hdmi input though.
That monitor doesn't have a USB-C input, probably your laptop has a mini DisplayPort output.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I bought a 34" LG 21:9 curved screen like 3 years ago and it's fantastic. Once you get a double wide you won't ever want to go back to two side-by-sides. The model I have is defunct but LG continues to make good priced $400ish screens with just a slight curve.
LG makes a lot of flat screens too, I have been telling people at work to get the 4K 27"s they sell and a few people I know that
bought them have been very happy with them. They make a lot of junk but their monitors are pretty well
regarded.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The Dell U2415 is simply awesome (24" 16x10). We have 2 of them in the family. I upgraded to a 27" 1440p, but honestly I'd be happy with the Dell, and I prefer 16:10.
I sell a metric shit ton of Dell Ultrasharps every year (Hell I am typing this on a machine with a U2415 on it now) but Dell doesn't
have a lot of choices for 4K/27" at all.

-Mike

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LG makes a lot of flat screens too, I have been telling people at work to get the 4K 27"s they sell and a few people I know that
bought them have been very happy with them. They make a lot of junk but their monitors are pretty well
regarded.

-Mike
LG 27GL850 would be a close second behind the Asus VG27AQ - but also not in stock yet at Microcenter.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That monitor doesn't have a USB-C input, probably your laptop has a mini DisplayPort output.
No it’s a USB-C port.
One thing I didn’t account for was the lack of cables that go USB-C to DisplayPort. Plenty of adapters and only a handful of cables that are online only. Should have spent more time looking into a monitor that used HDMI 2.0 instead maybe.

pdm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm rolling with a pair of Dell S2417DG monitors, 2K 144Hz refresh, bought for gaming, coming in handy now that I'm working from home all the time.

Last edited:

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No it’s a USB-C port.
One thing I didn’t account for was the lack of cables that go USB-C to DisplayPort. Plenty of adapters and only a handful of cables that are online only. Should have spent more time looking into a monitor that used HDMI 2.0 instead maybe.
So the laptop has no DP or mini-DP output? Surprised it didn't come with any cable adapters.

I know they can be expensive but what about a docking station? The newer ones have USB-C inputs and DP outputs.

You could run it off HDMI 1 until you find the cable right? Does it just limit you to 60Hz?

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No it’s a USB-C port.
How about this? Support 4K at 60 Hz, not sure about 1440p refresh rates.

If you use them, use fast shipping, their slow shipping is brutally slow to Mass.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have 2x Asus 27" 4k displays and love both of them. I paid $350 -$400 ea 1 - 2 years ago and the price is way down from that now. I would buy them again (sorry, model number isn't apparent on the front bezel).

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know they can be expensive but what about a docking station? The newer ones have USB-C inputs and DP outputs.

You could run it off HDMI 1 until you find the cable right? Does it just limit you to 60Hz?
It doesn’t look like they have docks for this model laptop.
And for right now the monitor is useable on 60Hz but it’s not the reason I bought it lol

Between the link you posted and what I’m finding online, I’ll probably buy one from amazon. I was hoping to get one today but Microcenter only seems to have the adapters in stock and they aren’t cheap.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It doesn’t look like they have docks for this model laptop.
And for right now the monitor is useable on 60Hz but it’s not the reason I bought it lol

Between the link you posted and what I’m finding online, I’ll probably buy one from amazon. I was hoping to get one today but Microcenter only seems to have the adapters in stock and they aren’t cheap.
Amazon will be faster I'm sure.

Cool, you can always return the monitor within 30 days if you want a different model. Pretty sure that's the return policy anyway.

Check out the VG27AQ, it's the top-rated gaming monitor on rtings.com. Mine's stuck at 60Hz too (HDMI) til I get a new video card (if that's even the issue). I'm waiting on some decent sales on a GTX 1660 Super or 2060.

Top Bottom